• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are You a God

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

John 10:34-John 10:35 KJV Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods? If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Are you a god?

jesus said yes.
ray was told to say yes.
alan said yes.
the mahavakyas say yes

if the ALL is omnipresent, yes.

I guess to me the answer would be no as I don't find the term God to be useful.

giphy.gif

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
In western terms Brahman = the ultimate reality?

What do you know of the ultimate reality?
The masters (Self-Realized) that have experienced Brahman Consciousness describe Brahman as pure undifferentiated Consciousness best described as pure sat-cit-ananda (being-awareness-bliss).

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Not by any typical definition of God in the English language. If you redefine God to mean something completely redundant like, "everything," then sure, but it's a useless label.

to be or not to be is the question. maybe the understanding was changed and is changing

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Personally [and sort of back on topic], I avoid using a universal/omnimax deity concept, because it is quite beyond my ability to apprehend or comprehend. Even 'lesser' deity concepts are really not very useful to me.

But, I can also see how some things may be bigger, smarter, more powerful, or whatever, and therefore might be afforded a designation as a deity, a god.

I can see also how some things may be smaller, less smart, less powerful, or whatever, and therefore might think to call me a god. The birds who feed at our feeders, for example, might view me as wielding the power of magic, as mysteriously the feeders are refilled and put out every day...and sometimes they don't get put out, for instance when we're traveling.

A few years ago, shortly after our outdoor cat came to live with us, the raccoons (or maybe the coyotes) carried off the magic food dish, i would guess in the hopes that if they took it someplace, then it would keep getting refilled because, well, its magic...they may have then realized that it wasn't the food dish that was magic, it was those funny bipeds who live inside that really weird square hollow tree where the food dish used to be...

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
The masters (Self-Realized) that have experienced Brahman Consciousness describe Brahman as pure undifferentiated Consciousness best described as pure sat-cit-ananda (being-awareness-bliss).

So have I.
Probably no reason to believe me but you have a reason to believe them? Followed a Guru from India for many years and sat-cit-ananda was all they talked about. Well not all but he/they talked about it a lot.

You experience something, joy, awareness, a state of pure existence. Call it satchitananda, it was described as "truth is the consciousness of bliss". Are you conscious of bliss?

Being conscious of bliss, does this make you a God?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
But it might have been useful if Ray had said "Yes" instead...
Got it... Ray Stantz... ghostbusters... Gozer asks Ray, "Are you a God?" He was told to say yes...

@AT-AT ... told u bud... I'm always the last to know...

Note to self... must watch videos at beginning of Fool's threads... else I will be confused...

George-ananda

Premium Member
Are you conscious of bliss?
Yes, to my limited extent (not being a Brahman-Realized master yet).
Being conscious of bliss, does this make you a God?

The term 'a God' is not rightly put when there is only God/Brahman. It is only the illusion of separateness that is lifting. The more the illusion lifts, the more bliss is experienced.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
to be or not to be is the question. maybe the understanding was changed and is changing
Not really a response to what I said. If God means everything, then it is practically meaningless. I'm God, you're God, my car is God, my coffee cup is God, hemorrhoids are God, genocide is God. It renders the term functionally useless as a description of what is.

George-ananda

Premium Member
Not really a response to what I said. If God means everything, then it is practically meaningless. I'm God, you're God, my car is God, my coffee cup is God, hemorrhoids are God, genocide is God. It renders the term functionally useless as a description of what is.
Answering as me (nobody’s Fool, lol) and as a non-dualist, I would say that all those physical things you mentioned are temporary props in this play/drama of God/Brahman. God/Brahman is the Consciousness, the experiencer.

So the term God/Brahman is not useless but means the consciousness/experiencer of it all.

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
Are you a god?

jesus said yes.
ray was told to say yes.
alan said yes.
the mahavakyas say yes

if the ALL is omnipresent, yes.

I think there's a degree of truth here. We are in the image of God, which means we look after creation like God does. And, I believe audible language makes us one of the smarter of the many evolved species.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Answering as me (nobody’s Fool, lol) and as a non-dualist, I would say that all those physical things you mentioned are temporary props in this play/drama of God/Brahman. God/Brahman is the Consciousness, the experiencer.

So the term God/Brahman is not useless but means the consciousness/experiencer of it all.
Unfortunately we have no evidence I'm aware of that there actually is a "consciousness/experiencer of it all." If you have any I'd like to know what it is.

George-ananda

Premium Member
Unfortunately we have no evidence I'm aware of that there actually is a "consciousness/experiencer of it all." If you have any I'd like to know what it is.
The fact that we experience is considered self-evident.

The knowledge that all experiencers are One comes from those who have experienced the highest mystical states.

Predicting your next question, ‘no’, there is no way to show this to others. The masters say to not take their word for it but to prove it for ourselves. However stilling the noisy mind to experience pure Consciousness is not a quick and easy feat, so until I prove it for myself I will take these teachings as the most advanced I have heard from rational consideration.

I do know that the better I quiet my mind, the greater the inkling I get of what the masters are saying. I extrapolate further from there.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
The fact that we experience is considered self-evident.
Yes, and every single example we have of someone who experiences things is in the form of a being with a living brain. We have zero examples of any kind of disembodied or universal consciousness.

The knowledge that all experiencers are One comes from those who have experienced the highest mystical states.

Predicting your next question, ‘no’, there is no way to show this to others. The masters say to not take their word for it but to prove it for ourselves.
If it cannot be demonstrated to others, there is no way to rationally convince ourselves because our experience could just as easily be a hallucination, lucid dream, or other altered form of consciousness which we know are not reliable means to accurately perceive reality.