• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are there no other artists in this entire forum?

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
Aaw man. I use acrylics. I tried oil but it got too messy and hard to clean the brushes well. Im not a pro. Im mostly a writer. Ive wrote poetry most my life, essays, now working on stories. I think it takes about a day for oil paints to successfully dry. But then wet and dry canvas could probably make a difference too.
Really depends on what you add to the paint. Oil takes a minimum of 3 months to cure completely.

Skwim

Veteran Member

upload_2018-8-14_20-34-51.jpeg

Something I did quite a few years ago​

Skwim

Veteran Member
Pastels. Drying time: Zero.

Q. Why oils instead of acrylics?

Last edited:

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
The color is more vibrant and rich.

Drying time is long, but you also have time to work with the paint unlike acrylic. With acrylic I feel I have about 30 minutes or less to work in the area I am working, in oil I have a couple days. I am allowed to think about what I want to do.

There isn't as drastic a shift in tone when oil dries as opposed to acrylic.

I like the behavior of oil with a brush and knife compared to oil.

Since oil is generally more viscous you can get more texture out of it and not have to add anything to it that would drastically affect the color of the pigment. Nor will you mess up your brushes adding things like glue and sand to acrylic to bolster its volume and texture.

Oil is more efficient a pigment than acrylic, it travels much further.

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
Ah but pastels require a sealing agent, hairspray does the trick most of the time, but pastels do not stick so well to the surface of more coarse papers or linen. Then again most mediums should be sealed to stay the cruel hand of time and the environment. Oil in particular is more susceptible to mold damage than any other medium and it is important to treat your canvases prior to painting on them as well as varnishing them whence your oil has cured on the canvas.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Ah but pastels require a sealing agent, hairspray does the trick most of the time, but pastels do not stick so well to the surface of more coarse papers or linen.
There is no good sealing agent. Period. All of them compromise the work in some way. And, of course, one has to use the appropriate surface. What is required is that they be kept under glass.