• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you afraid of God?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Are you afraid of God?

Should we be afraid of God?

Why would God want us to be afraid of Him?

One reason I am afraid of God is because I believe God is All-Powerful, since it says that in scriptures. Since God is All-Powerful, God could do anything to me that He wanted to do, and the way I think and talk about God sometimes, I have something to be afraid of. I just hope God is as forgiving as some people say He is.

God is also wrathful, so that gives us a reason to be afraid of Him. Just look at all these Bible verses on the Wrath of God. :eek:

What Does the Bible Say About Wrath Of God?

Of course, if you do not believe that God exists there is nothing to be afraid of. You atheists don’t know how good you have it not to have to worry about these things, or maybe you do know. :)

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Are you afraid of God?

One reason I am afraid of God is because I believe God is All-Powerful, since it says that in scriptures. Since God is All-Powerful, God could do anything to me that He wanted to do, and the way I think and talk about God sometimes, I have something to be afraid of. I just hope God is as forgiving as some people say He is.

God is also wrathful, so that gives us a reason to be afraid of Him. Just look at all these Bible verses on the Wrath of God. :eek:

Of course, if you do not believe that God exists there is nothing to be afraid of. You atheists don’t know how good you have it not to have to worry about these things, or maybe you do know. :)

One thing I am not afraid of is being wrong about God.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Are you afraid of God?

No, personally I am not afraid of a God. But I have deep respect for any God that exist.
I am not afraid because I believe it is up to my self to be saved by cultivating the teaching (in my case Falun Gong) and the "punishment" only happens when I my self fails to do what is asked of me :)

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Nope. I love God and know He loves me. :)
I sure wish I felt that way...

I try to believe that God loves me, but I cannot make myself believe that.
But you are obviously a good person and a faithful believer so I am sure God loves you... :)
Another thing you have going for you I do not have is that you love God.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Wrong in what way?
Wrong in not having known God existed and later finding out?

I don't make any claims about God so there is nothing for me to be wrong about.

If I don't know about God, I don't know about God. If I find out later I find out later. If this is accurate then there is nothing to be wrong about.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
No, personally I am not afraid of a God. But I have deep respect for any God that exist.
I am afraid and one reason is because I sometimes lack respect for God and God probably does not like that. :(
I am not afraid because I believe it is up to my self to be saved by cultivating the teaching (in my case Falun Gong) and the "punishment" only happens when I my self fails to do what is asked of me :)
I am not afraid of not being saved because like you I believe that is my responsibility, but I am afraid God might punish me for the things I think and feel, not for what I do.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara

But you are obviously a good person and a faithful believer so I am sure God loves you... :)
If you believe in God but do not believe God loves you that can only be troublesome. Do you believe in an unloving God? Or do you think God chooses who to love and who not to, and you unfortunately are in the latter group?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member

Well, I'm a Christian and the Christian concept of God is one of a being of great love.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I don't make any claims about God so there is nothing for me to be wrong about.
That is a good position to be in, I envy you
I do not make any claims, but I do have beliefs. I do not think I am wrong about them, and that is what worries me. :oops:
If I don't know about God, I don't know about God. If I find out later I find out later. If this is accurate then there is nothing to be wrong about.
You cannot be wrong about what you don't know.
I cannot really say if it matters if we find out now or later.
It's probably better to know before we die, but only if we are right.
It is a real gamble but you can only lose if someone else was right and you were wrong. ;)

Last edited:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I am afraid and one reason is because I sometimes lack respect for God and God probably does not like that. :(

I am not afraid of not being saved because like you I believe that is my responsibility, but I am afraid God might punish me for the things I think and feel, not for what I do.
In a way you speak of karma :) because in my understanding of karma it also affect our thoughts, called thought karma. When you think something "wrong" according to the teaching you follow, you feel suffering in the way, you know your thoughts are not correct so you worry what God think of you.
But. God also know what is in your mind and heart :) God know you trying to be good.

Temptation of doing,thinking or feeling something "wrong" causes you to feel your suffering. So when you can get your thoughts to be righteous then you no longer feel the suffering from your own struggle :)

It is hard work, but you are mindful about it, that in my understanding is the first step to realize what you need to "fix" :)

Hope this helped a little

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
As it''s true that many people who have professed great love for their partners ended up killing them when they felt rejected or otherwise slighted by them, many gods have promised the impious, the criminals and the blasphemer a terrible punishment for those slights.
I see what you mean but I don't experience God that way.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
If you believe in God but do not believe God loves you that can only be troublesome. Do you believe in an unloving God? Or do you think God chooses who to love and who not to, and you unfortunately are in the latter group?
I sorta kinda believe that God loves me but I also believe that God's love cannot reach me because I do not love God, so that is why I do not feel that God loves me. It is a weird position to be in and it is based upon this:

5: O SON OF BEING! Love Me, that I may love thee. If thou lovest Me not, My love can in no wise reach thee. Know this, O servant. The Hidden Words of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 4

I also think it is wrong if God expects us to love Him before His love can reach us, because all of us cannot love God first. :(
If God is loving and omnipotent, God could make us know He loves us even though we don't love Him, and if God only loves us if we love Him, I consider that rather petty.

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Well, I'm a Christian and the Christian concept of God is one of a being of great love.
Yes, I know that about Christians and that is one thing I like about Christianity. Most Baha'is also believe that God is All-Loving, but that somehow escaped me. I keep trying to believe that though.

God is Loving in the New Testament, but how do Christians reconcile a Loving God with the Old Testament?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Obviously as an atheist I don't fear gods since I don't have any, but it makes sense to me to fear and love your deity if you have one.
True, but how do I fear God and love God at the same time?
I would not fear and love my husband. I mean I would not fear him if I loved him.