• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are there or can there be other beings?

Rex

Founder
What do you think? Billions of other planets and millions of other galaxies, could there be other beings out there? Have you seen one?

Runt

Do I think there are other biological beings out there, on other planets? Definitely... there are so many other stars, and some of them MUST have planets able to support life...and life may very well have developed on those planets.

Do I believe these biological organisms are sentient? I think there is the possibility, but I think the possibility is less than the possibility of simpler biological organism.

Are other beings out there on other planets that may NOT be quite biological? I think there may be... if science is right and the way life began on our planet really did result from the random colliding of molecules... imagine what other potential "beginnings" there could be for other forms of "life" out there... life that is NOT "biological" in the way we define it (perhaps silicon based life instead of carbon?)

Do I think there may be beings on our planet other than those that are biological? Yes... but, having not seen evidence of purely physical beings that are not biological (meaning made of of atoms and such but not carbon-based), I would guess that these beings are not made of matter so much as energy, and may dwell on a different plane of reality than us (and interact with us when we are in the right state of mind: dreaming, in alpha, meditating, on drugs, or simply "paying attention")

My beliefs in the likelihood of the existence of "other beings" in order (highest to lowest):

1. Spirits and other sentient non-physical beings on our planet
2. Other planets that can support life
3. Spirits and other sentient non-physical beings on other planets
4. Other planets that support BIOLOGICAL or NON-BIOLOGICAL (non-carbon-based) life
5. Other planets that support SENTIENT biological or non-biological life

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Why not... its a big univerce....
I wouldn't be surpised if we found other life in our own system... Europa is a great candidate...
lots of protected liquid water and geo-thermal activity...

heck, I've even heard good recent theories on life in the clouds of Venus...

wa:-do

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Never seen one myself, but I definitely believe in the possibility and the very good probability that life other than what we know exists. To quote one of my fave movies, "I'd say if it is just us... seems like an awful waste of space."

anders

The Universe is huge, so why not?

New forms of life are still being found on Earth, like bacteria living in extreme environments, using iron as their energy source. Life on other planets might be silicon based or of entirely other make-ups. There could even be forms of "life" based on force fields or other kinds of waveforms. Just think how difficult it is to characterise electrons or photons as matter or waveforms...

Lightkeeper

Yes, I definitely believe there is life elsewhere in the Universe. They may not be like us. They could even be more evolved. For those who believe in reincarntion, did you ever think you could be reborn elsewhere in the universe?

Runt

For those who believe in reincarntion, did you ever think you could be reborn elsewhere in the universe?

Definitely. I think we might even be able to "remember" these lives... but because our mind and perception is human, we can only remember in human terms. Perhaps these "past lives" are touched upon every once in a while in dreams, where details of the lives are revealed in symbols that allow us to get a little out of our "memory", but not everything.

Master Vigil

Being a taoist, I would say that the idea of earth being the only planet with life is absurd. The Tao is everywhere, and its affects are everywhere. The Tao is life, and Chi is life, and since the Tao and Chi flow everywhere, life could and should be anywhere.

w00t

I find it very hard to believe that we are the only life forms in the whole of the vast universe.

Death

I don't see why not, several ages of stars have come and gone before our star came about, I don't think it's unlikely at all there's some life out there, sentient life seemed to be an extremely useful mutation on earth, so i suspect there will be sentient, and possibly even intelligent life elsewhere.

I sincerely doubt there are any that visit Earth, since interstellar distance travel would have all sorts of ridiculous problems.

Runt said:
Are other beings out there on other planets that may NOT be quite biological? I think there may be... if science is right and the way life began on our planet really did result from the random colliding of molecules...

That's a gross over simplification.

imagine what other potential "beginnings" there could be for other forms of "life" out there... life that is NOT "biological" in the way we define it (perhaps silicon based life instead of carbon?)

Silicates and organic chemistry can have theoretical base-pairing systems, so it's possible.

I would guess that these beings are not made of matter so much as energy, and may dwell on a different plane of reality than us (and interact with us when we are in the right state of mind: dreaming, in alpha, meditating, on drugs, or simply "paying attention")

Any justification for this? The logic does not seem to follow.

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
I think it would be extremely arrogant for us to assume that we are the only intelligent beings in the universe...it's a very big place lol.

LilChrist

Wouldn't God have told us in the Bible, which is God-breathed, whether there is other life(assuming the referrence here is to life simular or the same as humanity) or not on other plantes? But then, I guess other life is kind of like Santa...many believe it, many detest it, yet, even though it's ridiculous, it can't really be proven. I've seen enormous evidence against it, and little for it, and I've seen the same with other beings. Well, as a conclusion to my little comment, I say, seek God, and if you really need to know, He'll tell you.

