• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are You A Convert To Your Religion?

I converted to my current religion.

• Total voters

Sees

Dragonslayer
I don't know if I would consider myself as far as a convert or not. It's pretty complicated for people reviving ethnic/cultural/ancestral religion - they can be seen as very much part of it without having given much (or any) thought to religious ideology, terminology, etc. Certain elements just don't die off or go away. Feelings of learning and discovering are there but not so much adopting or transitioning.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Are you? Also, have you previously converted to any other religion?

I didnt convert to the practice I have now. Its more of a revelation. Ive always knew I wanted to find who I am through family. I tried right after my grandmother passed. I never thought of it as a religion--or involve my ancestors and family in my everyday lifestyle---until a bit later. I went to a botanica store and got a reading from a santero. The spirits basically confirmed my passion. Then I started doing more things like prayers to the spirits and such. It happened gradually like someone gradually turning up the light.

I had converted to Buddhism. I dont know if it was really a conversion, though. I believe the Dharma the same as I believe the earth revolves around the sun on its own axis. I dont have a religion anymore. Just a practice.

Corthos

Great Old One
I am (for those who don't know). =) I've been a Christian all my life, but it never really fit me right... There's good aspects, but there are some irreconcilable differences that I have with it as well.

I wish I'd have learned about Zoroastrianism sooner!.. It would have saved me a lot of time and bitterness. =)

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Isn't everyone a convert in the most basic of ways? We don't come into this world with set beliefs and a religion. Whether from as a child or finding a path on our own as an adult, don't we all, in some way, "convert" to our path?
No. I mean were you born into your faith or raised an atheist and then found another faith.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Isn't everyone a convert in the most basic of ways? We don't come into this world with set beliefs and a religion. Whether from as a child or finding a path on our own as an adult, don't we all, in some way, "convert" to our path?

No. Unless you mean organized religion. My family is still here whether I am religious in how I intereact with them or just say hey only on the holidays. Default religion, if you like. As for practices, some pagans dont adopt practices but start to create their own practices and (in my view) within those practices form a religion. Thats just how it came for me.

Indoctronized individuals arent really converts. If anything, they convert out of the religion later in life

Guess it depends on how one defins religion, which is it, and the environmental situation to which one is in.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Yes, I converted to Catholicism when I was 16/17, about a decade ago. I was Baptized, Confirmed and received First Communion at Easter Vigil in 2007.

I've gone astray a number of times and considered myself parts of other religions since, but Catholicism is the only religion I've considered myself to have actually converted to.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I was going to say yes, but on further thought, decided "No." I was raised more or less Presbyterian, was baptised, and regularly attended while young, had a born-again experience at age 12, but over the next several years I stopped participating because I had animistic experiences and didn't know how to reconcile them. Got married and attended Catholic church for a number of years, eventually stopped doing that. Decided I was an atheist and/or agnostic for a number of years. Finally, met a real animist and a number of other pagans, and started down my current path. I never really renounced Presbyterianism (and as I understand it, if you're one of the elect, or not, you don't really have a choice anyway), haven't renounced my born-again experience, but have stopped trying to belong to a Christian organization, and stopped trying to be atheistic, preferring to remain agnostic about most religious questions (especially those dealing with monotheism) while trying to view and engage with the world in a more fully animistic way. It's acknowledgement at long last of the way I have experienced the world pretty much all the way through since about age 7 or 8. But it wasn't a conversion.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I converted among several Christian denominations.

I don't view Zen Buddhism as a conversion since it isn't an introduced ideology or belief as it stands in practice.

arthra

Baha'i
Raised in a Baptist home/church.. Sang in an Episcopal choir..Later joined a Silent Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends

Around twenty five years of age became Baha'i... Married a Baha'i ...raised my children in the Faith.