• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you afraid of a higher power?

InChrist

Free4ever
I think there are differences between reverence, fear, and guilt. But fear can often serve an important purpose by causing one to flee a dangerous situation to safety. So for those who are ignoring or in rebellion to the Living God it may be that fear is the best thing that can occur to bring about a change of direction from heading toward danger into the safety found in the Creator alone. For those who are already safe in the care of their Creator there is no fear, only peace in God's perfect love...There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love. 1 John 4:18

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
For those of you who believe in a higher power (or those who don't and want to weigh in, of course!). Are you ever afraid of this entity (or non-entity)? Do you feel like you just can't be "good" enough? I find that a lot of times I feel like I can't possibly live up to the moral standards I've set for myself and believe that I should follow, and that I will be punished for being so weak. I believe in a merciful supreme being, but I can't help but think I don't deserve the mercy :confused:

A lot of it was being brought up in a "hellfire and brimstone" religious community, and later dabbling in Catholicism (trust me, you don't have to be born Catholic to experience "Catholic guilt"!).

I don't understand this idea of teaching people to fear their Gods.

Wouldn't you think it would be better to teach them to want to do their best, as an expression of love, and thanks, rather then fear of torture?

Bird123

IT HAS NEVER EVER BEEN ABOUT PUNISHMENT!
Deep down, we all already know God. When you return to God, there will be no fear. You must remember God is above the petty things mankind hold so dear such as ruling, controlling, manipulating, hating,condemning and judging.

You must realize the intelligence of God. There are far better ways than frying your kids. Think about it and quit worrying. Be who you must. It's a part of the plan.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
IT HAS NEVER EVER BEEN ABOUT PUNISHMENT!
Deep down, we all already know God. When you return to God, there will be no fear. You must remember God is above the petty things mankind hold so dear such as ruling, controlling, manipulating, hating,condemning and judging.

You must realize the intelligence of God. There are far better ways than frying your kids. Think about it and quit worrying. Be who you must. It's a part of the plan.

Baloney it hasn't! I was a Christian. Fear of torture in Hell is used by the churches to control their members, and to keep them from leaving the church! Fear of ETERNAL TORTURE!

Bird123

Everybody wants to rule the world. Religion is mankind's version of God. In an attempt to control, mankind has always resorted to the use of fear and intimidation. This is not God.

Simple reason points to the Truth. Look around you. All the Physics adds up so well. Shouldn't everything else? It DOES!!! Everything about the Real God will add up. If it doesn't, mankind generally has a hand in it or you lack the knowledge that brings understanding the truth..

So ask yourself. Does it really add up that a Being capable of creating universes really has to resort to frying the kids for eternity?? Couldn't One so smart FIX the problems instead?? That is your clue to the TRUE Nature of God and the universe.

All the secrets of the universe Stare us in the face. As it has been since the beginning of time, it is up to each of us to Discover. God will never intimidate your choices nor condemn you for them. On the other hand, choose wisely for God will teach each of us what our choices really mean. Some choose hard lessons for themselves.

God loves all His children Unconditionally. There will never be hate from God. Free your mind of all those petty things mankind holds dear. Think about what I have said. The Real Truth is within your grasp.

SkylarHunter

I don't believe in hell or in any kind of eternal punishment, but I do feel that I'm not good enough to live up to some standards described in the Bible. I try hard to do the right thing but many times I do the exact opposite. Does that make me feel weak and unworthy? Yes. I wish I was better.

Levite

Higher and Higher
For those of you who believe in a higher power (or those who don't and want to weigh in, of course!). Are you ever afraid of this entity (or non-entity)? Do you feel like you just can't be "good" enough? I find that a lot of times I feel like I can't possibly live up to the moral standards I've set for myself and believe that I should follow, and that I will be punished for being so weak. I believe in a merciful supreme being, but I can't help but think I don't deserve the mercy :confused:

A lot of it was being brought up in a "hellfire and brimstone" religious community, and later dabbling in Catholicism (trust me, you don't have to be born Catholic to experience "Catholic guilt"!).
Nope, I never fear God. This is because I believe God is merciful, compassionate, and full of lovingkindness. I don't believe He expects us to be perfect, just to do our best. And I don't believe that God punishes: not in this life, and not in the after.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Another 4 months and it would have been 10 whole years. Half the people here were just children.
Meanwhile, I looked at the OP date and my reaction was "Wow, a thread that was here before even I started!" That is a thread necro. This thing is a zombie thread if I ever saw one.

crocusj

If I did, it would be evidence that I do not believe it to be the Creator God. The Creator God is supposed not to be a bully, after all.
Why can a creator not be a bully? I think it is perfectly natural to fear that which is superior, I love my dog but I control my dog but both my dog and I exist.

crocusj

Yes, of course, I am afraid. :eek:

I don't want to ever be electrocuted.
I work in the power industry and have been electrocuted several times. We live in times where control of risk is more important than removal of risk and therefore people are expected to work with "live" electricity more and more to accommodate the consumer. What the consumer requires is what must be provided whatever the compromise. I see mainstream religion in much the same way. As a society progresses (if you are lucky) so the mainstream religion changes on order to survive, theology is obviously compromised along the way. This compromise is continual and ever more removed from that which came before it and is easily recognisable as a substitute.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Why can a creator not be a bully? I think it is perfectly natural to fear that which is superior, I love my dog but I control my dog but both my dog and I exist.

That is conceivable, but it would also mean that the creator is unworthy of my respect or even attention, don't you think?

crocusj

That is conceivable, but it would also mean that the creator is unworthy of my respect or even attention, don't you think?
Can my dog ignore me? You are instilling the creator with the believers morals. This does not negate the creator.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
In that case, there is probably no creator God. After all, it turns out that he can be ignored quite easily.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Probably. But ignoring a god does not negate a god, it merely renders the god pointless to us. ......oooops.

It seems to me that it does in fact negate that god. There is certainly nothing to evidence otherwise.