• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you an interfaith Christian-Jewish married couple?

Jonathan Bailey

Were you raised by parents who were so interfaith?

Can interfaith family relations still be loving and harmonious?

In my family there were commonly Protestants and Catholics who were intermarried but that was OK.

Having Jews paired with Christians in family relations might be considered radical by some.

When interfaith couples have children there might be a dispute as what religion to bring the children up under.
I think the mother's religion tends to be prevalent.

I, a purist, don't believe in the bastardization of religions like observing "Chrismukkah" and so forth.

Last edited:

danieldemol

Premium Member

In my family there were commonly Protestants and Catholics who were intermarried but that was OK.

Having Jews paired with Christians in family relations might be considered radical by some.

When interfaith couples have children there might be a dispute as what religion to bring the children up under.

I, a purist, don't believe in the bastardization of religions like observing "Chrismukkah" and so forth.
I’m not the offspring of a Jewish-Christian relationship, but as the son of a Baha’i and Christian relationship I feel I can answer the Interfaith aspects of your question.

Yes interfaith relationships can be loving and harmonious.

As far as which Faith the children will be with prior agreement you can agree they will be taught both and let the children decide for themselves when they reach mature age what they want.

Interfaith need not mean the syncretism of two faiths, however to syncretise is human (as emphasised by the syncretism that Judaism and Christianity were founded upon), so you have to be prepared to let go of totalitarian control of your children if you want it to work.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member

I’m a Baha’i married to a Buddhist. We’ve been married 20 years and have two children. I don’t believe two people need to have the same religion as a starting but they need to be fundamentally accepting and at home with the others religion.

Jonathan Bailey

I’m a Baha’i married to a Buddhist. We’ve been married 20 years and have two children. I don’t believe two people need to have the same religion as a starting but they need to be fundamentally accepting and at home with the others religion.

I think Christians should get along better with Jews than Jews or Christians with some more distant faith as with some eastern religion, paganism or Islam. Both Christians and Jews have the OT in common. Jesus Christ Himself was a Jew. I did once know a Catholic man whose mother was into Norse mythology. Hindus and Buddhists together might meet minds closely in a relationship.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
I think Christians should get along better with Jews than Jews or Christians with some more distant faith as with some eastern religion, paganism or Islam. Both Christians and Jews have the OT in common. Jesus Christ Himself was a Jew. I did once know a Catholic man whose mother was into Norse mythology. Hindus and Buddhists together might meet minds closely in a relationship.
The personal maturity of the man and women considering marriage is arguably much more important. But I agree that some religions are more closely aligned to each other.

Jonathan Bailey

The personal maturity of the man and women considering marriage is arguably much more important. But I agree that some religions are more closely aligned to each other.

There even could be the possibility of an interfaith same-sex marriage, an interfaith interracial marriage or, to go way out on a long limb here, a same-sex interfaith interracial marriage. We are living in a world with the darnedest of possibilities.