• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you afraid of your god?

Elaborate?
We create god according to our preferences, likes etc. We all want to be treated with kindness, so we refuse to believe that god could be anything other than lovey-dovey. Reality could be something else, and God may not be in line with our preferences at all.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I'm going to repeat myself, because I am not sure anyone really thought much about what I said earlier:

C S Lewis said it well:

"What do people mean when they say, 'I am not afraid of God because I know He is good?' Have they ever been to a dentist?"

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
We create god according to our preferences, likes etc. We all want to be treated with kindness, so we refuse to believe that god could be anything other than lovey-dovey. Reality could be something else, and God may not be in line with our preferences at all.
That is not my conception of God, though. This is in the panentheistic section, after all. How can I be afraid of something that is part of me? It doesn't make sense to me.

Would I be afraid of a God whom I believed would torture people? To some extent, yes. I don't believe that, though.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Hey - MY BAD - I didn't realize this was in a specific section. If I've offended anyone, I apologize, and if my posts are inappropriate, I would like a host to remove them.

muslim-

I agree with "internationalist"

I certainly do fear God. I think there must be a balance, and that one must be between fear and hope in His mercy. Going to either extremes is not right nor healthy I think. For instance, one shouldn't conveniently not fear God to the point where he'd not even worry about sin or consequences of sin.

But on the other hand should always be hopeful in Gods mercy, no matter how many sin and wrong-doings came from him, but also, not to the point where he/she would sin freely and give himself Gods mercy, which is Gods decision, not mans.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Can't be afraid of something that we don't know of and probably doesn't know of us.

God is complete love...

When I was in Catholic catechism school learning about the basic doctrines of Catholic teaching, we were taught that to 'fear' God is not actual fear, but rather being in awe and inspiration of Him.

leon_the_14

No. I don't feel any fear.
I believe in him through my own free choice not out of fear.
I also understand that if I go against his will that I would draw retribution of some sort.
Not that my actions would affect God, but there is an order of things and if I go against it then I would injure myself.
God doesn't hurt us, we hurt ourselves.

mycorrhiza

Yes. Who isn't filled with fear and awe thinking about the vastness of our magnificent Universe?
While it's not threatening us with eternal damnation, infinity itself is a scary concept.

Mostly, I'm filled with feelings of reverence, though.

underthesun

Terrible with Titles
Do I fear the falling tree when, after being struck by lightning, it falls toward me? Yes, most certainly, and with the divine involved in that whole process, that must mean that I also fear the divine. But this fear is, for me, only fleeting.

Beyond moments where my knee-jerk reaction is fear, I am not afraid of the divine. And even when I later consider those fleeting moments of fear, I am left feeling still at peace with the divine even had my own end come. I believe the divine to be beyond simple conceptions of "good" and "evil", and I do not see reason to sit around fearing anything, let alone the divine, when it is my connection with the divine that brings such light and inner-peace to my life.