• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are You Afraid of Atheism Or Atheists?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Not really a debate, but the other thread in this forum needs this companion.
Do I frighten anyone?
Or at least annoy?

You don't frighten me, in fact i find you quite likeable for a cantankerous mock Scot

Nor do you annoy me, amusement is quite the opposite.

Now my turn

Do a frighten anyone.I know some have been concerned by my avatar but how about me...

Scary or not?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Do I frighten anyone?
Or at least annoy?
Its not you, specifically. My belief in the moral compass of humanity is weak. That is complimented by my knowledge of its recklessness and power. Can you blame me for being a little bit edgy and perhaps a little controlling? I think sprinkled through the species there are people who have more of this kind of fear than others. They turn into totalitarians and such. Some are atheists. Some are not. Most have the good will and love to not try to force their way upon the world, but this varies. We all want to make difference. That's supposed to be a good thing, though it can become a terrible evil.

Humanity is scary in the way that killer bees are or volcanoes, and when you label yourself 'Athiest' you're identifying with that pure humanity and its chaotic possibilities. The extreme possibilities of humanity are things people think about at different stages of our lives. Have you ever heard the phrase "Good fences make good neighbors?" Its true. Where is the fence when a person says "I'm just an athiest. 100% whatever happens, happens." That fence poofs. Its just us and our bare blood.

I know several people who have told me in their own words that they converted for this reason, and all of them became absolute believers in the Christian faith -- protestants in fact. I had nothing to do with it. They were concerned about this world, and they converted. No gun was used. Humanity scared them -- the same humanity which you strap onto your back when you label yourself an atheist. The extreme possibilities of humanity scare some people into turning to religion -- any religion. I'm 30% convinced its where a lot of religion comes from though not all. I think it provides a steady trickle of new blood into religions. Not you though.

Have you ever heard of China? USSR? Ring any bells? What was all that stuff we heard about the godless communists starting bloody revolutions and stuff. I know I heard something about it on the 700 club at least one time. Everything bad humanity does you're strapping it to your back and saying "I own this."

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
QUOTE:

Too many Christian authors have tried to be kind and amiable in an effort to demonstrate that believers don’t have to sink into the mud in order to defend the faith. That tact is very charitable, but unfortunately, it just doesn’t work with bullies.

Today's atheists are bullies -- and they are doing their best to intimidate the rest of us into silence
I stopped reading that tawdry article after the first two paragraphs:

There’s no polite way to say it. Atheists today are the most arrogant, ignorant and dangerous people on earth.

We’ve all seen how these pompous prigs get offended by the slightest bit of religious imagery in public and mortified if even a whisper of “Merry Christmas” escapes the lips of some well-meaning but naïve department store clerk during the “holiday season.”
Any writer who begins by taking one group -- by name -- and then labelling them ALL in any way doesn't deserve to be read.

I am an atheist, and if you look through these forums, you will find statements by me saying that I welcome Christmas, Hannukah, Diwali and other displays in the public squares of my city. I mostly find them to be the source of much good will and bonhommie, always welcome on this grumpy little planet.

I also couldn't help but notice that DeStefano's tripe book couldn't even muster up a single mainstream review. Nobody, outside the religious right like Fox, can be bothered.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Its not you, specifically. My belief in the moral compass of humanity is weak. That is complimented by my knowledge of its recklessness and power. Can you blame me for being a little bit edgy and perhaps a little controlling? I think sprinkled through the species there are people who have more of this kind of fear than others. They turn into totalitarians and such. Some are atheists. Some are not. Most have the good will and love to not try to force their way upon the world, but this varies. We all want to make difference. That's supposed to be a good thing, though it can become a terrible evil.

Humanity is scary in the way that killer bees are or volcanoes, and when you label yourself 'Athiest' you're identifying with that pure humanity and its chaotic possibilities. The extreme possibilities of humanity are things people think about at different stages of our lives. Have you ever heard the phrase "Good fences make good neighbors?" Its true. Where is the fence when a person says "I'm just an athiest. 100% whatever happens, happens." That fence poofs. Its just us and our bare blood.

I know several people who have told me in their own words that they converted for this reason, and all of them became absolute believers in the Christian faith -- protestants in fact. I had nothing to do with it. They were concerned about this world, and they converted. No gun was used. Humanity scared them -- the same humanity which you strap onto your back when you label yourself an atheist. The extreme possibilities of humanity scare some people into turning to religion -- any religion. I'm 30% convinced its where a lot of religion comes from though not all. I think it provides a steady trickle of new blood into religions. Not you though.

Have you ever heard of China? USSR? Ring any bells? What was all that stuff we heard about the godless communists starting bloody revolutions and stuff. I know I heard something about it on the 700 club at least one time. Everything bad humanity does you're strapping it to your back and saying "I own this."
I've heard tell that Buddhists claim unrealistic expectations cause woe.
I expect humanity to be what it's always been.
So disappointment seldom darkens me door.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I've heard tell that Buddhists claim unrealistic expectations cause woe.
I expect humanity to be what it's always been.
So disappointment seldom darkens me door.
I'm just answering your question in the affirmative. Anyone not in group A is likely to have a little bit of anxiety about people in group B, unless of course they patronize group B.

Buddhists probably don't exist.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
QUOTE:

Too many Christian authors have tried to be kind and amiable in an effort to demonstrate that believers don’t have to sink into the mud in order to defend the faith. That tact is very charitable, but unfortunately, it just doesn’t work with bullies.

Today's atheists are bullies -- and they are doing their best to intimidate the rest of us into silence
I do find it most entertaining when theists whine and complain about atheists who lower themselves to the bar set so low by theists.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Do I frighten anyone?
Or at least annoy?

you personally should be answered after several pages of this thread and a dozen or so of your comments to see if the answer is yes or no.

Erebus

I'm afraid of atheists but only in certain situations.

Like when they point a gun at me.

Or when they throw spiders at me.

Or when they give guns to spiders and then throw them at me.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Bias statement. Empty. Like a racist rant of a bigot or vice versa.
What is bias about it?

Or is it simply you dislike the fact that theists do so much whining and complaining when atheists lower themselves all the way down to the bar set by theists?

Or perhaps you are merely in denial as to who set that bar?

Are you perhaps in denial as to where the bar is set?

Hells bells, even the article whining about bullying is bullying.

But I suspect you are not yet ready to have that conversation...

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Bias statement. Empty. Like a racist rant of a bigot or vice versa.
Did you read what was written in the link he was replying to? I posted some of it post 25 -- I do not think the statement was nearly as biased as to what was being presented for our acceptance.