• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are There Any Religious Ascetics On These Forums?

Elihoenai

I have done away with any Earthly Things that I do not need to live, but that is not what has caused my suffering. I have suffered all my life through no fault of my own. I have only had brief respites here and there.

I still do not see the need for punishment, but maybe that is because my whole life has been suffering so i don't need any additional punishment and I don't believe a just and loving God would ever want to see me inflict it on myself.

You are not telling us what this suffering is. Is it illness? You don't have to go into detail. Every person has to do the requirements that Elohim/God demands for Transformation.

I cannot speak for other people but if they had to deny their sexual desires then that would be punishment enough, since that is what most people value. We both know that is not going to happen, I am just speaking hypothetically.

2 Timothy 3:12

12 Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.

Yes, it is evident that the Sex Act is Universally Highly Valued. The area where I live is a Marquis de Sade Stronghold area with all kinds Perversions being Practiced. Happy to say I'm on the receiving end of 24/7 Satanic Ritual Abuse.

Let's put our cards on the table. Asceticism is Abstaining from Sensual Pleasures which means means Abstaining from Sex. People cannot abstain form food and water, they have to eat and drink, but they do not have to have sex unless they are trying to have a child.

Oh, you don't think the Baha'i Law is strict enough. The Baha'i Law prohibits sex outside or marriage. Sex is allowed in marriage but that does not mean married people have to have sex, not unless they are trying to have children. How many Christians abide by such a Law?

1 Corinthians 7:1

7 Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman.

I'm Celibate like Yeshua Messiah/Jesus Christ, John the Baptist and Paul the Apostle. If you cannot do lifelong Celibacy, if you can bear to have Sex, it must be between mature married Man and Woman and for procreation purposes only. Very few Christians can do either.

Baha'u'llah, the Prophet Founder of the Baha'i Faith, who was an exile and prisoner for 40 years, wrote the following in His own pen:

“My captivity can bring on Me no shame. Nay, by My life, it conferreth on Me glory. That which can make Me ashamed is the conduct of such of My followers as profess to love Me, yet in fact follow the Evil One. They, indeed, are of the lost.

When the time set for this Revelation was fulfilled, and He Who is the Day Star of the world appeared in ‘Iráq, He bade His followers observe that which would sanctify them from all earthly defilements. Some preferred to follow the desires of a corrupt inclination, while others walked in the way of righteousness and truth, and were rightly guided.

Say: He is not to be numbered with the people of Bahá who followeth his mundane desires, or fixeth his heart on things of the earth. He is My true follower who, if he come to a valley of pure gold, will pass straight through it aloof as a cloud, and will neither turn back, nor pause. Such a man is, assuredly, of Me. From his garment the Concourse on high can inhale the fragrance of sanctity…. And if he met the fairest and most comely of women, he would not feel his heart seduced by the least shadow of desire for her beauty. Such an one, indeed, is the creation of spotless chastity. Thus instructeth you the Pen of the Ancient of Days, as bidden by your Lord, the Almighty, the All-Bountiful.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 117-118

What are you doing to rid yourself of Earthly Defilements?

Baha'is also believe that sin separates man from God. We ask for God's forgiveness i prayer.

Regarding sin, below are some excerpts from one of the obligatory prayers. The entire prayer can be read here: Long Obligatory Prayer

O God, my God! My back is bowed by the burden of my sins, and my heedlessness hath destroyed me. Whenever I ponder my evil doings and Thy benevolence, my heart melteth within me, and my blood boileth in my veins.

By Thy might! My trespasses have kept me back from drawing nigh unto Thee; and my sins have held me far from the court of Thy holiness. Thy love, O my Lord, hath enriched me, and separation from Thee hath destroyed me, and remoteness from Thee hath consumed me.
Repentance/Penance is a Pillar of the True Christian. Without Repentance/Penance there is no Forgiveness. Forgiveness is earned through Repentance/Penance.

