• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are there any Monotheists that believe that God is female?

Do you believe that God is female?

• Total voters

Bob Dixon

>implying
I'd say that if God has any gender, He wouldn't be all that godly.

The only reason I use the pronoun "He" is because it's the custom in English. Note that the "He" is capitalised, to denote divinity, not gender.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Male/female is for organic lifeforms that sexually reproduce, so what use would an omnimax being have with dangly bits? It's rather wacky to try and anthropomorphize the concept of god.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Male/female is for organic lifeforms that sexually reproduce, so what use would an omnimax being have with dangly bits? It's rather wacky to try and anthropomorphize the concept of god.
I've always thought of asexual organisms as female. IMO, any organism that gives birth to young (or is capable of it) is female. Some species don't have males, but all of them have females.

So... is God capable of giving birth? If God is omnipotent, then God is capable of anything, so the answer would be "yes", implying that God is female.

If God is capable of impregnating God, then God would also be male... but I'm not sure if there's a "can God create a rock too heavy for him to lift"-type contradiction in there.

IMO, any omnipotent God definitely is female. It may also be male as well, making it a hermaphrodite.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Are there any Monotheists that believe that God is female? I do not believe this, but I am curious to see who does and why?

Some do, such as the Shakta sect within Hinduism. Then there are those that see Mother Nature as more as less God. But these are just representations. I agree with others that surely God is genderless, beyond gender. Even people, when you get to their hearts or emotions, or kindness, lack gender. That's an eye opener for a lot of people. Suddenly their friendship pool just doubled.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Depends how you define female, but I believe God has female passions.

As for whether it produces eggs or not, I'm not sure.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I think that God is male, female and other.
All of existence is a reflection of Divine potency. 'Male' and 'female' are also reflections of a spiritual reality.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
How can God be both?

Because God is everything.
The male and female are aspects of the One.
In my religious tradition, Purusha is male and Shakti is female. Shakti is the energy of the Purusha, and all that is manifest is this Shakti.

God is also impersonal; Brahman. This is the cosmic Consciousness that is all-pervading. Everything is 'made' of Brahman.

And so God is male, female and other. God is everywhere, and in everything. Nothing is separate from the divine, in fact, nothing is not divine.

IsmailaGodHasHeard

Because God is everything.
The male and female are aspects of the One.
In my religious tradition, Purusha is male and Shakti is female. Shakti is the energy of the Purusha, and all that is manifest is this Shakti.

God is also impersonal; Brahman. This is the cosmic Consciousness that is all-pervading. Everything is 'made' of Brahman.

And so God is male, female and other. God is everywhere, and in everything. Nothing is separate from the divine, in fact, nothing is not divine.

I am confused. Who is the main god according to your religion?

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I am confused. Who is the main god according to your religion?

Krishna/Vishnu (one and the same)

I should have mentioned, Purusha and Shakti are being used as titles, not names.
So for example, Krishna or Vishnu is Purusha and Radha or Laxmi is Shakti.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Would a Hindu worship Brahman?

Not really. Brahman is something that becomes Realised through meditation, but it is not an aspect of divinity that one can develop a relationship or love with. Worship or devotion is given to the Personal.

GabrielWithoutWings

Are there any Monotheists that believe that God is female? I do not believe this, but I am curious to see who does and why?

Ancient Gnostics sometimes referred to the Godhead (or Pleroma) as the Metropater (Mother/Father).

There's the Goddess movement such as the Dea worshipers who do not include male forms. There are also the pagan Goddess worshipers, such as Dianics and Feris. Both hold the Goddess as supreme and the God as an extension of the Goddess. In respect to Feris, they usually ascribe male attributes to the Goddess (such as the term 'clitorophallic').

Other than those, Hindu Skaktism is the only other I can think of.