• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are there two God's words?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The Bible says the son of God is God's Word but many people say the Bible is God 's word.
Are they both God's word?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
The Bible says the son of God is God's Word but many people say the Bible is God 's word.
Are they both God's word?

From how I understand it is:

The Bible speaks about the Word (Christ/Messanger) and the Word speaks about God (Source/The Message itself).

The Bible isn't the Word. It's about the Word and the Word is about the Father.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
From how I understand it is:

The Bible speaks about the Word (Christ/Messanger) and the Word speaks about God (Source/The Message itself).

The Bible isn't the Word. It's about the Word and the Word is about the Father.
I would be more specific and say the Word if FROM the Father.

Rise

There is one Word of God.
Jesus is God's Word embodied in human form (John 1:14, Colossians 2:9).

Every word that God speaks represents something of his will, his intention, his heart, and his truth. Jesus is the perfect representation of God to us in this way.

I should also point out that in the Aramiac targums of the Bible (Jewish paraphrase and commentaries of the Bible), they often refer to God himself as "the Word of God". Such as when they refer to the "Angel of the Lord" (which is known by them to be God himself) as "The Word". This actually makes a lot more sense to us then why John would use this terminology of "The Word". It is a concept the 1st century Jews would have already been familiar with.

The Bible is a record of God's Word as given to us through the prophets and apostles. Nothing in there goes against what Jesus reveals to us as the Word made flesh. Nothing in either Jesus or the Bible goes against God's word as it existed before creation and will eternally exist (Matthew 24:35) because they are all the same Word of God revealed in different ways to us.

Jesus refers to scripture as the Word of God: Mark 7:13

The Word God reveals to us is always true and representative of God, needing no editing or changing. The Word of God as spoken to Abraham is still the Word of God today.
The Jesus we read about in Jerusalem is still the same Jesus alive today in Heaven seated at the right hand of the Father.
God doesn't change, and neither does his Word.

So in the sense that the Bible is an accurate record of God's Word to us it is accurate to call it the Word of God; because it will never stop being God's Word.
However, it would be wrong to conclude that there is more than one of God's Word simply because it is revealed and made manifest to us in different ways.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There is one word of God.
Jesus is God's word embodied in human form (John 1:14, Colossians 2:9).

Every word that God speaks represents something of his will, his intention, his heart, and his truth. Jesus is the perfect representation of God to us in this way.

The Bible is a record of God's Word as given to us through the prophets and apostles. Nothing in there goes against what Jesus reveals to us as the Word made flesh. Nothing in either Jesus or the Bible goes against God's word as it existed before creation and will eternally exist (Matthew 24:35) because they are all the same Word of God revealed in different ways to us.

Jesus refers to scripture as the word of God: Mark 7:13

The Word God reveals to us is always true and representative of God, needing no editing or changing. The Word of God as spoken to Abraham is still the Word of God today.
The Jesus we read about in Jerusalem is still the same Jesus alive today in Heaven seated at the right hand of the Father.
God doesn't change, and neither does his word.

So in the sense that the Bible is an accurate record of God's Word to us it is accurate to call it the Word of God; because it will never stop being God's Word.
However, that is not to be confused with thinking that there is more than one of God's Word because it is revealed and made manifest to us in different ways.
Tell me how you know Mark 7:13 is about the written word.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
@Rise Jesus Christ is the power of God. Traditions weigh a person down and they cling to them thus they will never be free. Mark 7:13 means they annul Jesus Christ. The Bible which contains must wisdom can not be annulled. But Mark 7:13 says they annul the word of God. Every word of God?

Rise

Tell me how you know Mark 7:13 is about the written word.

Open up Mark 7 and look at the context. Jesus is telling them that they violate the commandments of God by following the traditions of men, and specifically uses an example from one of the ten commandments - which is found in scripture.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Open up Mark 7 and look at the context. Jesus is telling them that they violate the commandments of God by following the traditions of men, and specifically uses an example from one of the ten commandments - which is found in scripture.
So if I put something good in something which is not good that which is not good becomes good according to you?

What I mean is the ten commandments are found in the book so according to you that makes the whole book the same as the ten commandments. True?

Tumah

Veteran Member
Is the Bible as is G-d's Word, according to you? THEY say God will not let it be changed. But it has been changed. Can you explain this?
You've left out enough information in your response as to make it difficult to parse what you're trying to ask me. So I'm just going to pretend I know and answer accordingly.

The Bible as it is, is G-d's Word. Only some people have added extra books to the Bible. That's where the problem starts. The Bible itself hasn't changed, only some people's perception of what constitutes the Bible.

Rise

@Rise Can God command you something that is NOT found in the bible?

Mark 7 shows us that Jesus is talking about a commandment clearly found in the Bible (One of the 10 commandments, to be exact).
So Jesus does refer to the contents of scripture as God's Word, which answers your original question.

Whether or not God can command you something not found in the Bible is irrelevent to whether or not the Bible is God's Word.

Having said that, I can go on to answer your question anyway: God can command you specifically to do something that the Bible doesn't already tell you (such as telling you to go to a specific place, do a specific task, etc), but what He commands you to do will never violate what He has already revealed in His Word. God does not contradict Himself.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You've left out enough information in your response as to make it difficult to parse what you're trying to ask me. So I'm just going to pretend I know and answer accordingly.

The Bible as it is, is G-d's Word. Only some people have added extra books to the Bible. That's where the problem starts. The Bible itself hasn't changed, only some people's perception of what constitutes the Bible.
Is what we have what was written originally? All of it? Every word, according to you, is what the men wrote and communicated accurately. True?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Mark 7 shows us that Jesus is talking about a commandment clearly found in the Bible (One of the 10 commandments, to be exact).
So Jesus does refer to the contents of scripture as God's Word, which answers your original question.
SOME contents of scripture is God's word. I believe that. But you believe because some of it is God's word then all of it is God's word. I am asking you to give me convincing evidence of it.

Whether or not God can command you something not found in the Bible is irrelevent to whether or not the Bible is God's Word.
OK. I can't complain.

Having said that, I can go on to answer your question anyway: God can command you specifically to do something that the Bible doesn't already tell you (such as telling you to go to a specific place, do a specific task, etc), but what he commands you to do will never violate what He has already revealed in His Word. God does not contradict Himself.
I believe this statement is true.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Is what we have what was written originally? All of it? Every word, according to you, is what the men wrote and communicated accurately. True?
Definitely the Pentatuech. The rest doesn't matter as much, but its definitely accurate enough.