• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you a Noachide?

Are you a Noachide?

• Total voters

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Right, so where do Noachides post here, just in this general forum?
There isn't a Noahide section, so you generally use debate areas. Currently RF has strict rules about who may post opinions where. (see rule 10) What I suggest is that you post questions (but not opinions) in the various DIR forums (like if you want to ask Hindus about Hindu things) and when you want the flexibility to argue only use Same Faith Debate, Religious Debate and Scriptural Debate sections. To debate what it means to be Noahide with other Noahides start your threads in Same Faith Debates. If you just want to post opinions with no crosstalk, start a thread in the Journal area.

Shem Ben Noah

INACTIVE
There isn't a Noahide section, so you generally use debate areas. Currently RF has strict rules about who may post opinions where. (see rule 10) What I suggest is that you post questions (but not opinions) in the various DIR forums (like if you want to ask Hindus about Hindu things) and when you want the flexibility to argue only use Same Faith Debate, Religious Debate and Scriptural Debate sections. To debate what it means to be Noahide with other Noahides start your threads in Same Faith Debates. If you just want to post opinions with no crosstalk, start a thread in the Journal area.

Well, I may be wrong, but it seems to me the OP's point of this poll is to show that ALL Abrahamic faiths are also Noachide faiths as well.

So posting in this DIR's relevant sub-DIRs is NOT like posting over in the Hindu DIR.

Because we might have some things in common here. So long as the topic is concerning common Noachide Laws.

I don't see why the 'Mother-May-I' mindset. I want adult, mature discussion. I don't see any other Noachides here, so this lot will have to do, eh?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, I may be wrong, but it seems to me the OP's point of this poll is to show that ALL Abrahamic faiths are also Noachide faiths as well.

So posting in this DIR's relevant sub-DIRs is NOT like posting over in the Hindu DIR.

Because we might have some things in common here. So long as the topic is concerning common Noachide Laws.

I don't see why the 'Mother-May-I' mindset. I want adult, mature discussion. I don't see any other Noachides here, so this lot will have to do, eh?
Come to think of it, are Noachides Abrahamic? No they're just Noahic? This topic is confusing to some members, because 'Everybody' can call themselves a Noachide. Part of the forums strategic is to shelter the different groups. Part of the difficulty lies in explaining that there are different groups at all.

If we don't keep things under tight controls I fear there will be panic in the streets and farting in the halls. :eek:

Shem Ben Noah

INACTIVE
Noachides worship the Abrahamic god, and use the same Torah/Bible (well, the first part of it anyway) as other Abrahamic faiths..

So in practice, not just *Everybody* can call themselves a Noachide/Abrahamic. Even though in theory they are as everyone is supposedly descended from Noah.

Tumah

Veteran Member
take that up with Dr. Michael Schulman, a Torah scholar who runs www.asknoah.org. He is my teacher.
I reread what you wrote and I see that you were not giving a reason why they aren't binding altogether, but explaining that repeating them at Mt. Sinai is why they are binding today. I misunderstood what you were saying the first time I read it. I actually mention that in my post on Jewish Noahidism in the Judaism DIR.

Shem Ben Noah

INACTIVE
...I chose 'Yes, I'm a Ben/Bat Noach exclusively'. Now I do carry over elements of past faiths not covered, such as prayer.

Right, so where do Noachides post here, just in this general forum?

Changed my vote. Won't be able to post here anymore, not especially wanting to right now anyways.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
So I just stumbled upon this thread and the eating blood discussion. I eat black pudding all the time as it's one of my favourite foods, and have never been under the impression that it's disallowed. Here is the verse from Bereshis as translated by Jewish folks:

But, flesh with its soul, its blood, you shall not eat. (B. 9:4)

This sounds to me pretty much how the Law is generally enumerated, i.e., don't eat the flesh of a living animal, 'with its soul'. What I understand from this is not to eat any part of a still-living animal, whether flesh or blood, eye or tongue, it's not to be eaten.

Here is the whole passage from Vayikra,

Therefore, I said to the children of Israel: None of you shall eat blood, and the stranger who sojourns among you shall not eat blood. And any man of the children of Israel or of the strangers who sojourn among them, who traps a quarry of a wild animal or bird that may be eaten, and sheds its blood, he shall cover it with dust. For the soul of all flesh its blood is in its soul, and I said to the children of Israel: You shall not eat the blood of any flesh, for the soul of any flesh is its blood all who eat it shall be cut off. (V. 17:12-14)

This sounds to me as though it is saying that Jewish folks cannot eat blood at any time, and the non-Jew who lives among them cannot, but doesn't seem to say anything about anyone non-Jewish in general regarding this prohibition.

I hope I'm not misunderstanding this because that's going to lead to transgression since, as I said, black pudding is a favourite of mine.

Last edited:

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
@Rival -

I owe you a response on another matter, but at the moment I only have one arm that is functional and it is not the right one - literally or figuratively. I am single finger pecking this on an ipad and it is not fun!

As to your question here, you as a Bat Noach, should be fine with your black pudding. I had to look up what exactly it is before I answered.

Of course, if you want to be doubly sure, I'm sure Tumah or rosends will be by.

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
Always battling the Sith Lords...
The rabbi is currently dealing with the aftermath of breaking his humerus in 3 pieces. Still not quite sure how I managed to slip and fall in a parking lot.

When I tell folks what happened I keep being told I have to come up with a better story. I'm appropriating your suggestion.

May the force be with you on Purim and every day.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I can also see by this thread that the term 'Noachide' has apparently been rendered completely meaningless and on par with 'Abrahamic'. This is not a welcome development.

Flankerl

I can also see by this thread that the term 'Noachide' has apparently been rendered completely meaningless and on par with 'Abrahamic'. This is not a welcome development.

That basically means you are an honorary Jew.
They misrepresent our Religion all the time and laugh while doing it.