• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are we at a turning point?

Are we at a turning point?

• Yes

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • I'm not sure

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I've had this feeling for a while that something is changing. It's not just one thing but all of them together, like the perfect storm is brewing: climate change, overpopulation, national disasters, the depletion of the earth's finite resources, the morally bankrupt society, all the red flags in the financial markets that keep getting ignored even when everything in unraveling before our eyes, etc, etc, etc.
Am I the only one who can't shake this feeling that something huge is going to happen?

This must be what the Industrial Revolution felt like, too.

I think the extent of most disasters is mediated by the variety of people on the planet. I have always been taught to forgive and strengthen the weak, and I believe that is still the best course. I think there is no need for a human controlled culling, and sometimes it is the bent flower that later saves a town. The greatest danger is people forgetting history again, but the second greatest danger is I think too much uniformity -- everyone thinking and doing the same things. That creates a great weakness that can wipe out everyone when an evil disease or idea comes along (and they do from time to time). Let Harry and Bob be so different that bad things do not spread well. I think that at this time people are still quite varied. We do mostly share some common languages, but what is also true is that there remain unchangeable differences. I think this will help to contain anything really bad.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Am I the only one who can't shake this feeling that something huge is going to happen?

I think something huge has been happening for quite some time, from WWII through now. But to me huge is not like a super-gigantic short-lived event but rather a chance that takes decades upon decades.

We've been in the longest stretch of relative peace in human history. Shooting war has given way to economic and computer warfare.

Crime is going down. Absolute poverty all over the world is decreasing. We've seen the spread of social entrepreneurs, something that did not exist when I was growing up.

At the same time, we're seeing cracks appearing in traditional structures. Political divisions are increasing. The environment is sliding into crisis. The magnetic poles are showing signs of flipping. I've heard many people say that "something or other just does not work any longer".

I'm not a Christian but the image of "a thief in the night" seems spot on.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I've had this feeling for a while that something is changing. It's not just one thing but all of them together, like the perfect storm is brewing: climate change, overpopulation, national disasters, the depletion of the earth's finite resources, the morally bankrupt society, all the red flags in the financial markets that keep getting ignored even when everything in unraveling before our eyes, etc, etc, etc.

Something huge is always happening. But I see it not as a turning point, but as a progression.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I see much the same thing you do and yet I am an eternal optimist. As @Brickjectivity pointed out there were probably similar attitudes during the Industrial Revolution. It's not something new. My solution is prepare for the worst; hope for the best.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Big things have constantly been happening/changing during the whole course of human history. We've became more aware of it due to the prevalence of the internet. Information is far more readily accessible than it had been previous decades.

lioncub1503

Seven ate nine
Funny, those things you mentioned are in the bible.

“For nation will rise against nation and kingdom against kingdom, and there will be food shortages and earthquakes in one place after another.” -Matthew 24:7 “...and then the end will come.” :14 (This is talking about a little while later)

Since 1914 (special date phrophacied) these things have increased dramatically, never before have reports of these been so high. You could argue that there have always been wars, but never before has nation risen against nation, as in world war. Never, and suddenly there are two, the first one in a supposed year of peace and they promised never to have another one. Look at WW2.
Also, maybe people could say that it is because of more humans and advanced technology, however it has stayed pretty much the same in history, and now has shot up.
Earthquakes, something that is non controlable by humans and are not effected by us, the reports are shocking at how much they have increased. It is sad, and makes people afraid for the future.

There are also other prophecies in Matthew, and the other gospels, that are coming true in our own day, it is quite amazing.

These are our opinions, however everyone has different ideas. I understand what you mean, and even if I wasn’t a Christian JW I would think that something was building. Maybe not to a judgement day, but to something like world war 3 or a global natural disaster apocalypse. This concerns many people.

74x12

World War 3 is looking very possible.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
An awakening is about to happen!

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Climate change is probably the only thing that is remotely a true modern concept.
Overpopulation perhaps as well. Or at least acknowledgement of it.
Natural disasters have been devastating the earth since before there were animals.
People have been depleting natural resources for thousands of years. Society never had morals to begin with.
Red flags in the financial market? Mate, the Great Depression was last century.
The world keeps turning and change keeps happening. Tis but life.