• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you certain that God exists?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Sabio said:
Empirical evidence is not obtainable for the existance or non-existance of God.

Empirical evidence only deals with the "material world" or what can be determined with the human senses, God is not part of the material world, He is spirit, thus empiricism cannot prove or disprove God.

The argument that "there is no God" because He cannot be "observed" or detected by the human senses (in person or artifacts) is false.

To prove / disprove God one must use methods that apply to the "non-material world". (spriritual world)

Sabio
I quite agree with that. Yes, Sabio, as amazing as it may sound with our little history, I very much agree with you.;)

Also, I am also quite familiar with Joseph Campbell, and Carl Jung if anyone cares to know, so I know very well the stances they hold. And I will say this much, they do make a lot of sense in what they say, however...just because they rationalize it down to collective unconsciousness (which I do believe in as well) does not mean that there isn't a basis for that that lies in the beyond our physical (however you want to call it). Campbell points out that the mythological stories and legends of just about every religion are very much the same, following the same archetypes and everything. This can not only be taken as proof of a collective unconsciousness, but also that there just might be something to it all beyond that. If every religion has stories involving a certain event (such as death, crossing over, what-have-you) then it may just be possible that the collective unconscious that holds those thoughts are affected by something beyond which that we can see...for isn't the collective unconscious beyond which we can see anyway? It is an hypothesis like any other to try to explain why the religions can be so comparable, and even why they exist. Why is it impossible to consider that the collective unconscious is infused in us, instead of created by us? For the archetypes and myths of every religion are very much alike, but the geographical origins of these religions are very spread out, and to compare the Iroquois Creation myth to the Christian Creation myth you find a lot of commonalities and correspondences, but these myths originated in completely different areas of the world. Collective unconscious or Divine being, that is for someone to decide or take together as a whole.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Cynic said:
I believe that most things can be effectively and thoroughly explained by using the scientific process.

Feelings are a physiological response to a stimulus, it is a completely biological process. Feelings are processed based on perceptual information. Perception is not always reliable.

But wind is objectively there and is fully observable.

Are you certain? and what evidense supports that certainty?

The universe is not exactly in order.

Who made God?

What mathematical equation did they use that came to this conclusion?

I call it the divine fallacy.

IMO there is no such thing, it's simply superstitious belief.

The scientific process begins with a hypothesis, it doesn't end there.

Obviously you know little about science

There is no evidense to show that God does not exist, but there is no evidense to show that God exists either. So how can anyone be certain when there is nothing to support certainty? IMO it is not possible to be certain.

So you accept that there is not enough evidence to support, which means that that gives you the apparent right to say that you don't believe in God, but you also admit that there is no evidence to disprove - but that is conveniently forgotten..........

Kind of a bit picky in your logical methodology.......:)

Cynic

michel said:
[/color]

So you accept that there is not enough evidence to support, which means that that gives you the apparent right to say that you don't believe in God, but you also admit that there is no evidence to disprove - but that is conveniently forgotten..........

Kind of a bit picky in your logical methodology.......:)
Agnosticism is a sort of neutral but coherent standpoint.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Cynic said:
Agnosticism is a sort of neutral but coherent standpoint.
Nice and safe too; sounds a bit like a win-win situation. I never thought about that; you die, and there is nothing, you were right. You die, and find out there is a God, and you say "Well, I didn't say that I refused to believe that you exist, I did say I just didn't know.............."
icon12.gif

Cynic

michel said:
Nice and safe too; sounds a bit like a win-win situation. I never thought about that; you die, and there is nothing, you were right. You die, and find out there is a God, and you say "Well, I didn't say that I refused to believe that you exist, I did say I just didn't know.............."
icon12.gif
If there is a murder, and you were asked to testify against a suspect because you thought you saw or felt that this person committed the crime, yet you lacked any objective evidense to support this certainty, would you still testify, even if there is a possibility that your assumptions might have been innaccurate and that you may be testifying againts someone who is innocent?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Cynic said:
If there is a murder, and you were asked to testify against a suspect because you thought you saw or felt that this person committed the crime, yet you lacked any objective evidense to support this certainty, would you still testify, even if there is a possibility that your assumptions might have been innaccurate and that you may be testifying againts someone who is innocent?
There is a vast difference between the uncertainty which might have resulted in the wrongful conviction and the uncertainty which would provide you with some better scenario.:)

Cynic

michel said:
There is a vast difference between the uncertainty which might have resulted in the wrongful conviction and the uncertainty which would provide you with some better scenario.:)
What is the difference in uncertainty? You do not have evidense, only thoughts and feelings to support your certainty about the existance of God, which is entirely subjective and not objective. This is just the same as the uncertainty in the scenario. You come to a conclusion and testify something without any objective evidense to support your certainty.

Depsite the scenario which might end in a wrongfull conviction, in general do you make a conviction simply because you think or feel, without considering the possiblity that these thoughts and feelings may be inaccurate?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Cynic said:
What is the difference in uncertainty? You do not have evidense, only thoughts and feelings to support your certainty about the existance of God, which is entirely subjective and not objective. This is just the same as the uncertainty in the scenario.

