• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you certain that God exists?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabio

Cynic said:
This originally came about in another thread, but I posted it in a new one to avoid digression.

Are any of you theists certain that God is there? How can one be certain, when there is an incredible lack of evidense to support such certainty?

To me, being certain that God exists wouldn't be any different than being certain that bigfoot, the lochness monster, and aliens exist, when in fact there is no evidence (except anecdotal evidence) to support such a certainty, it is just as absurd.
Cynic,

You stated that there was a "lack of evidence" to support the existence of God.
What kind of evidence are you looking for?

Sabio

Dayv

I believe what cynic is looking for is real evidence, not these "i can feel it so i known" fallacies. I just don't think anyone in their right mind can consider that real evidence, although it keeps being presented as such.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Dayv said:
I believe what cynic is looking for is real evidence, not these "i can feel it so i known" fallacies. I just don't think anyone in their right mind can consider that real evidence, although it keeps being presented as such.
Well, then Dayv, do you have someone you love ? Just a small question.:)

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
The Catholic Cathecism states:
"God, infinitely perfect and blessed in himself, in a plan of sheer goodness freely created man to make him share in his own blessed life. For this reason, at every time and in every place, God draws close to man. He calls man to seek him, to know him, to love him with all his strength."

For much of my life I would tune God out and change the channel. The reasons are abundant.

Do I have 100% certainty? NO
Does this make me not believe? NO
Why should it?

Faith is a subjective reality manifested into an objective reality in each believer. It's a supernatural quality extended to man. It's not a clear picture, but a cloudy one. But you know that something is there. Enough to keep you interested and enough to keep you growing. The picture gets clearer as time goes on. I can no longer ignore it and want to know more.

Holy Father I seek to know you further. May I respond to all the graces you extend.

The Least In Christ
~Victor

Pah

Uber all member
Dayv said:
There is evidence in I-can-feel-it-so-I-know-it fallacies. It is just not credible evidence for objective truth but it IS real evidence just as ancedotal evidence is real evidence. See Revelation at http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/article.php?a=35

Sabio

Dayv said:
I buy that, but how do you define what is "credible" (evidence), all I'm hearing is "what is not credible". Saying evidence is not credible does not disprove it.

Sabio

Pah

Uber all member
Sabio said:
So Revelation does not provide "empirical" evidence, thus cannot be proven?

Sabio
Revelation supplies no evidence except ancedotal evidence.

Sabio

Empirical evidence is not obtainable for the existance or non-existance of God.

Empirical evidence only deals with the "material world" or what can be determined with the human senses, God is not part of the material world, He is spirit, thus empiricism cannot prove or disprove God.

The argument that "there is no God" because He cannot be "observed" or detected by the human senses (in person or artifacts) is false.

To prove / disprove God one must use methods that apply to the "non-material world". (spriritual world)

Sabio

DreamQuickBook

Sabio said:
The argument that "there is no God" because He cannot be "observed" or detected by the human senses (in person or artifacts) is false.

To prove / disprove God one must use methods that apply to the "non-material world". (spriritual world)

Sabio

That is an unfair requirement. What if there is no spiritual world. Isn't the "spiritual world" simply a Straw Man, to make any objective investigation impossible?

Pah

Uber all member
Sabio said:
Empirical evidence is not obtainable for the existance or non-existance of God.

Empirical evidence only deals with the "material world" or what can be determined with the human senses, God is not part of the material world, He is spirit, thus empiricism cannot prove or disprove God.

Sabio
If you had bothered to to remember the answer of evidence in you would find empirical evidence in http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=205095#post205095
* The study of mythology as coordinated by Joseph Campbell
* The advancements of science to explain how a possible God did something
* The recent advancements of socio evolution showing how God was created which include
o the beginnings of language
o the evolution of morality
o The evolution of law apart from morality
o The study of child development which leads to confirm socio evolution
o The study of society's beginnings
which goes to show that God is a product of man

Sabio

Jocose said:
That is an unfair requirement. What if there is no spiritual world. Isn't the "spiritual world" simply a Straw Man, to make any objective investigation impossible?
No need for this "what if", satanists and Christians both believe in a spiritual world...

Sabio

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Revelation supplies no evidence except ancedotal evidence.

Anecdotal evidence is not accepted because the person observing is not qualified and has not gone thru the normative scientific process of establishing it as true, right?

Just want to make sure I understand.

~Victor

Pah

Uber all member
Victor said:

Anecdotal evidence is not accepted because the person observing is not qualified and has not gone thru the normative scientific process of establishing it as true, right?

Just want to make sure I understand.

~Victor
Anedotal evidence is personal evidence without the credentials of authority. It has nothing to do with science per se.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I feel no compulsion to prove God exists.
I am quite sure God loves me, sinner that I am. Why should I doubt him.

Terry
_________________________________-
Blessed are the pure of heart, they shall behold their God.

Status
Not open for further replies.