• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are There Seventh Day Adventists On The Forum?

I am not but my paternal grand parents were and served as missionaries in Haiti where my father and his two brothers were born. My father did not follow that religion and has long passed on. I would like to know more about my grand parents service in Haiti but no one is still alive that would know.

shmogie

I am not but my paternal grand parents were and served as missionaries in Haiti where my father and his two brothers were born. My father did not follow that religion and has long passed on. I would like to know more about my grand parents service in Haiti but no one is still alive that would know.
I am sure that the General Conference of Seventh Day Adventists can help you find the information you want. They are in Silver Springs Maryland.

Terry Sampson

@Alonzo Tanner

Yeah, there's at least one SDA who shows up now and then, of late: 'bout as lovable as a grumpy porcupine.
My mother's maternal grandmother and great-grandparents were SDAs, ... and I've got distant cousins who began as SDAs when they were and have become devout SDAs in their old age. I can check around for you, if you're interested.

Or you can mosey down the Religous Forums tree and into the SDA DIR and ask around yourself.
Here's how you get there:

First click on the word "Forums" in the horizontal menu up above. Go down the list , past "Introductions" and "Religious Topics", until you get to "Discuss Individual Religions". There, click on "Christianity DIR". The page will change and you'll see sub-forums under three different headings:
  • Christianity in General DIR"
  • Christian Theology DIR", and
  • Christian Denominations DIR"
Under that last one, Christian Denominations DIR, you'll see "Restorationists DIR", left-hand column, bottom. Click on that.and you;ll see "Seventh Day Adventists DIR" hanging out near the Church of Christ and the Latter-Day Saints. [I still have figured out why the Jehovah's Witnesses aren't there too, but that's a question for another day.] Go into the SDA DIR, and post a thread with your question.

Screenshot_2019-09-04 Question for Most Christians God being Spaceless, and Immaterial.png
Screenshot_2019-09-04 Forums.png
Screenshot_2019-09-04 Christianity DIR(1).png

@Alonzo Tanner

Yeah, there's at least one SDA who shows up now and then, of late: 'bout as lovable as a grumpy porcupine.
My mother's maternal grandmother and great-grandparents were SDAs, ... and I've got distant cousins who began as SDAs when they were and have become devout SDAs in their old age. I can check around for you, if you're interested.

Or you can mosey down the Religous Forums tree and into the SDA DIR and ask around yourself.
Here's how you get there:

First click on the word "Forums" in the horizontal menu up above. Go down the list , past "Introductions" and "Religious Topics", until you get to "Discuss Individual Religions". There, click on "Christianity DIR". The page will change and you'll see sub-forums under three different headings:
  • Christianity in General DIR"
  • Christian Theology DIR", and
  • Christian Denominations DIR"
Under that last one, Christian Denominations DIR, you'll see "Restorationists DIR", left-hand column, bottom. Click on that.and you;ll see "Seventh Day Adventists DIR" hanging out near the Church of Christ and the Latter-Day Saints. [I still have figured out why the Jehovah's Witnesses aren't there too, but that's a question for another day.] Go into the SDA DIR, and post a thread with your question.

View attachment 32622 View attachment 32623 View attachment 32624

Maybe it's because I'm a Atheist, but I can't find anything per others detailed instructions. The whole Web Site is not User Friendly. ANY WAY--Another question----All my SDA rellies were Vegetarians. Is that typical for SDA adherents?

Terry Sampson

All my SDA rellies were Vegetarians. Is that typical for SDA adherents?

I don't know whether my mother's ancestors were vegetarian or not. Definitely no tea, coffee, or liquor. As for my distant cousins, I think they were heavy on the vegetables, but ate some meats; definitely not pork. My cousin's parents were Baptists and lived with him and his family. His mother told me privately that my cousin had not always been an SDA, and she would fry up some bacon from time to time for her own pleasure and amuse herself over her son's challenging resistance.

Terry Sampson

Whoa!!! You're lucky. Your paternal ancestor, John Tanner (1778-1850) was a well-known, early Mormon pioneer. One of his grandsons wrote a book. I posted a copy of the book on my google Drive account: You can download it from descendantsofjohntanner.pdf

Terry Sampson

Look on Page 119. Jesse Rambo Tanner, William Albert Tanner, and Jay Alonzo Tanner, sons of William Jay Tanner and Ella Elizabeth Elwanger. The boys were all born in Haiti.

Terry Sampson

Joshua and Thankful (Tefft) Tanner > John and Lydia (Stewart) Tanner > William Stewart and Julia Anne (Greene) Tanner > William Greene and Harriet (Rambo) Tanner > William Jay and Ella E (Elwanger) Tanner > Jay Alonzo and Sue Delia (Hornbuckle) Tanner

John was among the first Mormons in Kirkland Ohio and moved to Salt Lake City, Utah. Biography begins on page 12. Bet you're kin to every Mormon Tanner west of the Mississippi.

Crosstian

Baring the Cross
Yep. I am so one. :) Malo!

Crosstian

Baring the Cross
Maybe it's because I'm a Atheist, but I can't find anything per others detailed instructions. The whole Web Site is not User Friendly. ANY WAY--Another question----All my SDA rellies were Vegetarians. Is that typical for SDA adherents?
For those who follow Jesus, scripture (KJB) and the SoP/ToJ (Spirit of Prophecy/Testimony of Jesus) it is. You can see something of that here:

See playlist

Hope that was helpful in answering your questions. Anything further, might be better to PM me, or to ask in an open forum. This place is more for greeting than other things. So, Malo lava.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Greetings!
I'm catching up with all the new posters' threads I missed.
Join us for the free (staff paid for) breakfast....
th