• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you a cat whisperer?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
As hard as it might sound the honest truth is that it simply doesn't care :D

Just because a cat doesn't respond to your every whim doesn't mean they don't care. It just means they don't feel like responding.

My cat Mouser, if he wasn't sitting by the door waiting for me, would come running to me when I came home. He would also come when I called him. Not saying every cat behaves like this, but I don't think there's any truth to the claim that cats don't care about their owners. They're just not codependent like dogs are.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I am actually very good with cats, but I only got
7/8, the only one I missed was the screen door one. That was more difficult to read. Cat seemed neutral not neg imo.
Yeah, I call foul on that one (only one I got wrong). It was barely a second long, and very difficult to tell at all what was going on. I thought the cat was curious about something and reaching up to investigate.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I am actually very good with cats, but I only got
7/8, the only one I missed was the screen door one. That was more difficult to read. Cat seemed neutral not neg imo.

Edit: I own four of the purballs

Same one as me.

Yeah, I call foul on that one (only one I got wrong). It was barely a second long, and very difficult to tell at all what was going on. I thought the cat was curious about something and reaching up to investigate.

The movement of their right ear in the screen door one tipped me off that the cat was bothered by something.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Cats are generally not happy creatures:

That's a keeper and I needed a laugh today after what I just went through with Ellie, one of our 7 cats...

upload_2021-4-22_14-44-59.png

I plan to write up that story on a new thread. Needless to say, Ellie is okay but she is one expensive cat.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Just because a cat doesn't respond to your every whim doesn't mean they don't care. It just means they don't feel like responding.

My cat Mouser, if he wasn't sitting by the door waiting for me, would come running to me when I came home. He would also come when I called him. Not saying every cat behaves like this, but I don't think there's any truth to the claim that cats don't care about their owners. They're just not codependent like dogs are.
Some people seem to think cats don't "care" because they don't behave like trained dogs ie complying with commands and being at your beck and call. In this sense, I would say (sorry to besmirch cats here) that cats are more like people. One doesn't expect another person to comply with all ones wishes automatically and cats are like that. They can understand our wishes, they evaluate them and then act as they see appropriate. As a human might well do.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
cats are more like people. One doesn't expect another person to comply with all ones wishes automatically and cats are like that. They can understand our wishes, they evaluate them and then act as they see appropriate. As a human might well do.
Not unlike my husband... He can understand my wishes, evaluate them and then act as he sees appropriate, which isn't that often!

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member

Some people seem to think cats don't "care" because they don't behave like trained dogs ie complying with commands and being at your beck and call. In this sense, I would say (sorry to besmirch cats here) that cats are more like people. One doesn't expect another person to comply with all ones wishes automatically and cats are like that. They can understand our wishes, they evaluate them and then act as they see appropriate. As a human might well do.

I don't get this "cats don't care" idea, either. One of our male cats freaked out when I went into labor the last time. Every time I had a contraction, the cat would cry and roll around on the ground. Had another cat try to chase off an 'intruder'; a friend of my husband's that had come in the back door. She puffed up and snarled and let him know he wasn't welcome. She also was infatuated with the baby when we brought him home. Slept in between me and the bassinet. It even went so far as her tending to him. I woke up to him crying one night, and was about to sit up and turn the vibrate button on his bassinet(which was usually what he wanted), and I heard it go off. She was standing next to it, looking in. She had turned it on herself.

When the kids have serious upsets, the cats all come running to them. If I am unwell, most of them pile on. When I had morning sickness, one of them would come running ever time he heard me throw up, wanting to be there in my time of need.

I have dogs, too. I don't get the same caring from them. I'm not saying they don't care at all, but I feel they are more a product of training, and the concern is often more of self interest. "If I go to her, she may pet me." "Does she have food for me?" Its true they come better when called. But I just think that's more because of their instinct to obey, and hope of a treat. A cat may not come every time its called, but when it seeks me out, I feel its more genuine. (I realize I've just spoken blasphemy.)

