• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are we simulated?

Do you believe we are simulations? (Please explain why)

• Yes

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • No

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters

SabahTheLoner

Master of the Art of Couch Potato Cuddles
On YouTube just days ago, Kurzgesagt, a science and philosophy animation channel (with cute birds), and Jake, one of the hosts of the popular Vsauce channels (Vsauce3), did a collaboration on this topic. Below are links to the videos in order.

Please discuss. I know this is in the Philosophy forum but I would like answers based on scientific knowledge and religious concepts as well as philosophical arguments for/against this theory.

Bonus questions for the bold thinkers; would the race running the simulation be simulated themselves? Would going backwards trying to find the original simulator lead to a flesh-and-matter reality at some point, or is it infinite, or would the simulation become a natural phenomenon at some point? Do you believe we can achieve this with technology at some point? Finally, could this theory become a part of religion (if it has already, name a religion and explain how it supports the theory)?

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Uhhhh.....

It's elephants all the way down:D:eek::confused::rolleyes:

Edit: Sorry, meant to finish this...

While some philosophers and physicists and others like to think deep thoughts and come up with scenarios, at least right now, there is no way that anyone can prove or disprove the speculations about simulations, etc.

From a pragmatic standpoint, what difference does it make if us and our universe and everything in it are "just" a simulation? How does this change your life, what you do, etc.?

Grandliseur

On YouTube just days ago, Kurzgesagt, a science and philosophy animation channel (with cute birds), and Jake, one of the hosts of the popular Vsauce channels (Vsauce3), did a collaboration on this topic. Below are links to the videos in order.

Please discuss. I know this is in the Philosophy forum but I would like answers based on scientific knowledge and religious concepts as well as philosophical arguments for/against this theory.

Bonus questions for the bold thinkers; would the race running the simulation be simulated themselves? Would going backwards trying to find the original simulator lead to a flesh-and-matter reality at some point, or is it infinite, or would the simulation become a natural phenomenon at some point? Do you believe we can achieve this with technology at some point? Finally, could this theory become a part of religion (if it has already, name a religion and explain how it supports the theory)?
If you look at the ruminations of scientists over the last hundred years, the fact is that most, if not all, find the emptiness of our universe beyond belief. Matter is mostly made of the space in between, and the matter itself is made of stuff that is said to be points in space with no real size where the matter then comes from the forces that act between the points, etc. The big irony is that the matter that holds the universe together, dark matter, itself is invisible and nearly impossible to detect. Many are in doubt it exists, yet . . .

When turning to scripture, the concept of a virtual universe, reality (of ours) becomes even more emphasized. Things are done that cannot be done, though of course, God can do anything, but why can he?!
When a decomposing smelling corpse is resurrected in seconds, microseconds and comes out normal from the grave, the concept of virtual games clearly screams to us, when Jesus healed all, blind, lame, with a touch and the power of God, even without touching and at a distance at times, the concept of a virtual reality where things can be done by the programmer at the touch of a button, or click of a mouse, of of a cat if that is what God uses.
When we are told that he can see what we are going to say before we say it, and that this is an ability that he has for the entire planet, there is only one thing that can explain this to me, virtual reality. When God can make the shadow of the sun go backwards as in one miracle, the explanation that fits in my mind is - virtual reality.

When you have entangled matter, even entangled starfish (I recently mentioned) where at a distance when one arm on the fish is moved, the corresponding arm moves on its copy or on the original, only a virtual reality with database for each organism, for each object easily explains all.

If then an object has a single database expression, it matters not if it consists of one two or three entangled units that really only is one on the database. What happens to one, happens to all, if on the database they are one object. It goes outside time and space since time and space is an expression of this virtual reality with its database projections.

danieldemol

Premium Member
No, those who survive falling of buildings and other tragic accidents know their pain is real

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
i think quantum entanglement suggests an omnipresent non physical force that is pure information and information created matter and energy, space and time as well as consciousness and the soul. if we can tap into the language of information, than maybe we could one day be creators.

information is code, and language of thought, its specified, classified, and has types and kinds. perhaps their is bit type information that is multifaceted. not just on and off states, but highly complex arrangements, and positional input.

