• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you an atheist because you just have “A lack of belief in gods?”*

Pachomius

I am theist because I know that God exists in concept as the creator cause of man and the universe and everything with a beginning.

Anyway, I just love to engage in the exchange of thoughts with you on you being atheist while I being theist.

*Atheism is one thing: A lack of belief in gods.

Atheism is not an affirmative belief that there is no god nor does it answer any other question about what a person believes. It is simply a rejection of the assertion that there are gods. Atheism is too often defined incorrectly as a belief system. To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.
What is Atheism? | American Atheists

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I have seen no evidence of many ideas, pink unicorns, the tooth fairy, leprechauns, gods etc. Yes i lack belief in these things.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I have seen no evidence of many ideas...leprechauns...

41qas3.jpg

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
What I meant is that one of the reason I'm an atheist is because I lack belief in deities. There are other reasons, but this is certainly one if not the most important.

Ah...that makes sense. Thanks. I guess I subconsciously added a comma after "things".

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Never heard of 'em.

But i would be very surprised indeed if they were made by magic

Leprechauns are said to grant three wishes. You've obviously never wished for Lucky Charms. ;)

Wait...I forgot... you have to capture one first.

Curious George

Veteran Member
I am theist because I know that God exists in concept as the creator cause of man and the universe and everything with a beginning.

Anyway, I just love to engage in the exchange of thoughts with you on you being atheist while I being theist.

Atheism is not an affirmative belief that there is no god nor does it answer any other question about what a person believes. It is simply a rejection of the assertion that there are gods. Atheism is too often defined incorrectly as a belief system. To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.
No, i am an atheist because i believe no god exists.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Leprechauns are said to grant three wishes. You've obviously never wished for Lucky Charms. ;)

Wait...I forgot... you have to capture one first.

True, through my life i have wished for many things, lucky charms is not one of them

I suppose the need to capture a leprechaun to magic breakfast makes these lucky charms quite rare

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I am an atheist because I do not believe any deity exists. The type of religion, concept, and worldview are irrelevant.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member

I'll go you one better... I'm an anti-theist because not only do I not believe in god(s), I think that religion does more harm than good :)

game on?

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I don't see any evidence of one, plain and simple. Nature is as haphazard as can be in most ways. Prove it ain't! Where's the harmony, balance, and justice in nature?

The hunter, gatherer plan is hopelessly inefficient for universal love. Science and technology, industry, trade and education are the only civil means we have.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, I'm an atheist because I lack belief in God(s). I go a little further, and would say I believe there are no Gods, but the first sentence is enough to make me an atheist.