Runt

LilChrist--

I have to admit, that was one of the funniest posts I've read in a while. You condemn those who believe there may be other life by saying that it is ridiculous to believe this because there is no proof... right after citing the Bible (which has no proof of being from God, has no proof of the existance of God, and has no proof of being a valid authority on the unknown) as "evidence" of your views because within it "God" does not describe other life.

Now, lets use some logic here. Look at the sky. Look how many stars there are. Now consider the fact that the one closest to us actually has planets around it. Perhaps not planets that can support life, but planets nevertheless. Consider how many other stars have a similar thing. How many of them might have planets? Planets that can support life? Life?

Now I'll pretend that your Bible is a valid authority. Look at the lines "God created the heavens and the earth." Hmm... heavenS (plural) and earth (singular)... it only mentions one planet... nowhere does it describe other earths (planets). Using your logic, no other planets could exist because they are not mentioned in the Bible. Yet we have PROVEN that there are other planets... there are others in our solar system, there are planets around our nearest neighboring star... how many other things did the Bible omit that still might exist? How about other life?

LilChrist

First of all, relating to evidence abot the Bible being from God...isn't it interesting that everything God says is in the Bible? The Bible omitted nothing. In the beginning, God created the heaven and the earth. (Genesis 1:1) Heavens include other planets, stars, etc. In the Hebrew, that word (which is actually heaven) is shamayim shamed:
The second form of being dual of an unused singular; from an unused root meaning to be lofty; the sky(as aloft; the dual perhaps alluding the visible arch in which clouds move, as well as to higher ether where the celestial bodies revolve):-air, X astrologer, heaven.
The Bible is reliable.

LilChrist said:
First of all, relating to evidence abot the Bible being from God...isn't it interesting that everything God says is in the Bible? The Bible omitted nothing. In the beginning, God created the heaven and the earth. (Genesis 1:1) Heavens include other planets, stars, etc. In the Hebrew, that word (which is actually heaven) is shamayim shamed:
The second form of being dual of an unused singular; from an unused root meaning to be lofty; the sky(as aloft; the dual perhaps alluding the visible arch in which clouds move, as well as to higher ether where the celestial bodies revolve):-air, X astrologer, heaven.
The Bible is reliable.

LilChrist.. darlin.. now I'm in my 12th year of Catholic schooling. So I'm pretty well versed in Bible interpretation. I am hoping to God that you know that much of it, like the creation story, is not meant literally. you may want to try thinking for yourself and not just quoting the bible. I see where your coming from with the whole seek God and He'll let you know. But what if he does not want us to know? There could be things in this universe we cannot possibly imagine because our mind does not have ht capability to comprehend them. It's like trying to understand time, or how everything came to be. We mostly likely haven't found an answer because we can't understand. There could be beings that are completely unlike us in that they share no similar qualities. Made of something other than matter. Just because we can't comprehend it, and because God has yet to fill us in, doesn't mean it does not exist.

Runt

LilChrist--

How do you know that God ever said anything that is contained in the Bible? As far I understand it, the Bible has been written gradually over time by several mortals, not one god. Meaning God may never have said anything in the Bible and the writers of the Bible may merely have claimed that He did. Yet if you believe that God exists and that the Bible was written by God because the Bible SAYS it was written by God... well, then you have a bit of a dilemna. In order for this to even possibly be true, two things must stand as undenyable fact: God must exist. The Bible must be true. If either one of these two premises is proved false (and neither, I remind you, has ever been proved true), then they automatically invalidate one another. Now, many things in the Bible have been proven to be false (such as the age of the Earth as determined by the timeline of events covered in the Bible). Many liberal Christians have made up for this by claiming that the Bible was written figuratively rather than literally. Yet even here we have a problem. If the Bible was written figuratively, then ANYTHING within it can be metaphor instead of reality. Including any accepted "truths" about God, Satan, Heaven, Hell, Jesus, and anything else contained within those pages.

So, with this in mind, I hardly find the Bible a good authority on whether or not there are other planets or other life out there. It didn't even bother to tell early Europeans that there are a whole other two continants on THIS planet filled with intellegent human beings (North and South America)... so how could it possibly be an authority on whether or not there is life on OTHER planets?

(Q)

The Bible omitted nothing… The Bible is reliable.

… and the Earth is only 6000 years old and dinosaurs never existed, right?

Maize and Rex-- I loved Contact!!

Painted wolf-- yes I've heard about the possibility of life in the oceans of Europa also...but tell me more about life forms living in the clouds of Venus! That would be really bizarre.