• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you a cat whisperer?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I do. Had one dog, she seemed very sensitive to people who were upset or hurt, and she would keep them company. Even with my ex, who was on crutches the first time she and dog met, the dog stayed by her side while she was there and kept a watchful eye on her.
You can also much of the same thing with Rottweilers and children. Those dogs LOVE children (they're even known for herding them), and show so much patients with their grabbing hair and climbing and drooling and screaming and everything else known to upset a dog. And don't act in a threatening way towards children they have taken to, because they will not tolerate it. It's one of the few times they seem to fully get and utilize their size (other times they often think they're lap dogs, and are unfortunately known for sometimes accidentally hurting children due to bumping them), and it's not unusual for them to back someone into a corner.
And the dog I have now, she might just be one of the most jealous and possessive animals ever. She'll jump up, put her front paws on my lap, and start mean mugging people who are giving me any sort of attention. Lying in bed with my ex, my dog wedged herself between us. Petting another animal? Not on her watch.

Me neither. I think it was a book about Asperger's, although I really don't remember, but I read something that described cats as "autistic dogs." And while I don't think that's entirely accurate, I do see many parallels and similarities. Including how expressions of care may not necessarily be conventional and done in the individuals own way. And not liking change, lol.

My childhood dog was exceptional. My sister and I(we both have our own dogs now) both comment about how we had no idea about 'other' dogs, because Peabody was a true gem. He was a great dog. Other great dogs I've spent time with were a yorkie/chihuahua mix that would loyally have panic attacks with me, and an overgrown pit bull that feared nothing but an orange clean bottle(we could never figure that out). However, my time was limited with these dogs, as they weren't mine(belonged to roommates).

I do not understand the fears regarding some breeds, Rottweilers being one of them. One of my friends had a Rott as a kid; he was hyper, but he was gentle and kind. I've lived with pits too, and while a little high energy for my taste, they were far from vicious.

I've often though about dogs and cats and similarities with autism, especially when it came to school IEP meetings. (My oldest two are on the spectrum.) The teachers and staff would be discussing goals and programs, and I would ask "why do you think he would want to do those things?" And I'd get blank stares, and "why wouldn't he want to?" Well, because there's nothing in it for him, and he has no interest in performing because you want him to, or because you think he should. What's in it for him? Once we could find an incentive on the boys' terms, things usually worked much better. I'd look at the neurotypical kids in my family, and see how a little attention and praise or a fear of not doing well(regarding school)was such a motivator for them, and then I'd see my kids who couldn't possibly have cared less, and it reminded me of cats and dogs.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Oh gawd yes. We're thinking of moving house and have already talked about how to minimise the PTSD they'll have. And they won't speak to us for days.

True drama is moving 10 cats in a truck... that was a fun day.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I do not understand the fears regarding some breeds, Rottweilers being one of them. One of my friends had a Rott as a kid; he was hyper, but he was gentle and kind. I've lived with pits too, and while a little high energy for my taste, they were far from vicious.
Pits are another breed of dog I absolutely love. They really are very lovable dogs, and very affectionate towards people they are close with. It's such a shame they are also so tragically misunderstood, and human monsters have abused and tortured pits and molded them into aggressive dogs who know nothing but violence and aggression. Those people are the ones who should be taken behind the shed and shot. Not the dogs they abused. They should be given a chance with someone who has the skills, background, and patients for handling mishandled dogs.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Heyo

Veteran Member
I wanted to get back to 10 but I finally realized we are probably better off with 7 because they are all Persians and they require a lot of extra care, such as brushing, and they also have more health problems than ordinary cats.
The rumour that Persians need more care is perpetuated by the Persians, who are just lazy. I know multiple free roaming Persians who are perfectly able to care of themselves.

Heyo

Veteran Member
My childhood cat even overrode her instincts for me... I used to keep pet mice, and one got out. I figured I wouldn't see it again. Awhile later, the cat came up and headbutted me, and I put my hand out to pet her. Into my palm she dropped a terrified, but completely unharmed mouse. And then she stomped off, as if she was thinking "when will this kid learn to put her toys away?"
While cats don't have a "home zone", like most predators, they recognize "family".

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Where the heck did you find this website? That one is almost funnier than the other one, it's a contest.
I am going to get my husband to watch these, he is such a wet blanket... :rolleyes: Maybe tomorrow, today was a full cat day.
Those are purely humorous, but he does videos that are also extremely humorous and informative too. Biology is his specialty.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
The rumour that Persians need more care is perpetuated by the Persians, who are just lazy. I know multiple free roaming Persians who are perfectly able to care of themselves.
I have never heard of that. Where are these cats? I do not know how free roaming Persians could comb and brush themselves.
Why do you think Persians are lazy?

Heyo

Veteran Member
I have never heard of that. Where are these cats? I do not know how free roaming Persians could comb and brush themselves.
Why do you think Persians are lazy?
***** lived in an ex farmhouse with a friend of mine his sister and their mother. She was a good hunter and very independent. Grooming must have taken ages but she kept a well groomed fur, even when she came home full of burrs.
Later they got another Persian, a male, white fur, different coloured eyes - and deaf. He was initially not fond of the outdoors and lazy. But eventually he got the hang of it and also learned to groom himself (but still preferred to have it done).
A cat's tongue is a fine brush, perfect for fur. The downside is that cats then swallow the hair which makes them puke all over your carpet. That's the main reason most cat owners prefer to brush their cats and the cats like it, too.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
The downside is that cats then swallow the hair which makes them puke all over your carpet. That's the main reason most cat owner prefer to brush their cats and the cats like it, too.
Also, regular giving of furball paste helps. Our cats virtually never cough up a furball. It's basically malt, in fact it smells yummy - I swear one day I'll taste it...

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Took 1 cat to vet today for annual booster.

Poo in carrier. Put into second carrier. Pee in carrier. Put back into cleaned carrier. Get to vets. Jab done. Back in car. Sick in carrier....

And some people have ten cats. :eek:

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Took 1 cat to vet today for annual booster.

Poo in carrier. Put into second carrier. Pee in carrier. Put back into cleaned carrier. Get to vets. Jab done. Back in car. Sick in carrier....

And some people have ten cats. :eek:

Us 10 catters tuck cat under arm for vet trip. Forget that carrier!

Except Yodel. He goes in the carrier. I only want so many piercings.