• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are we all complicit?

sugnim

As I have watched the news develop along the US-Mexico border, I wonder: Am I complicit in the horrid treatment of the people detained and separated from their families?

Jesus said that we should see him in those who are imprisoned; that we should see him in those who are sick; that we should see him in those who are hungry and thirsty; that we should see him in strangers. More importantly, he said we should visit those who are in prison, we should care for those who are sick, we should feed those who are hungry and give water to those who are thirsty, and we should invite in the stranger. Matthew 25:34-46.

How does reading the news about the treatment of immigrants and asylum seekers along the US-Mexican border affect your religious beliefs?

Mine are shaken. I see myself as a failure. I sit in my comfortable home, reading of these atrocities, and I am neither feeding, visiting, caring for, nor welcoming anyone. I haven't resigned my possessions to follow Jesus' teachings. I would be a hypocrite to call myself a Christian today.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
As I have watched the news develop along the US-Mexico border, I wonder: Am I complicit in the horrid treatment of the people detained and separated from their families?

Jesus said that we should see him in those who are imprisoned; that we should see him in those who are sick; that we should see him in those who are hungry and thirsty; that we should see him in strangers. More importantly, he said we should visit those who are in prison, we should care for those who are sick, we should feed those who are hungry and give water to those who are thirsty, and we should invite in the stranger. Matthew 25:34-46.

How does reading the news about the treatment of immigrants and asylum seekers along the US-Mexican border affect your religious beliefs?

Mine are shaken. I see myself as a failure. I sit in my comfortable home, reading of these atrocities, and I am neither feeding, visiting, caring for, nor welcoming anyone. I haven't resigned my possessions to follow Jesus' teachings. I would be a hypocrite to call myself a Christian today.
You might only be able to help a tiny bit, but what little you do it still counts. Its a mistake to withhold that tiny bit that you can do thinking its too small to matter. It does matter.

Good-Ole-Rebel

It doesn't affect my Christian faith at all. I believe you are misapplying (Matt.25:34-46). It speaks to the end of the Tribulation when Christ returns. (25:31) The judgement is of Gentile nations. (25:32) The basis of the judgement is how the Jews, Christ's brethren, were treated by them. (25:40)

The principle is true, that we Christians love and give and help our neighbor. So we identify with a Christian fellowship. And from that fellowship we seek to do these things. In other words we bloom where we are planted.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Last edited: