• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are we better off with or without belief in "God"?

Jeremiah

Not talking about the actual, factual God but just the belief of.

What are the pros and cons? Are we better off with or without it?

Individually and socially.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Depends on whether what baseless belief people would replace it with, was better or worse than belief in god.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Belief in God is a very vast concept to explore, as to some, God is transcendence, to others God is a personal God.
it may boil down to what the person is about, how mature is their philosophy and how healthy is their perspective.
can we really define a single model for a belief in God which we can start listing pros and cons for?

ayani

depends on whom you ask.

and one person's understanding of God may be very different from another's. one person doesn't believe that God could or would ever ask for a person to give up anything for His sake. another believes that God would ask a person to give up home, house, and livelihood for a closer walk with Him.

a person may believe sincerely in One God, and may his neighbor. but definitions of God, debates as to who God is and how and where He moves are difficult to agree on without some common ground, beyond a belief in a Higher Being.

Clover

Taoist & Shintoist Farmer
Right now, I think we'd be better off with believers in God, but I think later on, once humanity has evolved more, we'd be better off without it.

A

angellous_evangellous

Right now, I think we'd be better off with believers in God, but I think later on, once humanity has evolved more, we'd be better off without it.

Do you think that humanity would be better off without art or music as well ... or good literature?

When we no longer need tools to assist us in knowing ourselves, we will not be humans but gods.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Do you think that humanity would be better off without art or music as well ... or good literature?

When we no longer need tools to assist us in knowing ourselves, we will not be humans but gods.
... or dead. Furthermore, our friend Clover seems to hold a sloppy yet naively optimistic concept of human evolution.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Without a sword of fire behind and a divine reward before, people will run amok.

People can't figure out what's right and wrong on their own, much less be trusted to act in a morally responsible manner, without a divine instruction manual.

People cannot live happily and securely all on their own. Just as children are lost and afraid without their parents, so all humanity is lost and afraid without a Heavenly Father to depend on.

[picture tongue-in-cheek emoticon here]

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Without a sword of fire behind and a divine reward before, people will run amok.

People can't figure out what's right and wrong on their own, much less be trusted to act in a morally responsible manner, without a divine instruction manual.

People cannot live happily and securely all on their own. Just as children are lost and afraid without their parents, so all humanity is lost and afraid without a Heavenly Father to depend on.

[picture tongue-in-cheek emoticon here]
Are you seeking to demonstrate your ability to ridicule an anthropomorphic God or simply trying to taint theism with your caricature?

Last edited:

mickiel

Would the world be better off without Atheist?

Certainly not. What would up be without down?

What would positive be without negative?

What would life be without death?

What would intelligent conversation be without sarcasm?

What would belief be without unbelief?

No, we need the Atheist, the Dark side of the Moon.

Peace.

Clover

Taoist & Shintoist Farmer

Comparing Christians to Music and Art, doesn't seem right.
Christians are people, not tools, maybe you believe they are tools to your god, but are you saying Christians are tools of humanity?

... or dead. Furthermore, our friend Clover seems to hold a sloppy yet naively optimistic concept of human evolution.

Insults get humanity no where.

slave2six

Substitious
It really depends upon how this non-belief occurs. I think that history has enough evidence to show that trying to force people not to worship god is a really bad idea (I'm thinking about communism as a political force here) which is why the founding fathers of the US, many of whom were not adherents to the prevalent religion of their day, were wise in allowing the freedom of religion.

However, if in some sci-fi future mankind finally gets a handle on the brain and can genetically alter people to behave in non-destructive ways (without making them robots) then belief in god will be pointless.

As it stands, just like we have welfare for the mentally ill who are unable to work to support themselves, religion is necessary for those who are unable to think for themselves or to realize the cold hard truth that human beings thrive when they behave in certain ways and that it is in our own self-interest to be kind to others, to care for those in need, and to elevate the downtrodden because when we do these things we as human beings are happy within ourselves while also bringing happiness to others. It does not take a belief in any deity to realize that this is how we as biological creatures function at our best.

Not everyone can manage to realize this on their own though, more's the pity.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Not talking about the actual, factual God but just the belief of.

What are the pros and cons? Are we better off with or without it?

Individually and socially.

I think it depends on which god beliefs you are talking about. Some god beliefs seem pretty innocent and others are rather dangerous.

logician

I'm much better off w/o a belief in god - the fake guilt that is laid upon a person by many religions I believe is quite stifiling to free thought and rational thinking.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I'm much better off w/o a belief in god - the fake guilt that is laid upon a person by many religions I believe is quite stifiling to free thought and rational thinking.
Your statement is illogical. That "many religions" promote guilt (fake or otherwise) does not mean that theism necessarily promotes guilt.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
It really depends upon how this non-belief occurs. I think that history has enough evidence to show that trying to force people not to worship god is a really bad idea (I'm thinking about communism as a political force here) which is why the founding fathers of the US, many of whom were not adherents to the prevalent religion of their day, were wise in allowing the freedom of religion.

However, if in some sci-fi future mankind finally gets a handle on the brain and can genetically alter people to behave in non-destructive ways (without making them robots) then belief in god will be pointless.

As it stands, just like we have welfare for the mentally ill who are unable to work to support themselves, religion is necessary for those who are unable to think for themselves or to realize the cold hard truth that human beings thrive when they behave in certain ways and that it is in our own self-interest to be kind to others, to care for those in need, and to elevate the downtrodden because when we do these things we as human beings are happy within ourselves while also bringing happiness to others. It does not take a belief in any deity to realize that this is how we as biological creatures function at our best.

Not everyone can manage to realize this on their own though, more's the pity.

Religion is not some band-aid for a mental handicap. I don't doubt that many people use it that way but it is not it's only or even it's main use. For the majority religion is a guide on their spiritual journey.