• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are there any Monotheists that believe that God is female?

Do you believe that God is female?

• Total voters

John_Stewart

Are there any Monotheists that believe that God is female? I do not believe this, but I am curious to see who does and why?
I am a monotheist.
I believe God is neither male nor female per se,
but has qualities which in Creation are manifest as separated genders - male and female, sometimes manifest in different beings (a man and a woman, a staminate and a pistillate spinach, asparagus, or rambutan), sometimes manifest in a single being (oyster, strawberry). So in a way, "my" God is more like a strawberry than a single human being, or more like a man and a woman than like two men or two women.

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.
You actually think god is a fruit???????????????????????:eek::eek:
Awwww, I'm sorry, I couldn't help me.;)
I agree. God is niether male nor female. How could "he" be?
HE'S NOT HUMAN.

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student
I am a monotheist.
I believe God is neither male nor female per se,
but has qualities which in Creation are manifest as separated genders - male and female, sometimes manifest in different beings (a man and a woman, a staminate and a pistillate spinach, asparagus, or rambutan), sometimes manifest in a single being (oyster, strawberry). So in a way, "my" God is more like a strawberry than a single human being, or more like a man and a woman than like two men or two women.

Understanding "gender" in the theocratic sense is not difficult.

As you said, it has nothing to do with physical gender, since there is no sexual gender in heaven. Sexual beings are those that reproduce sexually. Angels are A-sexual beings who have no reproductive powers because God created them individually. (The angels who materialized in Noah's day are a whole other story) o_O

Jesus confirmed their A-sexual status when he was questioned by the Saducees about the resurrection...."In reply Jesus said to them: “You are mistaken, because you know neither the Scriptures nor the power of God; for in the resurrection neither do men marry nor are women given in marriage, but are as angels in heaven."

Angels do not marry or produce children in heaven.

Humans are reproductions of themselves. We are purely the product of our parents. Their gene pool, becomes our gene pool. Before we were conceived by them, we did not exist.

Like all other living things who share our planet, we are mortal beings who rely on external things to keep living (air, water, food shelter etc) But humans alone were made in God's image. We alone were promised everlasting life right here on earth.....but our first parents messed that up for us. (Gen 3:22-24) :(

In God's arrangement on earth, there is one appointed to carry the responsibility for the care and well-being of his own family unit. Each family is under the headship of the "man of the house". (1 Cor 11:3)

In God's arrangement then, women have a support role, as God told Eve. She was to be a "helper and compliment" of her husband....not his slave and not his servant. But someone who complimented his role and assisted him in the smooth running of the household.

His headship was not to be a dictatorship, but imitating the same caring and loving headship that Jesus manifested towards his spiritual family of believers. He loved them enough to offer his life for them. (John 3:16) Their welfare both physically and spiritually was his assignment.

To make God into a female in the eyes of humans would be to run contrary to his own headship arrangement. The "maleness" wasn't just in the gender, but in the position that God had assigned him as head and decision maker. Making God female would have undermined the whole arrangement.

We are all made in God's image...meaning that we can all reflect his qualities such as love, justice, wisdom and power within the capacity that he has assigned to each of his human children....both male and female. :)

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Are there any Monotheists that believe that God is female? I do not believe this, but I am curious to see who does and why?
Yeah...... definitely!
As far as I am concerned the Deity who is all and everything, everywhere, throughout the universes, is 'Mother Nature'.
She's tough, very tough..... but she's consistent.

MrMrdevincamus

Voice Of The Martyrs Supporter
I might get in trouble with my traditional Christian brethren by saying this but I will risk it. In my opinion if we can mentally 'excise' God from the 'trinity', and ignore popular biblical hermeneutics (interpretation), it seems to me that God is neither male or female. Didn't God create male and female? However, my friends and others including scholars overwhelmingly support the case for the masculine God. I have read good articles supporting a masculine God by using various gleanings from the OT's and its original Hebrew language. I may change my opinion as I learn more. Does God's gender or lack of it matter? Hmmm'...yes I think it does, but I feel it matters in a mostly advanced conceptual context.

Agathion

the Minister
God is prob neither male or female. Being that it is after all god, he/she/it can logically take whatever gender/age/form it wants.

A Maatian De'ani

I've always thought of asexual organisms as female. IMO, any organism that gives birth to young (or is capable of it) is female. Some species don't have males, but all of them have females.

So... is God capable of giving birth? If God is omnipotent, then God is capable of anything, so the answer would be "yes", implying that God is female.

If God is capable of impregnating God, then God would also be male... but I'm not sure if there's a "can God create a rock too heavy for him to lift"-type contradiction in there.

IMO, any omnipotent God definitely is female. It may also be male as well, making it a hermaphrodite.

Since I believe that what materially exists reflecs what spiritually exists, I do believe that biological and gender differences are contained within God's being. And given that logic I believe that your logic for seeing God as female makes perfect sense. As far as my personal worship goes, I almost always in worship address God as Lady, Queen, Isis i.e in female / feminine forms. I have done this for near 20 years.

