• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are we done?

King Phenomenon

Do you think evolution has any more big changes in store for species before they go extinct and if so what would they be in your opinion?

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
If we don't destroy ourselves, I'm sure we'll continue to evolve.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Do you think evolution has any more big changes in store for species before they go extinct?
Which species are you talking about?

Cockroaches are so well adapted to so many environments that they won't have to change to survive nuclear war. Humans and elephants are far more at risk.
Tom

exchemist

Veteran Member
Do you think evolution has any more big changes in store for species before they go extinct and if so what would they be in your opinion?
I expect there will be some rapid adaptation of corals and other sea life due to climate change and the acidification of the oceans.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
There are already various diving related adaptations in human populations that dive a lot.

https://phys.org/news/2018-04-genetic-humans.html

Superior Underwater Vision in a Human Population of Sea Gypsies - ScienceDirect

This makes sense for a couple of reasons. First both of these groups are somewhat isolated genetically for multiple generations from the larger group of humans. Secondly their mutations are beneficial, not harmful, to the extent that those with these adaptations are more likely to reproduce.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!

Life evolves all the time, slowly but constantly. Come back in 100,000 years and you wouldn't recognise yourself.

What won't have evolved, things like the horseshoe crab, razor clam, horsetails and a few other species

As for the rest. Who knows what adaptions will come

b1cd4db18b1b5397d8477fcfd441a221.jpg

danieldemol

Premium Member
Species that go extinct tend to do so because the population has failed to adapt to new circumstances, so if they are going extinct they probably haven’t adapted further, but for the ones that don’t go extinct they will change as much as environmental circumstances demand it.

I don’t know what that will look like ultimately.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
IF we have to wait for evolution to get big changes, I think it might take a before we go extinct.
And when extinct, then according to evolution "one day" they become un-extincted again.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Genetic engineering will drive future changes more & more.
I predict....
- Longer life.
- Increased intelligence.
- Generic attractiveness.
- Fewer birth defects.
- An extra & longer digits on each hand for Franz Liszt fans.
- Women will have one hooter in the back (for dancing).

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I predict....
- Longer life.
- Fewer birth defects.
Okay, on your point about generic attractiveness, that's wishful thinking, right?

And for the record, I can reach a fourteenth on the piano, and when I play Liszt's Concert Etudes (especially Un Sospiro), that's a darned handy thing, by gum!

I'm going to totally ignore your last suggestion....

Tambourine

Which species are you talking about?

Cockroaches are so well adapted to so many environments that they won't have to change to survive nuclear war. Humans and elephants are far more at risk.
Tom
As far as I know, cockroaches spread to temperate and cold climates due to the prevalence of central heating, so if our civilization ceases to exist, they are likely to die out in a lot of urban areas where they are currently endemic.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
I wait for the day when we'll get gills and fins between our toes.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Yeah, nothing in the world is static, except trilobites.

This is what I found science to be saying: The Future of Evolution: What Will We Become? | Live Science

"Ward suggests that, if left untouched, humans might converge in appearance as populations mix. "I kind of view us all as eventually having chocolate-covered hair and medium stature, getting rid of all extremes," he speculated. "Of course, the big elephant in the room, the change from the past that you cannot ignore when talking about the future of human evolution, is genetic engineering."

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I predict....
- Longer life.
- Fewer birth defects.

I think you might have missed out genetic treatments for diseases and perhaps other issues, which, being so far into the future, we might be able to control and/or eliminate (being exceptionally optimistic of course), but what that entails for all other life I shudder to think.

I think two opposable thumbs (so a symmetrical hand) would be neat - might enable many things to be done with a single hand rather than two. :monkeyface: :monkeyface:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
I predict....
- Longer life.
- Fewer birth defects.

It seems we are already close the maximum age limit possible for humans

I could do with some more intelligence

Are genes attractive?

Medical science has already worked wonders on birth defects, progress continues

Longer digits, handy for texting too

Hands off.