I am sure quantum mechanics and string theory are on the cusp of finding a new reality such as omnipresent information.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
It wouldn't make sense to simulate individual atoms for everything that exists. If it were a simulation what point would there be in so much detail. Why simulate us, who have basically zero effect upon the rest of the universe. It makes no sense. Besides that Information Theory suggests it would require a computer the size of our universe to simulate our universe (I think. I'm trying to remember where I heard that unless I'm misquoting. I'll provide the link to the video. I think I heard it somewhere in this video. Isaac Arthur video about civilization at the end of time. Isaac has another, shorter video specifically on the Simulation Hypothesis, but I have not watched it, but you may want to look that one up.)

SabahTheLoner

Master of the Art of Couch Potato Cuddles
It wouldn't make sense to simulate individual atoms for everything that exists. If it were a simulation what point would there be in so much detail. Why simulate us, who have basically zero effect upon the rest of the universe. It makes no sense. Besides that Information Theory suggests it would require a computer the size of our universe to simulate our universe (I think. I'm trying to remember where I heard that unless I'm misquoting. I'll provide the link to the video. I think I heard it somewhere in this video. Isaac Arthur video about civilization at the end of time. Isaac has another, shorter video specifically on the Simulation Hypothesis, but I have not watched it, but you may want to look that one up.)

Watch the videos and it's explained how you can simulate a universe without individual atoms. i.e, not everything in the universe has to exist simultaneously.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Watch the videos and it's explained how you can simulate a universe without individual atoms. i.e, not everything in the universe has to exist simultaneously.
I will eventually probably watch it, but it just does not seem like our universe is simulated, and what is the deal with black holes? What happens to the simulation at their boundaries? Also what's with the curvature of time and space? It seems like a unnecessary complication.

David T

Premium Member
If you look at the ruminations of scientists over the last hundred years, the fact is that most, if not all, find the emptiness of our universe beyond belief. Matter is mostly made of the space in between, and the matter itself is made of stuff that is said to be points in space with no real size where the matter then comes from the forces that act between the points, etc. The big irony is that the matter that holds the universe together, dark matter, itself is invisible and nearly impossible to detect. Many are in doubt it exists, yet . . .

When turning to scripture, the concept of a virtual universe, reality (of ours) becomes even more emphasized. Things are done that cannot be done, though of course, God can do anything, but why can he?!
When a decomposing smelling corpse is resurrected in seconds, microseconds and comes out normal from the grave, the concept of virtual games clearly screams to us, when Jesus healed all, blind, lame, with a touch and the power of God, even without touching and at a distance at times, the concept of a virtual reality where things can be done by the programmer at the touch of a button, or click of a mouse, of of a cat if that is what God uses.
When we are told that he can see what we are going to say before we say it, and that this is an ability that he has for the entire planet, there is only one thing that can explain this to me, virtual reality. When God can make the shadow of the sun go backwards as in one miracle, the explanation that fits in my mind is - virtual reality.

When you have entangled matter, even entangled starfish (I recently mentioned) where at a distance when one arm on the fish is moved, the corresponding arm moves on its copy or on the original, only a virtual reality with database for each organism, for each object easily explains all.

If then an object has a single database expression, it matters not if it consists of one two or three entangled units that really only is one on the database. What happens to one, happens to all, if on the database they are one object. It goes outside time and space since time and space is an expression of this virtual reality with its database projections.
You prove that we don't live in a simulation. I would say how exactly but I would be red carded by the forum refs.

Grandliseur

You prove that we don't live in a simulation. I would say how exactly but I would be red carded by the forum refs.
When I discussed the flat-earth claim with someone I know, he began to use insulting language; he also told me that the spherical earth claim was an Illuminati conspiracy and from satan. In return, I asked that he just kept himself to science and geometry.