Depsite the scenario which might end in a wrongfull conviction, in general do you make a conviction simply because you think or feel, without considering the possiblity that these thoughts and feelings may be inaccurate?
Sometimes; when there is no physical evidence that is directly and positively attributable as proof, we resort to intuition.............:)

Cynic

michel said:
Sometimes; when there is no physical evidence that is directly and positively attributable as proof, we resort to intuition.............:)
Intuition is not reliable.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Cynic said:
Intuition is not reliable.
Really ? It may not be foolproof - but very few things are in this world. Maybe you haven't developed yours then.
icon12.gif

Cynic

michel said:
Really ? It may not be foolproof - but very few things are in this world. Maybe you haven't developed yours then.
icon12.gif
Yes, I have developed my "intuition", but the use of intuition excluding any rational processes to come to a conclusion leaves one susceptible to fallacy.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Cynic said:
The use of intuition excluding any rational processes to come to a conlusion seems IMO, is susceptible to fallacy.
Right you are. Prove to me conclusively that that big yellow circle in the sky is the sun.:)

Dr. Nosophoros

At least they have a picture of it

God exists because many need for him to, they need purpose, fulfillment, and a chance at an afterlife- death cannot be it! The ego driven self deification obscures the fact that we as human animals are really that insignificant in the grand scheme of things but to humble ourselves to ourselves is the most difficult but important step. This is not to say that the ego is useless, it is useful and it fuels our survival, but false ego, the one that places us above all else is the one that must be destroyed in the mind.

There is a saying:

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]If all the green things were taken from the earth, there could be no life. If all the four legged creatures were taken from the earth their could be no life, if all the winged creatures were taken from the earth, there could be no life. If all our relatives who crawl and swim and live within the earth were taken away, there could be no life, but if all the human beings were taken away, life on earth would flourish.
[/font][/font]

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Dr. Nosophoros said:
At least they have a picture of it

God exists because many need for him to, they need purpose, fulfillment, and a chance at an afterlife- death cannot be it! The ego driven self deification obscures the fact that we as human animals are really that insignificant in the grand scheme of things but to humble ourselves to ourselves is the most difficult but important step. This is not to say that the ego is useless, it is useful and it fuels our survival, but false ego, the one that places us above all else is the one that must be destroyed in the mind.

There is a saying:

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]If all the green things were taken from the earth, there could be no life. If all the four legged creatures were taken from the earth their could be no life, if all the winged creatures were taken from the earth, there could be no life. If all our relatives who crawl and swim and live within the earth were taken away, there could be no life, but if all the human beings were taken away, life on earth would flourish.
[/font][/font]
"They" may have a picture of it, but how do we know it is a picture of the sun - how can you prove that? - there is no sun; the whole of the Earth is enclosed in a hollow globe, on the inside of which is a very powerful light which you call the sun.:D
Now prove me wrong.)(

Cynic

michel said:
"They" may have a picture of it, but how do we know it is a picture of the sun - how can you prove that? - there is no sun; the whole of the Earth is enclosed in a hollow globe, on the inside of which is a very powerful light which you call the sun.:D
Now prove me wrong.)(
I'm sorry but I don't see the point of this statement. We know what the sun is because the sun is a fully observable object from which data can be procured. The data is what determines our knowledge. God is not observable and there is no data that can be accumulated, so it would be illogical to reach either conclusion since there is nothing to formulate certainty. We can reach the conclusion that the sun is a star in the center of our solar system logically with a sufficient amount of information to support that certainty.

meogi

michel said:
how can you prove that? - there is no sun; the whole of the Earth is enclosed in a hollow globe, on the inside of which is a very powerful light which you call the sun.
Now, all you have to do is find evidence to support it, and then bam, you've got an argument. Otherwise it just remains pointless speculation.

hrsweet

A: Do you believe in God?

B: That depends. Are you talking about the god that was created in man's image, as the cynics put it, or are you talking about something less personal?

A: Either way. It is something that can't be proved. You just have to believe.

B: You can't prove or disprove the unknown but you can reach a rational conclusion. Let's start with the concept of God. Are we agreed that God is the source of creation?

A: Yes.

B: Are we agreed that everything in creation has form – can be described – has limits and attributes?

A: Yes.

B: This would include matter, energy, space, time and anything else that science might someday discover. But as source of creation as opposed to the creation itself, God can be none of these. Thus without form, this would clearly rule out gender. Furthermore, speech being a complex of sounds or vibrations would also be a part of creation and therefore confined within the creation. If God had ears to hear and eyes to see or any other attributes, he would be a part of the creation and not the source of creation. In other words, he wouldn't be God.

So this rules out vocal or verbal communication between an individual within the creation and the god source of creation. It even rules out the possibility of thought communication or prayer. Why? Because all thoughts are word combinations that help us interact with the discrete content of the creation. The source of creation would therefore not be reachable with a vehicle that was developed to enhance the functioning within the creation.

