• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are there any Monotheists that believe that God is female?

Do you believe that God is female?

• Total voters

mystic64

nolonger active
General convention with a little science to back it up usually considers the male side of the brain (left side of the brain, right hand side of the body) and the Pituitary gland the body physical oriented aspect of the brain; and the female side of the brain (right side of the brain, left hand side of the body) and the Pineal gland the spirit oriented aspect of the brain. And Creation itself can be separated into two things: the physical (mass) and the spirit (pure energy).

Now as a declared "monotheist" I find the question of whether or not God is male or female an interesting question. Historically speaking we have monotheist religions where all life was created by the Goddess Mother and monotheist religions where all life was created by God the Father. If Creation was created out of pure energy or spirit and communication with the Creator was done through spirit, then the Creator has to be female. If Creation was created out of matter or mass and communication with the Creator involves matter or mass then the Creator has to be male.

In physics we have the "particle theory" which is about mass and the "string theory" which is about energy. And apparently these two theories explain the two different sides of Creation with some overlap in the middle. The question becomes which came first, the chicken or the egg? Did energy/spirit beget mass/physical or did mass/physical beget energy/spirit? If physics is correct, then Creation itself is made up of both male (mass/physical) and female (pure energy/spirit) and these two sides working more or less in harmony are required for Creation to exist.

If a monotheist deity does exist and it is the Creator of Creation and it has the same qualities as Creation, it then has to be both male and female. Now if we associate this being both male and female with the higher forms of life on this planet from a biological stand point, female is the X chromosome and male is the Y chromosome. Now in the human species ("Let us create them in our image") the only individuals that carry both the X chromosome and the Y chromosome are the males of the human species, so therefore from that angle a monotheist deity that is also the Creator has to be male. Also from a genetics stand point you can create both male and female individuals from the genes of a male and you can only create female individuals from the genes of a female. So from a practical stand point, at least relative to genetics, a monotheist creator has to also be male.

Therefore, as a declared monotheist, I am inclined to think that God the Creator is male if I am forced into making a choice.

ReticentMouse

I had to answer, "I don't know".

Personally I believe that God, being the "ultimate reality," as some people call it is simultaneously both Male and Female while being neither

Alceste

Vagabond
General convention with a little science to back it up usually considers the male side of the brain (left side of the brain, right hand side of the body) and the Pituitary gland the body physical oriented aspect of the brain; and the female side of the brain (right side of the brain, left hand side of the body) and the Pineal gland the spirit oriented aspect of the brain. And Creation itself can be separated into two things: the physical (mass) and the spirit (pure energy).

Now as a declared "monotheist" I find the question of whether or not God is male or female an interesting question. Historically speaking we have monotheist religions where all life was created by the Goddess Mother and monotheist religions where all life was created by God the Father. If Creation was created out of pure energy or spirit and communication with the Creator was done through spirit, then the Creator has to be female. If Creation was created out of matter or mass and communication with the Creator involves matter or mass then the Creator has to be male.

In physics we have the "particle theory" which is about mass and the "string theory" which is about energy. And apparently these two theories explain the two different sides of Creation with some overlap in the middle. The question becomes which came first, the chicken or the egg? Did energy/spirit beget mass/physical or did mass/physical beget energy/spirit? If physics is correct, then Creation itself is made up of both male (mass/physical) and female (pure energy/spirit) and these two sides working more or less in harmony are required for Creation to exist.

If a monotheist deity does exist and it is the Creator of Creation and it has the same qualities as Creation, it then has to be both male and female. Now if we associate this being both male and female with the higher forms of life on this planet from a biological stand point, female is the X chromosome and male is the Y chromosome. Now in the human species ("Let us create them in our image") the only individuals that carry both the X chromosome and the Y chromosome are the males of the human species, so therefore from that angle a monotheist deity that is also the Creator has to be male. Also from a genetics stand point you can create both male and female individuals from the genes of a male and you can only create female individuals from the genes of a female. So from a practical stand point, at least relative to genetics, a monotheist creator has to also be male.

Therefore, as a declared monotheist, I am inclined to think that God the Creator is male if I am forced into making a choice.

You're starting with a faulty premise. We don't have a "male half" and a "female half" of the brain. We have a brain. All of us. It's pretty much identical regardless of our gender. Any imposition of gendered attributes to our brain functions boils down to our own unexamined, archaic and usually baseless prejudices of what it means to be a man or a woman.

mystic64

nolonger active
You're starting with a faulty premise. We don't have a "male half" and a "female half" of the brain. We have a brain. All of us. It's pretty much identical regardless of our gender. Any imposition of gendered attributes to our brain functions boils down to our own unexamined, archaic and usually baseless prejudices of what it means to be a man or a woman.

Ok, thank you for your input.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I believe in many possible deities, but that none of them have a biological sex. Although it helps to visualize them as male or female when thinking of them, addressing them or with idols and such. I think they take the form that the worshiper expect them to take, much of the time.

But when it comes to a cosmic "God", I'm decidedly a pantheist...so it wouldn't have a sex either, of course.

Sabour

Are there any Monotheists that believe that God is female? I do not believe this, but I am curious to see who does and why?