What would be stricter than the Baha'i Laws? Abstinence from sex cannot be practiced by everyone because then there would be no children and families, and families are the bedrock of society.

The teachings of Yeshua Messiah/Jesus Christ and the Law of Moses in the Scriptures/Bible is much stricter than Baha'i Laws.

I do not believe that God has an Earthly Body. I believe that God is spirit, as the Bible says.

Do you believe that anything exists outside of Elohim/God?

Humans that are Enslaved to Sin have Free Will, they simply use their free will to choose to be Enslaved to Sin instead of choosing to be Servants of God.

People have a choice to do Good or Evil/Sin. The Natural Inclination is to Sin and it is the easier option to go with the Flow.

Last edited:

Elihoenai

When you Compensate for Lifelong Celibacy with other Fleshly Things it is not Real Celibacy.

A Roman Catholic Priest, that was formerly head of the Church that relative of mine attended had the habit of going on Pub Crawls.

Doubt (2008) - Dinner scene

Any Real Ascetics out there? Do you Self-Deny yourself any of the following?

1) Sex
2) Having children
3) Marriage
4) Eating meat
5) Drinking Alcohol
6) Smoking Cigarettes or Cigars
7) Going to Parties or Night clubs
8) Watching TV
9) Listening to music
10) Taking Drugs or Herbs

Last edited:

PearlSeeker

1) Sex
2) Having children
3) Marriage
4) Eating meat
5) Drinking Alcohol
8) Watching TV
9) Listening to music
Occasionally some of these.

See an example program.

Elihoenai

Occasionally some of these.

See an example program.

Mark 11:15-17

15 And they come to Jerusalem: and Jesus went into the temple, and began to cast out them that sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the moneychangers, and the seats of them that sold doves;

16 And would not suffer that any man should carry any vessel through the temple.

17 And he taught, saying unto them, Is it not written, My house shall be called of all nations the house of prayer? but ye have made it a den of thieves.

Do you really think that a program making money is Credible and Representative of Real Asceticism? Yeshua/Jesus didn't make any money from his Ministry. You shouldn't make any money from Spiritual Work. On the contrary, you must only Willingly Happily give to Charity.

Real Ascetism is not something that you do Occasionally. Real Ascetism is Continuous Totally Devoted Lifestyle for the purpose of Transformation.

Last edited:

PearlSeeker

Mark 11:15-17

15 And they come to Jerusalem: and Jesus went into the temple, and began to cast out them that sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the moneychangers, and the seats of them that sold doves;

16 And would not suffer that any man should carry any vessel through the temple.

17 And he taught, saying unto them, Is it not written, My house shall be called of all nations the house of prayer? but ye have made it a den of thieves.

Do you really think that a program making money is Credible and Representative of Real Asceticism? Yeshua/Jesus didn't make any money from his Ministry. You shouldn't make any money from Spiritual Work. On the contrary, you must only Willingly Happily give to Charity.

Real Ascetism is not something that you do Occasionally. Real Ascetism is Continuous Totally Devoted Lifestyle for the purpose of Transformation.
Yes, it's a lifestyle. With occasionally I meant that I do some of disciplines you listed but not all the year. There are some variations during the year...

There is also a saying "the laborer is deserving of his wages." There is much effort put in that program and it's high quality but I agree they shouldn't be so obsessed with selling things for money. That's not my cup of tea. Despite this it's the best program I've found so far.

Elihoenai

Yes, it's a lifestyle. With occasionally I meant that I do some of disciplines you listed but not all the year. There are some variations during the year...

There is also a saying "the laborer is deserving of his wages." There is much effort put in that program and it's high quality but I agree they shouldn't be so obsessed with selling things for money. That's not my cup of tea. Despite this it's the best program I've found so far.

Matthew 10:8

8 Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give.

That program leaves out the Primary Abstinence from Sex that I put top of the list. It's at top of the list for a reason. It's clearly evident that Universally people are obsessed with the Sex Act. Leaving it out of an Ascetic Program will make it relatively popular and it will sell if you do that sort of thing.

