• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are there other religions that have a Job like story regarding suffering

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
There's the Ludlul Bel Nemeqi, or 'Babylonian Job'. I know not much about it though.

arthra

Baha'i
In the Baha'i Writings Abdul-Baha the eldest Son of Baha'u'llah describes the suffering of Job and comments on the meaning of the Bible verse:

As to the statement of Job, chapter 19, verses 25-27, 'I know that my Redeemer liveth, and that He shall stand at the latter day upon the earth,' the meaning here is:

I shall not be abased, I have a Sustainer and a Guardian, and my Helper, my Defender will in the end be made manifest. And although now my flesh be weak and clothed with worms, yet shall I be healed, and with these mine own eyes, that is, mine inner sight, I shall behold Him. This did Job say after they had reproached him, and he himself had lamented the harms that his tribulations had wreaked upon him. And even when, from the terrible inroads of the sickness, his body was covered with worms, he sought to tell those about him that still he would be fully healed, and that in his very body, with his very eyes, he would gaze on his Redeemer.

~ Abdu'l-Baha, Selections from the Writings of Abdu'l-Baha, p. 171

whirlingmerc

and in those does the story point to 'a greater Job' or are they an end in themselves

For example, in Job, God calls Job my servant in the start and a bunch of times at the end and in the darkest time of Job's suffering Job offers sacrifice for sinners and is raised up which is points forward to the Christ Epic where Jesus atones for sins and is raised

Any religions like that?