• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are we following the correct Biblical calendar?

rosends

Brother, i already said twice that i think there is a biblical and rabbinical calendar. And i am asking how the Biblical one works.
So why do you think that there is a biblical one? And if there is, then the bible should be your guide -- can you show me in the bible where details are given about how it works? Otherwise, you are just asking for rabbinic interpretation.
Do you know how to biblical one works? I am trying to figure out how a year works. If you know something about this topic, feel free to share your understanding.
I'm still not clear on why you think there even is a biblical one. I guess in the most generic sense, there is a day set out to be the head of all the months (assuming months make up a year) though I don't know how many months there are (or how many days are in each month). Each passing of this "head of a month" marks a year.

dantech

So why do you think that there is a biblical one? And if there is, then the bible should be your guide -- can you show me in the bible where details are given about how it works? Otherwise, you are just asking for rabbinic interpretation.

I'm still not clear on why you think there even is a biblical one. I guess in the most generic sense, there is a day set out to be the head of all the months (assuming months make up a year) though I don't know how many months there are (or how many days are in each month). Each passing of this "head of a month" marks a year.
I believe he is asking about the fact that in the Lunar calendar that we as Jews follow, the first month of the year is Tishrei. Whereas in the Torah, the first month is Nissan.

I think that because of this, he believes that here are two different calendars. I'm just assuming. Of course, I could be rusty, I haven't been on these forums in quite some time!

rosends

I believe he is asking about the fact that in the Lunar calendar that we as Jews follow, the first month of the year is Tishrei. Whereas in the Torah, the first month is Nissan.

I think that because of this, he believes that here are two different calendars. I'm just assuming. Of course, I could be rusty, I haven't been on these forums in quite some time!
I got the sense that he was seeing a distinction between the "pure" lunar and the adjusted solar-lunar one because the only textual references we have are to some sort of lunar one (though there is really no biblical clarification).

Welcome back!