• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are We in Late Stage Capitalism?

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm seeing a lot on social media about us (the US, the West, the world?) being in late stage capitalism. The idea as I understand it is that capitalism will soon collapse and/or be replaced by another economic system.

Do you agree? Is capitalism doomed? How will it end? What will, or should, replace it?

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
If we don't step in and do some significant adjustments, this economic machine will fail pretty soon, imo.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
“A spectre is haunting Europe—the spectre of Communism."

-Marx, 1848.

It's been 173 years since and capitalism is still strong.

I think it will be fine.

Last edited:

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
I don't think so. Not as long as those in power stay in power, and money (via-capitalism) is a pretty good tool to utilize in order to hang onto that power. Not only that, but a pretty huge margin of the population of the United States still buys into the idea of capitalism (even though they are the ones being capitalized upon).

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'm seeing a lot on social media about us (the US, the West, the world?) being in late stage capitalism. The idea as I understand it is that capitalism will soon collapse and/or be replaced by another economic system.

Do you agree? Is capitalism doomed? How will it end? What will, or should, replace it?
If you take a look around at what technology is doing, everything Industial based (including our Capitalist economies) isn't late stage as it's in a terminal stage. It has been hung up on a rope, in the process of being eviscerated, to be followed with quartering. Technology is execution Capitalism, and things like Universal Basic Income I do truly believe will be nothing more than a bandaid solution for some organs about to spill out.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I don't think so. Not as long as those in power stay in power, and money (via-capitalism) is a pretty good tool to utilize in order to hang onto that power. Not only that, but a pretty huge margin of the population of the United States still buys into the idea of capitalism (even though they are the ones being capitalized upon).
How does that work when when we know longer have ways to feasibly make money and viably distribute it? What value is money when the bulk majority of society is ran by what is essentially a slave force of robots?

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
How does that work when when we know longer have ways to feasibly make money and viably distribute it? What value is money when the bulk majority of society is ran by what is essentially a slave force of robots?

I'm not saying it's a good system, but I am saying that it's not going anywhere any time soon... When it does, what happened in Moldova when the Soviet Union collapsed will happen here, IMO. :shrug:

PureX

Veteran Member

Human stupidity is far more stubborn and resilient then that. I predict we will continue to chase the idiocy of capitalism to the bitter end. And as it destroys us, we will continue to deny that it’s to blame. Oh, wait, we’re already at that point. So I guess I was right.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member

We don't have ways of viably making (do you mean earning or printing) or distributing money?

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Human stupidity is far more stubborn and resilient then that. I predict we will continue to chase the idiocy of capitalism to the bitter end. And as it destroys us, we will continue to deny that it’s to blame. Oh, wait, we’re already at that point. So I guess I was right.

So you believe capitalism will...eradicate the human race? How do you see that going?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

There's no incentive to. The oligarchs in charge like it the way it is right now. As long as people keep spending, it will never change. Why would they?

Besides, you hear the stories. California has a booming great economy and people are living the life.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
The world does not need humans. They have done nothing but destroy it.
Humans need the world to be healthy, to survive.
They are effectively committing suicide.

So do you think the human race is going to wipe itself out? What non-capitalistic remedy would prevent that outcome?

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Which adjustments, and how do you think it will fail if we don't?

I think this 5 minute video is a great look at how we need to adjust our thinking. In addition, I would say that the Eisenhower economics from the 50s can give us good insight:

- raise taxes on the wealthy
- fund infrastructure and education
- provide support for a large and prosperous middle class

(I don't think we need the massive defense spending however)

AND !!! We MUST protect our environment!!!!

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
It can evolve into something more just and sustainable. I am realizing the awareness of this possibility is real.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I think this 5 minute video is a great look at how we need to adjust our thinking. In addition, I would say that the Eisenhower economics from the 50s can give us good insight:

- raise taxes on the wealthy
- fund infrastructure and education
- provide support for a large and prosperous middle class

(I don't think we need the massive defense spending however)

AND !!! We MUST protect our environment!!!!

I didn't watch the video (I may have seen it before, I think?) but it seems we could make the changes you outlined while still having a capitalistic framework, no?