• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you bias

Are you bias

• yes

Votes: 15 78.9%
  • no

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • maybe

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Be it politics(a party), science, religion, etc..Are you biased? Do you let being bias cloud your view?

Here's me. How about you?

I don't see myself as biased but I am a little bias when it comes to guns.
I think a person should be able to own a gun or twenty..
However I also think...
-if you don't know how to use a gun, then you shouldn't own one.
-stricter background checks wouldn't hurt
-we don't need automatic weapons
-non-violent felons should be able to own a gun(to hunt for example)
-in a family home with kids they should be locked up
-if needed, a mental evaluation may be appropriate for gun ownership
I may have biases. But I am not aware of them. So I said no so that people can point out if I have biases.

We Never Know

No Slack
We were just discussing this problem in another thread. I'm glad to see you seriously addressing this problem too.

It like this......

IMG_20220519_201248.jpg

vulcanlogician

As far as how we might overcome (or "see through") our own biases...

Critical thinking helps.

It's not perfect by any means. Even critical thinkers can't escape their own biases. But that's oftentimes because they don't stop to think about or question the things they take for granted. Doing that helps. (At least to some degree.)

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
It still seems to me that if someone was really biased they wouldn't know it. If one allows the possibility that he could be mistaken then he might be able to see his own bias.

So that is a good first test: are the absolutely certain they are correct?

Can they give reasons for their views and can they point out the potential logical flaws in their own reasoning? Do they know what assumptions they are working under? And have they tried to search out opinions different from theirs and considered the evidence?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
As far as how we might overcome (or "see through") our own biases...

Critical thinking helps.

It's not perfect by any means. Even critical thinkers can't escape their own biases. But that's oftentimes because they don't stop to think about or question the things they take for granted. Doing that helps. (At least to some degree.)

One thing I have learned as a mathematician is that logical thinking isn't natural. it is *very* hard for almost everyone. Even people that have been trained in it don't do it so well without a LOT of practice.

For the elementary proof courses in math, one of the most important things to teach is that a mistake is most likely to happen just after the words 'obviously' or 'clearly'. Many times, what *seems* clear or obvious turns out to be false. Or, even if true, it is much more subtle than it appears initially.

One of the best exercises, and one that is very difficult for the students, is to find the mistakes in faulty 'proofs' that are for true results.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Both sides but with the vast vast majority being Democrats that have themselves firmly entrenched here.
You can't stop, can you? I find it hard to understand, since hatred seems to rule so much of your dialogue, how you can actually call yourself a "philosophical Buddhist." From both a philosophical, and a Buddhist point of view, that's an immense stretch.

Are you sure you know who you are?

We Never Know

No Slack
I do. Provided the other parry is even revelant enough to register on the radar.

Example... NY three men in a room. Prime example.

“Three Men in a Room” and Albany: Where did the Phrase come from?

Gas right now its higher than I have ever paid for it. Same for many other things. The repubs complain and blame Biden while the dems remain pretty much silent.

However if the current administration were republican, the dems would be complaining and blaming the president while the repubs stayed pretty much silent. That's irony lol

Last edited:

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Gas right now its higher than I have ever paid for it. Same for many other things. The repubs complain and blame Biden while the dems remain pretty much silent.

However if the current administration were republican, the dems would be complaining and blaming the president while the repubs stayed pretty much silent. That's irony lol

Every two years, "We the People" re-elect these clowns in midterm elections. Every four years, "We the People" exchange one clown for another to occupy the Oval Office. Basically, it's the same circus, just with different clowns running the show. Isn't the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over again while expecting different results? What does that say about "We the People"?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Be it politics(a party), science, religion, etc..Are you biased? Do you let being bias cloud your view?

However I also think...

I think everyone has biases. We all have our opinions, personal preferences, and favorites.

There's nothing wrong with that, as long as we're still able to tell the difference between opinion and fact.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Why the slam? You don't know me at all.
But I have read many hundreds of your posts, and I find that while you like to give us your "truth," you rarely bother explaining why you think as you do. In my experience, that is what happens when people recount what they've been taught, or are biased towards, but have not thought about much at all.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Every two years, "We the People" re-elect these clowns in midterm elections. Every four years, "We the People" exchange one clown for another to occupy the Oval Office. Basically, it's the same circus, just with different clowns running the show. Isn't the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over again while expecting different results? What does that say about "We the People"?

More importantly, but usually ignored, several months before we vote for those clowns, we vote in primaries that select which clowns will be options in the general election.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara

However I also think...
Of course I am, for better and worse. As is everyone, even the unbiased liars. :)

Last edited: