• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are we monotheistic?

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
For a force/being to be considered a god, it seems it would have to require consciousness and intent. Biological predisposition may be a Form in itself, but it is one driven by absolutely no intelligence or will. Like the order of the material world, it is mindless and unthinking. However, something like the Form of knowledge would have to be conscious, as there is no knowledge without consciousness. But if anything is conscious, it must be rooted in the Form of consciousness, Set, itself. This would mean that all "gods" are actually just manifestations of a greater being, in this case Set. Is this a type of gnostic monotheism almost, where like in the BoCFBN we recognize Set as "the one true God?"

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
Some Setians may be monotheistic, but I wouldn't lump them all into that one category. To me Set is the origin, the primordial source for all consciousness within this Universe, however, he is not necessarily the only divine entity or "one true god". We humans as aspiring gods or daimons, through Black Magick, are capable of bringing into meaningful existence other god-like forms or daimons. I understand your point 1137 and agree with it, I just don't think "monotheist" is necessarily a proper descriptive of the Setian.

Last edited:

Premium Member
I've been thinking about this more, and I don't really see how Setianism could be non-monotheistic. All consciousness is rooted in Set, meaning even if there are other conscious gods they are simply a lower manifestation of Set Itself. From a platonic standpoint, there's really no other way to understand Set, and I would say that if something is not conscious it cannot be a Being/God/god by definition.

Interesting topic. Yes, it is some years old, but I want share some thoughts.

When we think of the Abrahamic religions, it is not clear, especially in the biblical tradition of the Old Testament, whether there are other gods or YHVH is the only God. "Thou shalt have no other gods beside me." In the western traditions the idea prevailed that God makes covenant with people. Modern traditions like the Baha'i try to connect western and eastern traditions and find a common truth behind monism and monotheism.

I think the concepts of God are largely theological in nature, philosophical speculations. On the other hand, the God of the Hebrews, the Muslims and the Baha'i has always been one who has covenanted with his people. God always acted collectively, issuing rules and norms for collectives.

I perceive Set as an intelligent entity behind my consciousness. The relationship is personal. It is not important to me whether Set is described by the concepts of monism or monotheism, and he may be the only one, or there may be other gods. If there will be other Gods, it's not important because Set is isolated. As the earliest form of isolated self-consciousness, Set is the source of various notions of God; depending on how humans define God, the definition of Set might also be different if humans could recognize Set. Most of the time, however, they do not take the step behind their concept of God.

Last edited:

Premium Member
I've been thinking about this more, and I don't really see how Setianism could be non-monotheistic. All consciousness is rooted in Set, meaning even if there are other conscious gods they are simply a lower manifestation of Set Itself. From a platonic standpoint, there's really no other way to understand Set, and I would say that if something is not conscious it cannot be a Being/God/god by definition.

It is so crazy to come back and see all these old posts of mine, I can't believe I signed up 11 years ago. I am the farthest thing from monotheism but still a Setian. This idea of idealism at the time was greatly inspired by philosopher/scientist Bernardo Kastrup, though I have come to very much reject his conclusions in recent years. Set is simply one Form of one kind of consciousness, if we keep with the comparison to Platonism. In fact I became such a hard dualist that I rejected dualism all together for pluralism, as a type of hard polytheism.