Glenn

susanblange

God is neither male nor female. We were all created in his image. There is no procreation in Heaven. On earth, God's spirit will inhabit the body of a woman. There are a lot of scriptures in the OT that proves this. The name of God is secret and the reason for this is that if we knew the given name of God, we would know she is a woman. If Israel knew the Truth, they would've been weakened by it.

A Maatian De'ani

God is neither male nor female. We were all created in his image. There is no procreation in Heaven. On earth, God's spirit will inhabit the body of a woman. There are a lot of scriptures in the OT that proves this. The name of God is secret and the reason for this is that if we knew the given name of God, we would know she is a woman. If Israel knew the Truth, they would've been weakened by it.

You seem to be contradicting yourself here. You have just said that God is not male nor female, but then you say that God's name is secret because "his" name is in fact female. Furthermore it is secret because during Biblical times Israel would not have have followed him if they had known his name is feminine. They would have thought he was weak.

OK there is a lot here. but I will deal with the issue of God's "weakness." It certainly has been a belief of many of the cultures of Western Civilization that femaleness equates to weakness. Certainly I think that is the general biblical idea and perhaps that of Islam as well. But many of the societies surrounding ancient Israel did not see it that way. For example Egyptian Goddesses such as Sekhmet the lion goddess and the Uraenus snake goddesses played strong roles in protesting the male God Ra and also the Pharaohs of Egpyt. They were hardly weak. Anat the Canaanite Goddess of war and bloodshed was hardly weak either. The Assyrians and Babylonians worshipped Ishtar their chief war goddess. She was hardly weak.

Now of course these societies did not in general place women on the battlefields along with the men. Women instead had to fight in general had to fight in the battlefields of child birth. They had other important roles to perform as well. However Goddeses are a part of the spiritual world. Within that world the differences of physical strength in the flesh simply do not exist.

However I will grant you one point. When ancient Hebrews assigned a gender to their one God they no doubt did assign a male name to him because they believed that both ultimate spiritual authority and power could only be male.

susanblange

You seem to be contradicting yourself here. You have just said that God is not male nor female, but then you say that God's name is secret because "his" name is in fact female. Furthermore it is secret because during Biblical times Israel would not have have followed him if they had known his name is feminine. They would have thought he was weak.

OK there is a lot here. but I will deal with the issue of God's "weakness." It certainly has been a belief of many of the cultures of Western Civilization that femaleness equates to weakness. Certainly I think that is the general biblical idea and perhaps that of Islam as well. But many of the societies surrounding ancient Israel did not see it that way. For example Egyptian Goddesses such as Sekhmet the lion goddess and the Uraenus snake goddesses played strong roles in protesting the male God Ra and also the Pharaohs of Egpyt. They were hardly weak. Anat the Canaanite Goddess of war and bloodshed was hardly weak either. The Assyrians and Babylonians worshipped Ishtar their chief war goddess. She was hardly weak.

Now of course these societies did not in general place women on the battlefields along with the men. Women instead had to fight in general had to fight in the battlefields of child birth. They had other important roles to perform as well. However Goddeses are a part of the spiritual world. Within that world the differences of physical strength in the flesh simply do not exist.

However I will grant you one point. When ancient Hebrews assigned a gender to their one God they no doubt did assign a male name to him because they believed that both ultimate spiritual authority and power could only be male.
God in Heaven is genderless as are all of the Angels. They have no sex organs, because there is no procreation. These parts were something that were created. The serpent is mentioned specifically and it was part of Adam's anatomy. Genesis 3:1. The story of Adam and Eve is a parable, it is not meant to be taken literally. There are a lot of scriptures from the OT that prove God is female. One is Jeremiah 33:15-18. "...this is the name wherewith she shall be called, The Lord our righteousness". Christians will say "she" refers to Jerusalem but it is blasphemous to suggest this. "Lord" is translated from the Tetragrammaton, it is all in capital letters and it is one of the names of God. Jeremiah 23:5-8 says the same thing almost verbatim but it says "he". Cities are always referred to in the female gender.

Neutral Name

Neutral Name

God’s gender? Not male, or female. Non-binary, says archbishop of Canterbury

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
You should have as one of your poll options that God is beyond gender. God has no body, no arms, no legs, certainly no genitals.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You should have as one of your poll options that God is beyond gender. God has no body, no arms, no legs, certainly no genitals.

God doesn't have gender! Exactly! It's actually one of the proofs that nothing is like Him, because humans have genders, so being created in his image doesn't mean 1 to 1 mapping of attributes of God to the human spirit.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What image means is that we have essential attributes and able to balance them, but still we have those talents in a limited way, and different type of images we are. There is nothing like God. Adam's (spiritual) image is not like God at all.

susanblange

I don't think God has a vagina or breasts. No.
God on Earth does have female parts. Breasts are symbolized by mountains in the scriptures. Zechariah 6:1. "...four chariots came out from between two mountains; and the mountains were mountains of brass". This verse means that it came from the heart, and it ended the Cold War. Zechariah 6:8. The horn is a phallic symbol, and a little horn represents a woman. Daniel 7:8, Job 16:15. God also has a womb. Job 38:29. "Out of whose womb came the ice?"