A: Could God come to earth and interact with men?

B: Any entity that interacted within the creation would necessarily have to be a part of that creation and, by definition, would be non-God. Or to put it another way, it is an illogical premises to state that God has created himself.

The whole idea of God coming to Earth goes back thousands of years to the time when it was commonly believed that the Stars in the Heavens were Gods. This, BTW, is the foundation of Astrology. God or gods could therefore come to earth from the heavens and deified individuals could likewise go from Earth to the heavens. This was a common belief that went beyond Christianity. Another footnote – angles. These mythical emissaries between heaven and earth are winged creatures so as to enable them to make the commute.

We now know that stars are not gods and outer space is not habitable yet we have clung to these comforting ideas.

And there is good reason to have held to these outmoded notions. The belief in god and afterlife is virtually ubiquitous throughout the world and throughout history. To understand why, we need to understand ourselves.

At some point in our evolution, self awareness developed. The look in the mirror or, its predecessor -- a reflecting pool of water, produced the thought that "I" exist. Greatly enhancing the ability to conceptualize notions such as "I" was the development of speech. It has been observed that babies, which have not yet developed speech, do not interact with mirrors in the way that the rest of us do.

Also in man's developing consciousness came the awareness of the reality of death.

Now we have two conflicting concepts to deal with -- "I" and death. So the rationale developed that if the "I" is real and death certainly is real, then the "I" must survive death.

Any examination of history will show that this rationale, that in some way, the "I" survives death, is virtually universal

As for the universal belief in God or a hierarchy of gods we need only look to our own biological heritage and that is the social structure of not only man, but the higher primates as well. In both cases the social structure is pyramidical with an "alpha" monkey, king or president at the top. Therefore it is logical to extrapolate that social structure to a personified source of creation.

A: So what does this mean for the soul, belief and salvation?

B: The notion of soul is based on the awareness of self, that moment that the concept of "I" jelled somewhere in late babyhood. The idea that "I" exist is universally taken as self-evident and given little thought. It simply overtakes our awareness that every thing within creation comes into and goes out of existence. While we believe that, we don't want to apply that belief to ourselves.

Once the awareness of self dawns, it becomes an awareness that seems impossible to let go. Thus the afterlife belief has become the necessary vehicle to calm the desperation caused by this rationalization. On the other hand, as we all know, everyone wants to go to heaven; it's such a better place than the place that we now have to deal with. But, then again, no one wants to go now. What this all points to is that believing is really not much different that wishing.

What is clear is that the individual like every other entity within the creation, exists only for a discrete period within the field of space and time – both being grosser aspects of the creation itself. Another way of looking at the creation is that it is the manifestation of the underlying transcendent or god source. In other words, there co-exists both an underlying Transcendent Reality and the world of change, the relative world of individuality that awareness has become locked on to.

The story is not over, though. This is because the human being has evolved to the point where it is possible to transcend the limitations of the relative world. This transcendence disconnects the awareness from the world that the senses have lead us to believe is the ultimate reality.

If you still think that world is indeed "real", then reflect on what we have learned from science. We have learned that mater and energy are interchangeable. We have learned that time and space is a "continuum". We have learned that at the quantum level, the reality of our everyday experience is turned on its head. We have learned that, prior to the "Big Bang", time did not exist. From this we can conclude that the model of reality constructed by the brain that is based on information from the senses, while obviously useful, is still illusionary.

When we disconnect consciousness from the everyday world to the world in which there is no object of focus, consciousness becomes independent of any object of focus. It becomes stands alone consciousness so to speak. Here individuality and individual consciousness do not exist. What does exist is Consciousness. This is the true Reality that is beyond time, space, matter and energy. This awareness is the true salvation. Anything less is simply delusionary.

Q: So if transcendence is real and the world of our senses is not, then shouldn't we just transcend and "live in the transcendent"?

A: No. This does not mean that one should strive to "live in the transcendent" as some kind of an escape from life because at the level of the manifestation – that is the level of space, time, matter and energy, discrete entities including yourself certainly do exist – at least for a while. What the experience of the transcendent provides is a sort of a grounding on which activity within the manifest creation is based. It creates an inner stability which enriches activity so that life loses its desperation.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
I haven't read all 12 pages yet, but I would like to say that,

I am as certain the Lord who is described in the Bible exists as I am that I exist.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Cynic said:
I'm sorry but I don't see the point of this statement. We know what the sun is because the sun is a fully observable object from which data can be procured. The data is what determines our knowledge. God is not observable and there is no data that can be accumulated, so it would be illogical to reach either conclusion since there is nothing to formulate certainty. We can reach the conclusion that the sun is a star in the center of our solar system logically with a sufficient amount of information to support that certainty.
people thought the Moon landing was a conspiracy. So I repeat just becaiuse you see the sun whare it is, and you yourself have no proof, are you not taking the sun's existance on a basis of Faith - it's details, and qualities ? For all you know it could feasibly be an tremendously large area of energy, but man made..........:D

Status
Not open for further replies.