• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you an Existentialist, Absurdist, or Nihilist?

Straw Dog

So I noticed that some recent activity on this site has to do with discussion and debate over purpose, meaning, value, etc. It inspired me to bust out the existentialist section of my personal library and refresh/ relearn about the different branches of thought. It is certainly a complex subject and there is plenty of room for criticism, but as a human being I prefer to over-simplify things. So, anyway, I found this fun little quiz. Check it out.

Personality Quiz: Are you an Existentialist, Absurdist or Nihilist?

Absurdist

You embrace the disharmony of your search for meaning in a meaningless universe.

Last edited:

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
question 2, 4 and 8 ruined this quiz for me.

Anyhow I got Existentialist

"Through your own consciousness and freedom of choice you create your own values and determine a meaning to your life."

sounds about right

Straw Dog

Got absurdist as well...though I don't believe I actually am one.

Yeah, I'm not sure I am either, but maybe I am relative to existential philosophy. That is, if I'm accepting its basic premises then I would be lead to an absurdist position. I'm not entirely sure about my opinion on existentialism as a school of thought yet. I can definitely relate to certain aspects of it, though.

Straw Dog

question 2, 4 and 8 ruined this quiz for me.

Anyhow I got Existentialist

"Through your own consciousness and freedom of choice you create your own values and determine a meaning to your life."

sounds about right

I did mention oversimplification at some point I believe haha. Yeah, a lot of these kind of quizzes do come up short. Maybe there was a better one out there somewhere in the wasteland of the web.

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
I did mention oversimplification at some point I believe haha. Yeah, a lot of these kind of quizzes do come up short. Maybe there was a better one out there somewhere in the wasteland of the web.

My main problem was the questions (2, 4, 8) seemed to have very little to do with the subject and yet had an impact on the result. It also didn't help that I wasn't familiar with most of the shows/ directors xD

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
My main problem was the questions (2, 4, 8) seemed to have very little to do with the subject and yet had an impact on the result. It also didn't help that I wasn't familiar with most of the shows/ directors xD

Yeah, once I saw those I decided to not waste my time on the quiz. I don't do pop culture.

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
With 9 questions (some of which about pop culture I had to look up to know who the heck they were supposed to be) I got absurdist.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I had the same problem with questions 2, 4, and 8- I didn't recognize some of the directors, never heard of some of the movies, and didn't know a thing about the characters.
Anyway, it said I was an absurdist. I don't think that's accurate, though.
;)

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Existentialist.

Through your own consciousness and freedom of choice you create your own values and determine a meaning to your life.

Actually, I think that's pretty accurate.

Straw Dog

Yeah, in retrospect, it was pretty weak.

Straw Dog

this quiz sucks and is in accurate

Maybe, but fortunately we don't have to take it very seriously. Even if it did flesh out accurate labels in accordance with those philosophies, we would be no closer to capturing the person behind their relative label. It's all in good fun though, but I'll be more discerning with any future quizzes I decide to share.

Levite

Higher and Higher
Existentialist.

Through your own consciousness and freedom of choice you create your own values and determine a meaning to your life.