• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you afraid of your god?

ManTimeForgot

Temporally Challenged
What sort of reasons did you have? I have never felt persecuted by Reality itself... perhaps by other humans but not by the cosmos.

MTF

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
C S Lewis said it well:

"What do people mean when they say, 'I am not afraid of God because I know He is good?' Have they ever been to a dentist?"

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
When I was panentheist I didn't see a point in being afraid of God. The idea of God unleashing his wrath on me seemed like nothing more than cutting off the nose to spite the face.
This.

I am not afraid of God at all. How can I be afraid of Him when He is also me?

elmarna

No I am not afraid. While god is omnipresent capable of eliminateing anything.
My humble self does not fear him. I see to my service to support him.
If he feels it is not nessesary then so be it.

darkstar

In my faith we are told by the Gods that we are kin. I don't fear any Deity honestly. In my experience they are quite helpful and much like a protective, caring family.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I am not afraid of my God in the least.

Sylvan

Unrepentant goofer duster
Pick the right god or spirit to honor and you have little to fear. I do think some gods are more forgiving than others. Fear of the totality of reality seems like a pretty reasonable reaction to me, although ultimately a waste of effort and an essential matter to transcend.

There are for instance particular Exu spirits considered dangerous to work with.. you must take special baths before and after the working and continually use divination to make sure the various steps are being done correctly and that they are happy with the sacrifices you have given them and then you have to wait until they have done what you have asked them to do and "cool" them down when its over.. or you could get burned yourself.. whew!

I would say there is an obvious parallel to particular churches who feed a negative, judgemental, angry manifesation of "God/Jesus" and ask people to pray for the downfall or restriction of others. One of my witch mentors who used to live in the south and had to go to church for social reasons and saw many of these prayer circles operating the blackest magic on other members of their community in the name of Jesus. These people were constantly having massive problems in their life which she blamed on a side effect of slinging around all that nasty juju without some kind of effective ritual cleansing. And fear (of god, others, crushing economic forces) really drives situations like that. I mean really... what is the real attraction to christianity but the fear that god is going to throw you into eternal hellfire if you make the wrong choice about who the "real" god is?

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
This.

I am not afraid of God at all. How can I be afraid of Him when He is also me?

You do not fear yourself? What you could be (or are) capable of?

I don't care if you personally answer this question, I mostly just wanted to raise this point for consideration. Some people are quite afraid of themselves, as strange as that may sound to some.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member

I don't care if you personally answer this question, I mostly just wanted to raise this point for consideration. Some people are quite afraid of themselves, as strange as that may sound to some.

There have been times when I've been afraid of myself. :yes:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Sometimes I look in the mirror and skeer myself! :sad4:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I don't, no.

I do not consider myself likely to do anything of harm to the innocent because I take a deep breath and count to ten, and then think before I act. If I acted rashly during times, then I would have some fear of what I could become. Thankfully, I don't. :)