Yeshua Messiah/Jesus Christ worked as a Carpenter and Paul the Apostle as a Tentmaker. Those that follow Yehsua/Jesus providing Free Ministry for Charity are Morally Superior to those Charging for their Ministerial Work. Those Charging for Ministerial Work cannot be trusted. There is a Conflict of Interest.

Last edited:

PearlSeeker

That program leaves out the Primary Abstinence from Sex that I put top of the list. It's at top of the list for a reason. It's clearly evident that Universally people are obsessed with the Sex Act. Leaving it out of an Ascetic Program will make it relatively popular and it will sell if you do that sort of thing.
Do you think asceticism is only for non-married?

Yeshua Messiah/Jesus Christ worked as a Carpenter and Paul the Apostle as a Tentmaker. Those that follow Yehsua/Jesus providing Free Ministry for Charity are Morally Superior to those Charging for their Ministerial Work. Those Charging for Ministerial Work cannot be trusted. There is a Conflict of Interest.
It's non profit.

Why does Exodus 90 cost money?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Sorry I lost track of this conversation. My husband is very ill and might die, yet another thing to add to the list of my long suffering I told you about previously...

I cannot see how one could leave Abstinence from Sex out of an ascetic program.I fully agree that people are obsessed with sex, and it is a very sad commentary on human nature and what people live for. This is not what we were created for... We were not created to live for the things of this world.

John 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

John 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

1 John 2:16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

Die to Your Flesh and Live

Matthew 16:23 But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.

Those 'things' are the things of the flesh, which are not of God, but of the world. If Christians don't want to face that fact then they are going against what Jesus said.

My religion also has something to say about sex and desire.

"Would that ye had the power to perceive the things your Lord, the All-Merciful, doth see—things that attest the excellence of your rank, that bear witness to the greatness of your worth, that proclaim the sublimity of your station! God grant that your desires and unmortified passions may not hinder you from that which hath been ordained for you."
Gleanings, p. 317

"Suffer not the habitation wherein dwelleth My undying love for thee to be destroyed through the tyranny of covetous desires, and overcloud not the beauty of the heavenly Youth with the dust of self and passion. Clothe thyself with the essence of righteousness, and let thine heart be afraid of none except God." Gleanings, p. 323

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Galatians 6:17

17 From henceforth let no man trouble me: for I bear in my body the marks of the Lord Jesus.

Are there any Religious Ascetics on these forums? If yes, how do you practice Religious Asceticism? To what end do you practice Religious Ascetism? Is the intent to draw near to Elohim/God?

Here is the Roman Catholic Brand:

The Da Vinci Code (2/8) Movie CLIP - Silas (2006) HD

Ethan Hawke "First Reformed"
" Galatians 6:17 "

It is not from Jesus, therefore, it is not a reliable source of guidance for those who follow Yeshua- the Israelite Messiah, in the ethical, moral and or spiritual matters, I understand. Right?

Regards

Jedster

When you Compensate for Lifelong Celibacy with other Fleshly Things it is not Real Celibacy.

A Roman Catholic Priest, that was formerly head of the Church that relative of mine attended had the habit of going on Pub Crawls.

Doubt (2008) - Dinner scene

1) Sex
2) Having children
3) Marriage
4) Eating meat
5) Drinking Alcohol
8) Watching TV
9) Listening to music

Some years ago, when I was a strong Theist, I lived as a renunciate(for 8 years) in the religion I was in. All the above points, apart from 9, were forbidden.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Some years ago, when I was a strong Theist, I lived as a renunciate(for 8 years) in the religion I was in. All the above points, apart from 9, were forbidden.
What religion were you in and now what is your persuasion, if you don't mind my asking?
I lean towards asceticism but it is more like austerity, since I do not meet the requirements to be an ascetic.