This is a reason why we muslims prefer to say Allah instead of God.

God may give the impression that there is a god and a goddess. Whereas God has no gender, so by saying Allah we avoid that notion.

pearl

God has no gender, God is not a name. There is no reason why God cannot be referred to as Mother as well as Father.

mystic64

nolonger active
Religions that worshipped a female deity as Creator always had a male priciple as a part of their religion. It is just that that male principle was not considered dominant or was considered to distant to participate. And because these religions promoted multiple sexual partners (mating with the strongest most fitest male possible) linage could only be kept track of through the female. And when Christianity came along it caused those religions to a great extant to become extinct. In today's world the concept of a dominant female deity is still alive in many of the versions of today's European paganism where certain groups of have resisted Christianity and have continued to maintain and promote the old ways. "Is God male or female?" Well if you ask these folks, then God is female and dominant over the male priciple.

Salek Atesh

By sex?? Neither male nor female. He'd need to be limited to an animal body for that.

If we're talking gender, as in man or woman, and ascribed rolls to masculinity and femininity, both. Or neither, depending on how you view it. He's beyond such concepts as gender, and is united in both the masculine and feminine "gender rolls", possessing traits ascribed to each.

mystic64

nolonger active
By sex?? Neither male nor female. He'd need to be limited to an animal body for that.

If we're talking gender, as in man or woman, and ascribed rolls to masculinity and femininity, both. Or neither, depending on how you view it. He's beyond such concepts as gender, and is united in both the masculine and feminine "gender rolls", possessing traits ascribed to each.

First of all Salek Atesh, I would like to say that as a mystic I agree with you! But just for the sake of arguement /discussion into what seems to be the tradition that God is male: The first book of what is generally considered the Old Testement of the Christian Bible it is claimed that the sons of God found the women of man pleasing and they married them and had children from them. And in what is generally considered the New Testement of the Christian Bible Lord Jesus said that His folowers should pray to, "Our Father that is in Heaven." These two scriptural claims along with others in the Christian Bible seem to indicate there being gender involved with both God and his childern. And I think that in Islam the God of Abraham is worshipped and that the God of Abraham was considered a male god. Which again would seem to indicate gender being involved. Also genetically speaking the male carries both the Y chromosome and the X chromosome and the Human race can be genetically recreated from male genetics but not from female genetics because the female does not carry the Y chromosome. And this is said with the understanding that there are some who maintain that the human race would be better off without the Y chromosome being a part of it :) . So, if God were to be male, then the human race (male and female) could be created in His and His sons image genitically speaking and His sons could/would be able to procreate with Human females.

Now as a mystic, you get out there and the profoundly power force with an intelligence that you incounter is beyound the Yin and Yang (Y and X) that is Creation. And it seems to not have a gender. Which then brings up the question, "Are there two different entities involved?" With the understanding that the entity that has gender and is worshipped is in union with the entity that is beyond gender and is generally known only to those that are mystically inclined.

Last edited:

Salek Atesh

And I think that in Islam the God of Abraham is worshipped and that the God of Abraham was considered a male god.

This is not entirely true, Islam specifies God as genderless. I've even read an interpretation where even trying to ascribe a biological sex is akin to shirk, partnering limited mortal attributes with God. I'd guess the use of masculine pronouns would be a convenience thing... or possibly a language barrier, as not all languages have gender neutral pronouns, but I don't know enough about Arabic to say for certain if this is true.
Now as a mystic, you get out there and the profoundly power force with an intelligence that you incounter is beyound the Yin and Yang (Y and X) that is Creation.

My Taoishness makes me need to point out that the Yin and Yang is in itself the union of opposites and not representative of the opposites themselves. The Yin and Yang is beyond dualism and beyond X and Y.

mystic64

nolonger active
This is not entirely true, Islam specifies God as genderless. I've even read an interpretation where even trying to ascribe a biological sex is akin to shirk, partnering limited mortal attributes with God. I'd guess the use of masculine pronouns would be a convenience thing... or possibly a language barrier, as not all languages have gender neutral pronouns, but I don't know enough about Arabic to say for certain if this is true.

My Taoishness makes me need to point out that the Yin and Yang is in itself the union of opposites and not representative of the opposites themselves. The Yin and Yang is beyond dualism and beyond X and Y.

Humm? Thank you for your input Salek Atesh. And God being genderless is a good idea as far as I am concered. And your take on the yin and yang is interesting. I see them being multi leveled with the ultimate/highest level being as you are saying. Otherwise one's physical Yin and Yang energy systems could not become out of balance and cause illness and other physical and mental problems. Maintaining the highest level (yin and yang cease to exist) in a physical sense is the goal. One becomes two and one and two becomes three. At that point the physical (mass and energy) of Creation is manifested. We are byproducts of Creation and the object is to excape the trap that is Creation and escape to where the Yin and Yang cease to exist as two. Thus, becoming one with the original cause that exists in a reality that is outside of Creation where the Yin and Yang does not exist. As a mystic I have spent a lot of years studying the Tao/Dao and its wisdom is right on, universal, and all incompassing. The only problem with it is that you have to forget everything that you know and start over again to truly understand it. And sometimes that can take awhile :) .