• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are there any online Computer Science courses I can take for under $800?

Ostronomos

There are many options for online programs and there is no end to computer science courses. But a lot of them seem to be quite pricey. I was hoping someone could point me in a direction where I can major in computer science for under $800? Where I can actually earn a credential.

Heyo

Veteran Member
There are many options for online programs and there is no end to computer science courses. But a lot of them seem to be quite pricey. I was hoping someone could point me in a direction where I can major in computer science for under $800? Where I can actually earn a credential.
As far as I know there are no courses outside of universities that can get you a degree.
But there are universities which offer remote learning programs. You must be qualified (high school diploma or equal) and officially register. Some of the programs require you to sit down in person for tests once per semester.

Ella S.

*temp banned*
This is not a direct answer to your question, which I apologize for, but this is a piece of advice that might help you. You can take it or leave it. This is coming from someone in America affiliated with the infosec industry, with acquaintances in software development.

Depending on the career you're looking to gain with a CompSci degree, the degree might actually be next to worthless. Many hiring managers care more about technical proficiency with certain high-level computing concepts or familiarity with specific tools or languages. Look at job listings for the job you're interested in applying for and pay attention to the requirements.

Many jobs in tech don't care if you have a degree as long as you can demonstrate proficiency and a CompSci degree doesn't actually teach you what you need for a career in almost any computer-based job. Everyone I know in the industry who got a degree also had to self-study, either in their free time or after they graduated and realized nobody was going to hire them.

A CompSci degree is not useless. A few places will require one before they even look at your resume and it is particularly helpful if you plan to either teach or go into research. It just might not be the highest priority for you.