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I don't get this "cats don't care" idea, either. One of our male cats freaked out when I went into labor the last time. Every time I had a contraction, the cat would cry and roll around on the ground. Had another cat try to chase off an 'intruder'; a friend of my husband's that had come in the back door. She puffed up and snarled and let him know he wasn't welcome. She also was infatuated with the baby when we brought him home. Slept in between me and the bassinet. It even went so far as her tending to him. I woke up to him crying one night, and was about to sit up and turn the vibrate button on his bassinet(which was usually what he wanted), and I heard it go off. She was standing next to it, looking in. She had turned it on herself.

When the kids have serious upsets, the cats all come running to them. If I am unwell, most of them pile on. When I had morning sickness, one of them would come running ever time he heard me throw up, wanting to be there in my time of need.

I have dogs, too. I don't get the same caring from them. I'm not saying they don't care at all, but I feel they are more a product of training, and the concern is often more of self interest. "If I go to her, she may pet me." "Does she have food for me?" Its true they come better when called. But I just think that's more because of their instinct to obey, and hope of a treat. A cat may not come every time its called, but when it seeks me out, I feel its more genuine. (I realize I've just spoken blasphemy.)
I fully agree although some cats seem to be more caring than others. Some of mine really know whenever I am upset and they get very disturbed and try to help. I guess that's one reason we like cats so much, they do care, although I can think of a lot of other reasons.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I fully agree although some cats seem to be more caring than others. Some of mine really know whenever I am upset and they get very disturbed and try to help. I guess that's one reason we like cats so much, they do care, although I can think of a lot of other reasons.

My childhood cat even overrode her instincts for me... I used to keep pet mice, and one got out. I figured I wouldn't see it again. Awhile later, the cat came up and headbutted me, and I put my hand out to pet her. Into my palm she dropped a terrified, but completely unharmed mouse. And then she stomped off, as if she was thinking "when will this kid learn to put her toys away?"

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara

Totally agree, it's not just about getting food. Our cat sitter obviously feeds them when we have gone away but the behaviour of one cat in particular completely changes whilst we are away. He appears at meal times but then after eating promptly disappears again. When I'm there he often likes to be near me, if only in the same room, to keep an eye on me. For feeding purposes I'm no different than the cat sitter.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I do. Had one dog, she seemed very sensitive to people who were upset or hurt, and she would keep them company. Even with my ex, who was on crutches the first time she and dog met, the dog stayed by her side while she was there and kept a watchful eye on her.
You can also much of the same thing with Rottweilers and children. Those dogs LOVE children (they're even known for herding them), and show so much patients with their grabbing hair and climbing and drooling and screaming and everything else known to upset a dog. And don't act in a threatening way towards children they have taken to, because they will not tolerate it. It's one of the few times they seem to fully get and utilize their size (other times they often think they're lap dogs, and are unfortunately known for sometimes accidentally hurting children due to bumping them), and it's not unusual for them to back someone into a corner.
And the dog I have now, she might just be one of the most jealous and possessive animals ever. She'll jump up, put her front paws on my lap, and start mean mugging people who are giving me any sort of attention. Lying in bed with my ex, my dog wedged herself between us. Petting another animal? Not on her watch.
I don't get this "cats don't care" idea, either.
Me neither. I think it was a book about Asperger's, although I really don't remember, but I read something that described cats as "autistic dogs." And while I don't think that's entirely accurate, I do see many parallels and similarities. Including how expressions of care may not necessarily be conventional and done in the individuals own way. And not liking change, lol.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
My childhood cat even overrode her instincts for me... I used to keep pet mice, and one got out. I figured I wouldn't see it again. Awhile later, the cat came up and headbutted me, and I put my hand out to pet her. Into my palm she dropped a terrified, but completely unharmed mouse. And then she stomped off, as if she was thinking "when will this kid learn to put her toys away?"
I had one cat who brought me the Easter Bunny one Easter Sunday morning.:tearsofjoy: