• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are we really open

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
If asked, I'll answer to anyone about my beliefs. But belief, for dharmics, is only one aspect of the religion. Practice is a far greater aspect. Open to hostile interrogation, probably not much, because I wouldn't see the point of that.

Trackdayguy

Speed doesn't kill, it's hitting the wall
I think the lack of openness is due to a chosen blindness. "If I ask these difficult questions and find out what I have invested in is a myth, I'll be devastated". So I wont ask. When I rejected the whole concept of original sin, having a savior didn't work anymore. I still came away with some good principles, but there was no doubt in my mind that the whole thing was a myth.

I think that openness comes from honesty.

Ellen Brown

I have tried most of my life to to be open to new ideas and concepts, even when I was a part of evangelical fundamentalism from 81- 98, I thought I was open, but the lights all came on for me when when I started seeing the massive contradictions and that most of my faith, was in my faith, along with that living in a Poly family didn't go down that well at church. It's interesting how understanding is progressive. I figured out years before I left Christianity that institutional religion had shammed peoples sexuality and its concepts of attraction, sex and monogamy were all man made traditions. One of the main tragedies for me was speaking to people who claimed to be open, but in reality where closed books.

It was time to take stock and move on.

No regrets.

So, it sounds as if you were either Islamic or Fundy Mormon? No criticism either way. Islam is unapologetically Poly, while SLC Mormons are said to have abandoned the practice. I don't care either way as long as everyone is happy. In the case of the Fundy Mormons, I could never understand their doing it despite Jacob 2?

I've also seen it in my area in non-church relationships ...

"Legal Marriage" is a machination of man, though for me, once a heterosexual couple has had coitus they are married in the eyes of God. I don't know what to think of SSM but do not criticise them.

The words of Jesus the Christ are extremely important, especially in Matt 5. Micah 6:8 is pivotal to me. Sadly, there are many who are not happy until they have a whole library full of rules. That is not for me.

Trackdayguy

So, it sounds as if you were either Islamic or Fundy Mormon? No criticism either way. Islam is unapologetically Poly, while SLC Mormons are said to have abandoned the practice. I don't care either way as long as everyone is happy. In the case of the Fundy Mormons, I could never understand their doing it despite Jacob 2?

I've also seen it in my area in non-church relationships ...

"Legal Marriage" is a machination of man, though for me, once a heterosexual couple has had coitus they are married in the eyes of God. I don't know what to think of SSM but do not criticise them.

The words of Jesus the Christ are extremely important, especially in Matt 5. Micah 6:8 is pivotal to me. Sadly, there are many who are not happy until they have a whole library full of rules. That is not for me.

Evangelical Christian

Ellen Brown

Evangelical Christian

There are OTHER Christian denominations that practice Poly, or your parents did it but your church did not? I think that Paul only speaks against it once in the NT ??? OH, well, I am firmly a recluse, so will not be marrying.

Trackdayguy

Your quite correct, and we occasionally attend the United Church, we have some good friends there. As a general rule the United Church of Canada is more open than the rest, but it also depends who the minister is. The other issue for the 4 of us is we have all rejected the original sin concept and therefore as had been said by another poster why would you need a saviour.