• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you a vegetarian or vegan? (poll)

Do you still eat animal products?

• I will eat anything from animals, also meat (fish), eggs and dairy

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • I will sometimes eat meat or fish, do eat eggs and dairy (flexitarian)

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Only fish, with or without dairy (pescotarian)

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Only dairy and eggs (lacto-ovo-vegetarian)

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Only eggs (ovo-vegetarian)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only dairy (lacto-vegetarian)

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Occasionally some added dairy or eggs (flexable total vegetarian)

• Only plant foods (totally vegetarian)

• I will not use anything that involves using animals (vegan)

• Total voters

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma
Eating less meat, fish and dairy is becoming increasingly popular for health reasons, to stop cruelty to animals or to stop climate change and pollution.

I'm curious to see what choices people on the forum are making regarding this aspect of their diet.

I hope the poll covers most of the possibilities, otherwise choose the one closest to how you think you mostly eat.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I didn't fit any of the choices, but I picked the second one. The first doesn't fit me because I won't eat most of the animal, just the meat. I don't eat foods like liver and tripe.

Although I don't deliberately deny myself meat, I have many meals with little or no meat, such as a salad or a bowl of pasta. I don't like beef much, and I'm tired of chicken. I do eat a lot of seafood, however. I don't think choice 2 ("I will sometimes eat meat or fish, do eat eggs and dairy (flexitarian)") describes that, nor does any other, but it is closest.

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
My diet is practical for health, high in low glycemic whole grains, vegetables, beans and some fruit. I also eat eggs, fish infrequently, and dairy, but in less amounts than most people. Dairy is yogurt.

Actually, this comes close in modern terms to the paleolithic diet, but the Neolithic diet included meat, but not as much as most people think today.

My exercise routine is intense three to four times a week for 2.5 hours at Planet Fitness with light exercise three days a week.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Eating less meat, fish and dairy is becoming increasingly popular for health reasons, to stop cruelty to animals or to stop climate change and pollution.

I'm curious to see what choices people on the forum are making regarding this aspect of their diet.

I hope the poll covers most of the possibilities, otherwise choose the one closest to how you think you mostly eat.
I'll probably fall in the category of a vulture when it comes to meat. I'll eat what's already dead.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I was reading a scientific article on the future of food, and they figure it will get totally personalised, based on a few simple genetic tests. I can imagine walking down a grocery store, and it's all color coded, or number coded, and you get what suits you, physically.

The ancient ayurvedic system tried that, on trial and error, and observation.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Never like eating animals. I was raised 7th Day Adventist till I was about 5 and my mother married a non-vegetarian. Followed a Hindu Guru for a while so it was for religious purposes. Then later on I thought a vegetarian diet would be healthier. Unfortunately it didn't matter much as genetics trumps diet. I have a number of health problems usually associated with eating meat. Doctor tells me it's because of my genetics.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I was reading a scientific article on the future of food, and they figure it will get totally personalised, based on a few simple genetic tests. I can imagine walking down a grocery store, and it's all color coded, or number coded, and you get what suits you, physically.

Sounds like something from the X-Files, Future speculation such as this is not science.

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Never like eating animals. I was raised 7th Day Adventist till I was about 5 and my mother married a non-vegetarian. Followed a Hindu Guru for a while so it was for religious purposes. Then later on I thought a vegetarian diet would be healthier. Unfortunately it didn't matter much as genetics trumps diet. I have a number of health problems usually associated with eating meat. Doctor tells me it's because of my genetics.

Example: High cholesterol is more strongly associated with genetics than eating meat.

GoodbyeDave

Human beings are natural omnivores, as any biologist will tell you. In fact, although I chose the first option, I only eat meat about three times a week and fish twice, but dairy products daily. That, however, is a matter of taste, not dogma or pseudo-science. And all my meat is from free-range animals, often organically-reared.

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma
I started eating a lacto-vegetarian diet when I learnt doing tantra-yoga at age twenty.
About 15 years ago my diet shifted to more plant-based and since that time my health which was never that great improved a lot.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Sounds like something from the X-Files, Future speculation such as this is not science.
Part way there already. A few years back there was no such thing as Celiac's. Now there's a test. So although it was surely speculative, the rate of change in medicine is remarkable. It's long been known that our reactions to food vary widely. They still use umbrella terms like IBS, autism, allergies, that show how little they know but it is getting slowly more specific.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Part way there already. A few years back there was no such thing as Celiac's. Now there's a test. So although it was surely speculative, the rate of change in medicine is remarkable. It's long been known that our reactions to food vary widely. They still use umbrella terms like IBS, autism, allergies, that show how little they know but it is getting slowly more specific.

The ability to diagnose diseases by modern science, does not mean that 'no such thing existedmbefore,' they likely have always existed. Yes, modern developments help people plan their diets with knowledge of the cause and effects of their diseases, but that does not translate to what you proposed..

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
The ability to diagnose diseases by modern science, does not mean that 'no such thing existedmbefore,' they likely have always existed. Yes, modern developments help people plan their diets with knowledge of the cause and effects of their diseases, but that does not translate to what you proposed..
I never proposed anything at all. I said I read an article that suggested ... I never even said I agreed with it.
Sheesh.

Jumi

I didn't fit any of the choices, but I picked the second one. The first doesn't fit me because I won't eat most of the animal, just the mean. I don't eat foods like liver and tripe.

Although I don't deliberately deny myself meat, I have many meals with little or no meat, such as a salad or a bowl of pasta. I don't like beef much, and I'm tired of chicken. I do eat a lot of seafood, however. I don't think choice 2 ("I will sometimes eat meat or fish, do eat eggs and dairy (flexitarian)") describes that, nor does any other.
I think you and me would enjoy the same type of meal. :) I'm mostly a pescetarian, but picked 2.