While you may disagree with me, are you unable to state why without falling back on the tactics of those who cannot use clear, concise scientific or religious arguments? That would be a shame if communication degrades to that level.

Have a nice day.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
While whether or not we're simulated isn't likely to change much about our day to day lives It does have some application to the serious consideration of such things as the nature of truth, etc. But most people never deal with those issues -- even when they think they do -- so it seems likely that only the most curious of us would care about simulation.

Laika

Premium Member

Voted "Maybe". If I said "no" it would be purely a hunch but I can't actually prove it (yet). The argument for a simulation I believe hinges on the probability that the world is a simulation if an advanced civilisation were to create one. So it does not "prove" that we live in a simulation, the same way it does not disprove it either. That would be the area I'd want to look into more.

This could be an interesting thread to watch. :)

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
On YouTube just days ago, Kurzgesagt, a science and philosophy animation channel (with cute birds), and Jake, one of the hosts of the popular Vsauce channels (Vsauce3), did a collaboration on this topic. Below are links to the videos in.

Life is not a simulation.

Why? Because we would not simulate certain things. Why? Because we already do simulate a lot of stuff? Huh what? Video games. We simulate life with video games. We even simulate mundane life like career simulators, dating simulators, or even terrible things like horror games. Horror, race, crafting, fantasy, sports, war and the list goes on.

But why would we simulate child molestation? What purpose does that serve in a simulation? What about rape? For what purpose would someone sign up for these simulations? We don't simulate these situation in video games because they are too real, too gruesome, too painful. But yet these evils are performed on a daily basis in our reality.

So therefore. This is not a simulation.

Jumi

Although interesting to think about, there is no difference if we are simulated or not as we can't envision an escape from the universe or the simulation during our lifetime.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

That's already been disproven so no.

David T

Premium Member
When I discussed the flat-earth claim with someone I know, he began to use insulting language; he also told me that the spherical earth claim was an Illuminati conspiracy and from satan. In return, I asked that he just kept himself to science and geometry.

While you may disagree with me, are you unable to state why without falling back on the tactics of those who cannot use clear, concise scientific or religious arguments? That would be a shame if communication degrades to that level.

Have a nice day.
First of all a simulated reality would claim Jesus, rose from the dead literally and that was the intent of the cross. I can go further and say Ken ham and ark literally existed. Is there a difference between the infantile dip, **** delusion of Ken ham and the ark and we live in a virtual reality? None. Anyone who holds to "virtual reality" as ****ing realitly is to inbred to understand much except there own stupid bull****., I could accept it except it but it's too stupid to entertain except as a joke. So as a joke it is hilarious. Like sasquatch. Or crop circles. I wonder recommend going Going to the aliens are abducting us website. You might find it more Aligned to your stupid. OMG there I go. And I will get in trouble for stating fact oh my. This is not a science fiction site I spite of the religious fans.

Grandliseur

First of all a simulated reality would claim Jesus, rose from the dead literally and that was the intent of the cross. I can go further and say Ken ham and ark literally existed. Is there a difference between the infantile dip, **** delusion of Ken ham and the ark and we live in a virtual reality? None. Anyone who holds to "virtual reality" as ****ing realitly is to inbred to understand much except there own stupid bull****., I could accept it except it but it's too stupid to entertain except as a joke. So as a joke it is hilarious. Like sasquatch. Or crop circles. I wonder recommend going Going to the aliens are abducting us website. You might find it more Aligned to your stupid. OMG there I go. And I will get in trouble for stating fact oh my. This is not a science fiction site I spite of the religious fans.
I am not sure why you even visit forums and ask questions. You are obviously not interested in anything outside your own sphere of beliefs.
Have it your way, and please start studying how to phrase things without all the expletives. It surely doesn't demonstrate higher learning at any level, scientific, religious, philosophical, etc.

Do you know who and what Oppenheimer quoted after the first atomic explosion?! Kind of telling whether you believe Indian mythology or not.