• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are we All Living Thoughts, Living in the Mind Which is God?

allfoak

Alchemist
Was the physicist James Jeans correct?

The Mysterious Universe (1930)

Today there is a wide measure of agreement, which on the physical side of science approaches almost to unanimity, that the stream of knowledge is heading towards a non-mechanical reality; the universe begins to look more like a great thought than like a great machine. Mind no longer appears as an accidental intruder into the realm of matter; we are beginning to suspect that we ought rather to hail it as a creator and governor of the realm of matter...
  • p. 137, 1937 ed.

Is this ancient text correct?

The Kybalion
CHAPTER II
THE SEVEN HERMETIC PRINCIPLES

1. The Principle of Mentalism

"THE ALL IS MIND; The Universe is Mental."--The Kybalion.

This Principle embodies the truth that "All is Mind.
" It explains that THE ALL (which is the Substantial Reality underlying all the outward manifestations and appearances which we know under the terms of "The Material Universe"; the "Phenomena of Life"; "Matter"; "Energy"; and, in short, all that is apparent to our material senses) is SPIRIT which in itself is UNKNOWABLE and UNDEFINABLE, but which may be considered and thought of as AN UNIVERSAL, INFINITE, LIVING MIND.

Is this correct?
Acts 17:24-28

24 “The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by human hands.
25 And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything. Rather, he himself gives everyone life and breath and everything else.
26 From one man he made all the nations, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he marked out their appointed times in history and the boundaries of their lands.
27 God did this so that they would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from any one of us.
28 ‘For in him we live and move and have our being. As some of your own poets have said, ‘We are his offspring.

Thoughts?

David T

Premium Member

Today there is a wide measure of agreement, which on the physical side of science approaches almost to unanimity, that the stream of knowledge is heading towards a non-mechanical reality; the universe begins to look more like a great thought than like a great machine. Mind no longer appears as an accidental intruder into the realm of matter; we are beginning to suspect that we ought rather to hail it as a creator and governor of the realm of matter...
  • p. 137, 1937 ed.

The Kybalion
CHAPTER II

" It explains that THE ALL (which is the Substantial Reality underlying all the outward manifestations and appearances which we know under the terms of "The Material Universe"; the "Phenomena of Life"; "Matter"; "Energy"; and, in short, all that is apparent to our material senses) is SPIRIT which in itself is UNKNOWABLE and UNDEFINABLE, but which may be considered and thought of as AN UNIVERSAL, INFINITE, LIVING MIND.

Is this correct?

24 “The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by human hands.
25 And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything. Rather, he himself gives everyone life and breath and everything else.
26 From one man he made all the nations, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he marked out their appointed times in history and the boundaries of their lands.
27 God did this so that they would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from any one of us.
28 ‘For in him we live and move and have our being. As some of your own poets have said, ‘We are his offspring.

Thoughts?
The priblem with that is the phd dimwit is the closet to god. The human mind as being fundendemental is mental. There are no laws of physics. Math is a tool, language is a dandy and logos absolutely is not mind. 1 second in nature reveals that. It appears that second is rare.

WalterTrull

Godfella
Oh yeah! The universe is mental. The trick is to learn how to walk in it. (Not doing awfully well so far myself. Nevertheless...)

74x12

• p. 137, 1937 ed.

The Kybalion
CHAPTER II

Is this correct?

Thoughts?
I agree we are living thoughts in the mind of God to some degree. However the Bible also speaks of how we're established by His Word. So He spoke and we stood firm in existence. So we originated as His thought yes, but are existing because His Word. Essentially, God called for things to exist from nothing but they come from His mind first. I think that's important to understand because in my opinion it's like a computer program which has a source code. The Word of God which upholds all things might be correctly likened unto a "source code". Although surely beyond any source code we know of.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

• p. 137, 1937 ed.

The Kybalion
CHAPTER II

Is this correct?

Thoughts?

The problem is that 95% of the mind is unknowable. So yes, our "universe" is interfaced to us through that 95%. You can fill that gap of knowingness with whatever explanation takes your fancy.

Ignorance is bliss in that you can happily believe as you wish. No one can rationally prove you wrong based on a lack of knowledge.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Don't know. If it is it is a very wonderful, fantastic, painful, interesting, dynamic dream. Nothing like I ever had asleep.

I've actually had a dream before that was so like my actually life, I could not tell whether I was dreaming or not.

I tried pinching myself, in the dream, but it hurt. I thought about jumping off a building or running in front of a car to test the theory but thought, what if I was wrong.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Oh yeah! The universe is mental. The trick is to learn how to walk in it. (Not doing awfully well so far myself. Nevertheless...)
1*YgVdmhaILvmMoTmbcwNXtA.gif

I think this would be great for heavy folks like myself. Just have a picture of a Big Mac floating away through the streets to chase after.

Bartholomew

Yes, God Created all Things.

God's Word States:

“You are worthy, Jehovah our God, to receive the glory and the honor and the power, because you created all things, and because of your will they came into existence and were created.”

Revelation 4:11 NWT

Last edited:

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
I think there is a very passive, vague consciousness in the universe. I don't think it has a self, as we think self. Neither does it act, as we think act. Yet this is true.

As a Buddhist, I believe the Cosmic Buddha is such a thing. Vairocana, Amida, and goes by other names.

The universe is often tied with and seen as part of the true Buddha body, or real Dharma expression- the Dharmakaya.

My personal opinion is that this is also what Hindus call Brahman, and Taoists call it the Tao. Chinese Buddhists have traditionally agreed with the latter- that the Tao is the Dharmakaya.

Laozi is a venerable sage with his own heaven in many works that depict Chinese Buddhist cosmology- like Journey to the West. The epic about Son Goku.

I hold a Buddha to reflect this reality as clearly as can possibly be grasped in any projection.

Last edited:

allfoak

Alchemist
I think there is a very passive, vague consciousness in the universe. I don't think it has a self, as we think self. Neither does it act, as we think act. Yet this is true.

As a Buddhist, I believe the Cosmic Buddha is such a thing. Vairocana, Amida, and goes by other names.

The universe is often tied with and seen as part of the true Buddha body, or real Dharma expression- the Dharmakaya.

My personal opinion is that this is also what Hindus call Brahman, and Taoists call it the Tao. Chinese Buddhists have agreed with the latter- that the Tao is the Dharmakaya.

I hold a Buddha to reflect this reality as clearly as can possibly be grasped in any projection.
Within the Hermetic tradition this "Cosmic Buddha" is called the "All" and is commonly referred to as "Spirit".
Using the law of correspondence (as above so below), we look at our own mind and see that our mind must first conceive of something (have a thought) before we can manifest what we desire.
Knowing this we can be certain that this is how all things came into being.
All things are thoughts that are mathematically interpreted by us as being solid 3D objects.

Since nothing can be separate from the All, everything that has come into existence apart from us must exist as a thought within this "Mind", "Spirit", "Cosmic Buddha", "The All", etc....
Since it is also true that the All must be in all, then we can be certain that the All is within us.
I think this may be what we call conscience.
It is a proxy connection to God through our Soul, a spark of the Divine.