• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are we asking the wrong questions?

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
I'm hoping people here can aid in a little unpaid research.

I am writing a piece - maybe a book if I really put my mind to it ...

Basically you could help by listing the biggest mystery in your life and how it might affect you if you were ever to come across a perfectly believable answer.

That's a bit long-winded. But hopefully not totally confusing :)

Anyway it is not meant to be too "serious" - you have survived this long without an answer.

So I'm open for anything - just tell me what questions are on your mind on a regular basis ...

Enjoy your day!

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Lives can have a lot of mysteries to them. What sort of mysteries are you looking for, GA?

Jumi

Well personally I'm discussing with myself situations that seem to repeat until you solve them, then never reappear again. Though I've rarely heard people talk of such things more than in anecdotes of short quotes it's one of the weirdest things in life for sure.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
* When I go to shop for groceries their is No up-front co-pay, and No more totals past the cash register.
* When I go to the garage there is No up-front co-pay, and No more totals past the cash register.
* When I go to the doctor's office there is an up-front co-pay, then an additional unknown $ bill arrives from the doctor.
Followed up by an unknown $ amount from the insurance company because of Not meeting some sort of deductible.
So, on a regular basis I wish my doctor worked in a grocery store, or at a garage.
That way I would Not have questions on a regular basis about what ' surprise ' post-medical $ bill will come in the mail.

dianaiad

Why does the sign 'ten items or less' in the supermarket drive me nuts?
Why do people who use the 'f' word as the universal adjective think that qualifies them as stand up comics?
What is the question to which '42' is the answer?
I'm about seventy. How old can I get before what I die of becomes 'old age?'
.............I'm sure I can think of others, but it's early. My inner curmudgeon isn't awake yet.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Biggest mystery for my life, personally? What the tomorrows hold and how the journey will unfold. Knowing it all in advance would ruin the journey, much like how knowing the entire plot of a good movie spoils the enjoyment of it.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Lives can have a lot of mysteries to them. What sort of mysteries are you looking for, GA?

I suppose I should have stayed awake rather than go to sleep after posting the question - just in case anyone wanted further info or whatever.

Thanks to those who replied ...

I am more interested in questions than answers and I am more interested in healthy beliefs than un-healthy ones.

May not be many people with a mind like mine - that may be a very good thing for the smoooth running of this society.

That's rather long-winded I will admit - I got enough sleep so I can't blame sleep deprivation for my rambling ...

Basically I wanted to know what questions people ask themselves when they are feeling reflective - maybe not too many people engaging in the kind of reflecting I do - again that may be 4 the best as far as society is concerned :)

Anyway. thanks for the replies - not totally sure what I was expecting really - I figured it was worth asking ...

I have a fair start on my own - may post some of it when I get around to editing it properly.

Thanks again.

:)

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Thanks again people - here is one that I ask myself often - what makes some people conform while others would never conform at any price?

Is it a choice or does survival instinct drive most people to conform?

Obviously if everyone was a non-conformist society would be even more problematic than it is ...

Am I making any sense here?

Blame it on sleep-deprivation ...

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Why do people buy Celine Dion albums?

I can answer that one!

It is all in the eye-of-the-beholder.

Personal tastes vary from person to person - so try not to judge anyone whose tastes may vary from yours - this would be a boring old world if we all liked the same things

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Why does the sign 'ten items or less' in the supermarket drive me nuts?
Why do people who use the 'f' word as the universal adjective think that qualifies them as stand up comics?
What is the question to which '42' is the answer?
I'm about seventy. How old can I get before what I die of becomes 'old age?'
.............I'm sure I can think of others, but it's early. My inner curmudgeon isn't awake yet.

Can you check out a dozen eggs at the 10 items or less checkout?

Is the f word user aware of the dunning kruger effect?

42 is the answer to the ultimate question, what is the penultimate question?

To ease your mind, no one dies of old age.

Altfish

Veteran Member
I can answer that one!

It is all in the eye-of-the-beholder.

Personal tastes vary from person to person - so try not to judge anyone whose tastes may vary from yours - this would be a boring old world if we all liked the same things

Errr ... it was a joke; I wasn't judging anyone. Though you won't find many Celine Dion albums in my collection.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Errr ... it was a joke; I wasn't judging anyone. Though you won't find many Celine Dion albums in my collection.

That makes two of us - I didn't really think you were "judging" people n a bad way - humour is a personal thing. Sorry about the misunderstanding!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Can you check out a dozen eggs at the 10 items or less checkout?

Is the f word user aware of the dunning kruger effect?

42 is the answer to the ultimate question, what is the penultimate question?

To ease your mind, no one dies of old age.

You obviously have spent years contemplating the deepest mysteries of human existence.

That is what I was looking for - people's personal choice of "what is the ultimate question - apart from this one!"

All the best with your future contemplations!

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
You obviously have spent years contemplating the deepest mysteries of human existence.

That is what I was looking for - people's personal choice of "what is the ultimate question - apart from this one!"

All the best with your future contemplations!

42-ultimate-answer-to-life.jpg

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac

Loved the book.

I guess that would be MOST people's "big question" .... what is the meaning of life?

I used to believe that the universe was random & meaningless - especially human existence.

Then I just gradually changed my view - hard to pin-point exactly what events & experiences brought about the transfomation - I guess everyone's beliefs tend to be shaped by their experiences ...

Nowadays I just like to focus on the question how do I become (and stay!) as kind & compassionate as I can manage and let the "meaning" take care of itself.

All the best!