• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are we heading towards WW3? (poll)

Will the Syrian situation lead to WW3 between Russia and USA?

• Yes, it's very likely

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • It's somewhat likely

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • neutral or unsure

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • It's somewhat unlikely

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • No, it's very unlikely

Votes: 15 40.5%

• Total voters

Kapalika

Premium Member
Russia suspends agreement that prevents direct conflict with US forces

Could Trump's Syria Strike Cause World War 3? Observers Are Concerned

another, more recognized source about the WW3 talk but doesn't give opinion:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2017/04/07/world-war-iii-twitter/100162584/

Due to the Syrian situation talked about in the articles above.

From my understanding of the situation, Russia is suspending the agreement as a way to deter US flights/action in the region. No Russians have been killed, and it's not clear to me that there is going to be any intended military confrontation between the US and Russia. And even if somehow there was a collision or a US plane shot down ,the Russians could easily claim they didn't know it was US.

Even if that somehow escalated it, and there was some kind of skirmish, I'm not convinced that either side would declare war least of all a nuclear war over this. I kind of feel that this type of thing happens a lot where the US sticks it's nose but that the media has picked up on this as Syria is one of the hot beds for the neo-con agenda.

What do you think? Could this lead to ww3 or is everyone freaking out just over reacting?

EDIT: added a source

Last edited:

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic

From my understanding of the situation, Russia is suspending the agreement as a way to deter US flights/action in the region. No Russians have been killed, and it's not clear to me that there is going to be any intended military confrontation between the US and Russia. And even if somehow there was a collision or a US plane shot down ,the Russians could easily claim they didn't know it was US.

Even if that somehow escalated it, and there was some kind of skirmish, I'm not convinced that either side would declare war least of all a nuclear war over this. I kind of feel that this type of thing happens a lot where the US sticks it's nose but that the media has picked up on this as Syria is one of the hot beds for the neo-con agenda.

What do you think? Could this lead to ww3 or is everyone freaking out just over reacting?

I don't think we are. We've come closer to WW3 than this and the two sides stepped back to calm down.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I voted somewhat.
I think the world situation is heading for a violent disaster. Whether Syria will be the flashpoint, or something else, remains to be seen, but it isn't too hard to imagine. It could easily be, especially if it's a long dragged out battle between Russia and USA.
Tom

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
Fighting is taking place in Syria, and we have carefully avoided attacking Russia. Russia is technically on our side, although they are working against us diplomatically in some ways.

Wirey

Fartist
No way. Russia and the US must be nervous about the unpredictable schmuck on the other side of the fence, and will avoid provocation accordingly. Next Friday this is all blown over and the Russians are using conventional bombs against children again.

Kapalika

Premium Member
A stellar source!

I take it you are being sarcastic.

It was the first article I could find after looking for 10 minutes that talked about all this buzz on social media and other places talking about WW3 and actually gave an opinion without being ultra alarmist. I wanted something to address that. I figured the guy made a couple of good points.

I don't know anything about the source but that shouldn't matter, only the content of the article should. It's a bit' ad hominem/appeal to authority to just outright dismiss something simply because of who said it.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
No I am not.
Well not entirely, I was born.
I am saying that the current players are dramatically different.
Tom

Yes. They are light weights compared to that shoe wielding nutcase that threatened to bury us. Putin hasn't place missiles ninety miles off our coast.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Thinking about it, I added an article by USA Today. Is that better? It doesn't really say much, like every other article other than the one I originally included in the OP.
Is it better that you found it worthwhile to cite a source that "doesn't really say much"? :D Probably not.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

another, more recognized source about the WW3 talk but doesn't give opinion:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2017/04/07/world-war-iii-twitter/100162584/

EDIT: added a source

Remember Russian invasion of Afghanistan?

I think people enjoy freaking out over these kind of things.

Deathbydefault

Apistevist Asexual Atheist
I say that it's somewhat likely.
Stupider wars have been started by smarter people and for lesser offenses.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Yes. They are light weights compared to that shoe wielding nutcase that threatened to bury us. Putin hasn't place missiles ninety miles off our coast.
A lot has changed in the last 50+ years. Especially weapons tech. Also USA dominance versus Russian.
And no I don't think this particular issue is going to set off WWIII. But I do think that the conflict between Russia and USA is growing, the middle east the likeliest flashpoint, and Syria the current hot spot. Russia wants control there and Trump is easily led by the ego.
Tom

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Why are people so obsessed with WWIII? The first and second were even retro-named, so predicting the third is somewhat ridiculous in my mind. Shouldn't we be more worried about how to prevent it, rather than anticipate when it's going to happen?

Kapalika

Premium Member
Is it better that you found it worthwhile to cite a source that "doesn't really say much"? :D Probably not.

It basically says "a bunch of people are freaking out and talking about WW3" and then gives a bunch of tweets without commenting much. I need something for the premise of the topic to link it to the actual article about the event itself or else people loose context of why I'm asking the question. So I don't know what else I could of linked.

It's all that I could really find, but it is definite that it's a popular thought and I've had at least two friends acting like it's the real deal. Which is why I made the topic. If I had found an article that broke down the fears in a rational way and explained why or why not they are founded or unfounded I wouldn't of felt the need to make this topic.