• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you an atheist because you just have “A lack of belief in gods?”*

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
"Atheism is one thing: A lack of belief in gods."
I am an atheist because of my religious belief. What you have quoted is somebody else's definition of atheism. My atheism goes beyond that and demands more than that.

No God, no soul (therefore, no ghosts), no heaven, no hell, no judgment day, no need to be saved.

Pachomius

Dear Salix, you mention - Religion: Advaita Vedanta.

Please tell readers in less than 50 words what is the whole point at all of this religion.

No. I have a lack of belief in gods, and I do not identify as atheist.
I am theist because I know that God exists in concept as the creator cause of man and the universe and everything with a beginning.

Anyway, I just love to engage in the exchange of thoughts with you on you being atheist while I being theist.

*Atheism is one thing: A lack of belief in gods.

Atheism is not an affirmative belief that there is no god nor does it answer any other question about what a person believes. It is simply a rejection of the assertion that there are gods. Atheism is too often defined incorrectly as a belief system. To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.
What is Atheism? | American Atheists

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
God needs an objective test to know of God. Books about God must demonstrate precise, accurate, and demonstrable truthes that cannot be refuted. It says, and now I can clearly see, to where I can test it myself.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I'm more strictly agnostic with regards a God, but mostly atheist, and I presumably just don't recognise the evidence that so many see to make them theists. One of the reasons for my initial doubting did come from the existence of the multitude of religious beliefs, and where the history of such seems to me to point to human origins alone, unless one was to admit to a God being rather incompetent - which I can't seriously envisage.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Dear Salix, you mention - Religion: Advaita Vedanta.

Please tell readers in less than 50 words what is the whole point at all of this religion.

I'm not clear on the reasoning for imposing a word limit, but I can do it in two: Self-Realization.

ETA: I'll also add that "all of this religion" is actually more of a Hindu philosophy. If you're interested in learning about "all of this religion", you can do so here.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I am theist because I know that God exists in concept as the creator cause of man and the universe and everything with a beginning.

Anyway, I just love to engage in the exchange of thoughts with you on you being atheist while I being theist.

*Atheism is one thing: A lack of belief in gods.

Atheism is not an affirmative belief that there is no god nor does it answer any other question about what a person believes. It is simply a rejection of the assertion that there are gods. Atheism is too often defined incorrectly as a belief system. To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.
What is Atheism? | American Atheists
I go by the etymology of the word.

I'm an atheist because I have no gods.

Your correct that it is not an affirmative term. At least when it's root meaning is involved.

I go by the etymology of the word.

In which case you see it as a belief or principle one adopts, not a lack of one.

The etymology is not a-theism (without theism), but athe[os]-ism ;)

(-ism: forming nouns denoting a system, principle, or ideological movement)

Pachomius

"I am an atheist because of my religious belief." - Aupmanyav

You should label yourself more precisely as an a-religionist, but not as an atheist.

[QUOTE="Aupmanyav, post: 6661962, member: 11823"]I am an atheist because of my religious belief. What you have quoted is somebody else's definition of atheism. My atheism goes beyond that and demands more than that.

No God, no soul (therefore, no ghosts), no heaven, no hell, no judgment day, no need to be saved.[/QUOTE]