• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you a member of the Wizardry religion?

Doodlebug02

Hey everyone. I used to be part of a rather secret religion/cult known as Wizardry. Was just wondering if anyone else on here is or was a part of it? :confused:

BFD_Zayl

Wizardry is a practice, yes, and generaly consists of male magick users with no religious ties. i looked into it for a bit...like a week, but i settled with necromancy

Mike182

Flaming Queer
i've not come across any groups that specifically call them selves a wizadry group - but it sounds very male dominated, not really to my taste.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Godlike said:
Dungeons & Dragons, maybe? :rolleyes: It can't possibly be legitimately in the Pagan magickal tradition...

Probably not, though I wouldn't be surprised if this had something to do with Oberon Zell Ravenheart. He's a nutball, that one. I wouldn't consider anything that come out of his mouth to be legitimate in Paganism.

eudaimonia

Fellowship of Reason
Holly said:
Hey everyone. I used to be part of a rather secret religion/cult known as Wizardry. Was just wondering if anyone else on here is or was a part of it? :confused:

I played Wizardry on my Apple 2+ computer back in the 80s. But something tells me this is not what you mean.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
Probably not, though I wouldn't be surprised if this had something to do with Oberon Zell Ravenheart. He's a nutball, that one. I wouldn't consider anything that come out of his mouth to be legitimate in Paganism.

Kind of late jumping in here but, I would have to agree with you on Oberon. When I was still know to all this I bought one of he's books, though interesting in it's own way, I don't don't know, it fun to take some of the ideas and use them for yourself.

The Wizard

Hey everyone. What are the typical beliefs of those who practice Wizardry?

If there is a practice that has been used for a long period of time then there is usually some truth to be discovered. There are plenty of rituals in older magic that seem to have a basis in subtle energy flows or chi energy.

The wizard's staff, for instance, could have been a type of energy flow device or magnetic tool. Shaman's and Indians are still paid high prices to this day for going on someone's land and identifying underground water wells, with nothing but a forked willow stick. The water I drink was in fact found by a "water witch."

Many cultures, chinese for instance, had masters that always used staffs. Apperantly it has a connection or working with invisable forces. The egyptians used copper and zinc rods to work with the Earth's magnetic forces for divine purposes, etc.

So, there is alot of stuff still out there, but getting past all of the gurus and salesman pitching there own versions is another story.

Jacksnyte

Reverend

wiz·ard·ry

noun \ˈwi-zə(r)-drē\
plural wiz·ard·ries
Definition of WIZARDRY

: the art or practices of a wizard : sorcery

a : a seemingly magical transforming power or influence <electronic wizardry> b : great skill or cleverness in an activity <showed real wizardry in legal maneuvering>

} See wizardry defined for English-language learners »

..Examples of WIZARDRY

1. The Lord of the Rings is a story of monsters, heroes, and wizardry.
  2. the wizardry of modern technology
First Known Use of WIZARDRY

Related to WIZARDRY

Synonyms: bewitchery, bewitchment, conjuring, devilry (or deviltry), diablerie, enchantment, ensorcellment, mojo, necromancy, sorcery, thaumaturgy, voodooism, witchcraft, witchery, magic

I would say that wizardry is a practice like witchcraft, but that it is not a religion, again, like witchcraft.

Parzival

In his book, 'Grimoire for the Apprentice Wizard', Oberon Zell-Ravenhart gives the following definition of "wizard":

WIZARD&#8212;FROM ANGLO-SAXON WYSARD (m.), &#8220;wise one.&#8221; A usually solitary practitioner of magick and repository of arcane knowledge. A lore-master. 1. a sage. 2. a magician; conjurer; sorcerer. 3. a person ex- ceptionally gifted or clever at a specified activity (as in &#8220;computer wizard&#8221;). Usually&#8212;but not necessarily&#8212;a specifically masculine term. Wizards have also been referred to as &#8220;Natural Philosophers.&#8221;

I don't always agree with Zell, but I'm not sure I'd be willing to call him a 'nutball' either. He had played a large role in the neopagan movement, from putting together the first pagan newsletter 'Green Egg', to writing the aforementioned book, which I have given as gifts to more than one magickally minded kid from a pagan family background.

That being said, I don't think any of this has anything to do with the so-called 'wizardry religion' the original poster speaks of.

Last edited: