• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are there Nichiren Buddhists on RF?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I was wondering if there are Nichiren Buddhist (regardless the sect) on RF. We are mehayana but sometimes its nice to bounce things with people of like minds.

Nam.
:leafwind:

Straw Dog

Hello Carlita!

I haven't seen any on here. I'm not very familiar with Nichiren Buddhism, but learning a little lately and would love to talk more about it. From what I understand, it focuses heavily on the Lotus Sutra (chanting and reciting) and it also considers other tentative forms of Buddhism to deviate from the original teachings. Is this your understanding as well? How else does it differ from other forms?

I used to know a Nichiren Shu priest, so I know a little about it. The Nichiren sects focus on the Lotus Sutra, as you said. The Nichiren Shu think that the Lotus Sutra is the highest teaching in Buddhism and they probably think that what they are doing is more advanced than what other Buddhist sects are doing. From what I understand, the Nichiren Shu is more like traditional Buddhism than Nichiren Shoshu. I don't know what the Nichiren Shoshu think.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Hello Carlita!

I haven't seen any on here. I'm not very familiar with Nichiren Buddhism, but learning a little lately and would love to talk more about it. From what I understand, it focuses heavily on the Lotus Sutra (chanting and reciting) and it also considers other tentative forms of Buddhism to deviate from the original teachings. Is this your understanding as well? How else does it differ from other forms?

I never get any alerts to threads I posted. If you'd still curious of your questions, let me know :)

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
Thank you. I see you are part of the second one. How you like the forum? I have to take a better look see little latere.

Yes, it's a friendly and easy-going environment, pan-Buddhist so lots of different views. The first is more formal, the third is going through a transition period so pretty quiet at present.