Jedster

What religion were you in and now what is your persuasion, if you don't mind my asking?
I lean towards asceticism but it is more like austerity, since I do not meet the requirements to be an ascetic.

I was a follower of a Guru who I believed is the living incarnation of God/Supreme Truth/Lord of Lords etc. The belief was that God incarnates every generation and is always present on the Earth.
I chose the renunciate path as I wanted no distractions from The Lord and so, I dropped everything in my life to follow him in the most devoted way.
Simply put, it was basically a life of satsang, service, meditation & darshan(being in the physical presence of him). I felt exponential certitude.
I had no problems in giving up those things listed above as this path trumped them all. I was completely absorbed.
I won't go on too much, except to say I am now married and have a child.

I have no persuasion/religion now and have reverted to my early concept of God, which is not theistic.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I had no problems in giving up those things listed above as this path trumped them all. I was completely absorbed.
I won't go on too much, except to say I am now married and have a child.
Well, that is what can happen when a person has very strong beliefs. I am glad for you that you are now married and have a child. I am married but we never had any children, and my husband is very ill so I may soon be all alone.
I have no persuasion/religion now and have reverted to my early concept of God, which is not theistic.
So you believe in God but have no religion? I have a religion but I am not very religious.

Jedster

Well, that is what can happen when a person has very strong beliefs. I am glad for you that you are now married and have a child. I am married but we never had any children, and my husband is very ill so I may soon be all alone.

So you believe in God but have no religion? I have a religion but I am not very religious.

No, I don't believe in God.
I wrote
"I have no persuasion/religion now and have reverted to my early concept of God, which is not theistic." i.e. God is the primary substance of existence from which all things came. God has no thoughts and doesn't do anything.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
No, I don't believe in God.
I wrote
"I have no persuasion/religion now and have reverted to my early concept of God, which is not theistic." i.e. God is the primary substance of existence from which all things came. God has no thoughts and doesn't do anything.
That sounds kind of like deism. Deists believe God exists but He is not a personal God who interacts with His creation.

Technically I am a theist because I believe that God communicates to humans through Messengers. I believe that God has a mind, but not like human a human mind, and I am not sure God does anything except for sending Messengers. I am thus kind of a cross between what Abrahamic theists believe, that God is personal, and what deists believe.

Jedster

That sounds kind of like deism. Deists believe God exists but He is not a personal God who interacts with His creation.

Technically I am a theist because I believe that God communicates to humans through Messengers. I believe that God has a mind, but not like human a human mind, and I am not sure God does anything except for sending Messengers. I am thus kind of a cross between what Abrahamic theists believe, that God is personal, and what deists believe.

Not a Deist because Deists believe that God could interact. I do not.
As I wrote above, God is the primary substance of existence from which all things came. God has no thoughts and doesn't do anything. No mind.
(This is only my personal inner use of the word God(a personal paradigm). IRL I usually say I am an atheist or non-theist.)

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Not a Deist because Deists believe that God could interact. I do not.
As I wrote above, God is the primary substance of existence from which all things came. God has no thoughts and doesn't do anything. No mind.
(This is only my personal inner use of the word God(a personal paradigm). IRL I usually say I am an atheist or non-theist.)
Okay. I knew what you were describing was not exactly like deism.
I did not know that deists believe that God could interact so I learned something new today. :)

So I guess you are saying that deists believe that God could interact but chooses not to interact.
I am kind of a cross between a theist and a deist because I am not sure God interacts with humans, although some people just think I am a confused theist. ;)

Jedster

Okay. I knew what you were describing was not exactly like deism.
I did not know that deists believe that God could interact so I learned something new today. :)

So I guess you are saying that deists believe that God could interact but chooses not to interact.
I am kind of a cross between a theist and a deist because I am not sure God interacts with humans, although some people just think I am a confused theist. ;)

All I can say to that is just be honest with yourself. If you are a theist/deist then so be it.
No need to convince others. It makes an interesting addition to the landscape of beliefs.