• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are the Simpsons atheists? And how representative are they?

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
As a European, I can only view the religious landscape in the United States through the lens of the media, but I watched another Simpsons vs. Flanders episode (when they take a trip to the Grand Canyon), and I noticed in that in The Simpsons, the Flanders family, as Christians/Protestants, are always made out to be "odd", while the Simpsons, who do go to church from time to time when an episode calls for it, but otherwise don't practice any religion regularly except for Lisa, are the "norm". According to what one hears in Germany from the media, it seems to be just the opposite in the United States, that a large number of people are Christians / Protestants, that it is proper to be a church member and atheists / agnostics are rather the exception. Would you say that the Simpsons are atheists? And how representative is their lifestyle for the U.S.A. ?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I would say that, like most Americans, the Simpson's are nominal christians, while Flanders is more of a fundamentalist christian, of which there are many in the U.S.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
As a European, I can only view the religious landscape in the United States through the lens of the media, but I watched another Simpsons vs. Flanders episode (when they take a trip to the Grand Canyon), and I noticed in that in The Simpsons, the Flanders family, as Christians/Protestants, are always made out to be "odd", while the Simpsons, who do go to church from time to time when an episode calls for it, but otherwise don't practice any religion regularly except for Lisa, are the "norm". According to what one hears in Germany from the media, it seems to be just the opposite in the United States, that a large number of people are Christians / Protestants, that it is proper to be a church member and atheists / agnostics are rather the exception. Would you say that the Simpsons are atheists? And how representative is their lifestyle for the U.S.A. ?

The US is a big place. It has more than one culture going on. As for my area(urban Midwest), it seems there are a lot of 'don't know, don't care, but its fun to hunt for eggs on Easter'. They absorb the culture, perhaps get the idea of Christianity, were baptized and are comfortable in a Christian setting, but don't think too hard on it. I suspect the Simpsons fall into this category. Atheism isn't uncommon anymore, and you'll get no flack for it around here.

Flander's version of Christianity exists, but its a minority. Sometimes, its a loud minority, making it seem like a bigger thing than it really is.

But again, this is just my Urban Midwestern experience. My husband grew up in the south, and it was a lot different there.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I understand that Western Atheism is a part of the Christendom as when they say that they don't believe in god, they mean that "Jesus is not god", please. Right?
I mean they started in reaction to the Hellenist Pauline Christianity who believe in "dying, rising deity they name Jesus", please. Right?
The Western Atheists are not " Scientific Atheists people", I understand, please. Right?

Regards

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I understand that Western Atheism is a part of the Christendom as when they say that they don't believe in god, they mean that "Jesus is not god", please. Right?
I mean they started in reaction to the Hellenist Pauline Christianity who believe in "dying, rising deity they name Jesus", please. Right?
The Western Atheists are not " Scientific Atheists people", I understand, please. Right?

Regards

In my part of the US, Atheism means they don't believe in Jesus(other than perhaps a historical figure), Yahweh, nor Zeus. (Or any of the other myriad of Gods you can think of.)

Most tend to be 'scientific Atheist people', though they may not all be overly involved in science.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
The US is a big place. It has more than one culture going on. As for my area(urban Midwest), it seems there are a lot of 'don't know, don't care, but its fun to hunt for eggs on Easter'. They absorb the culture, perhaps get the idea of Christianity, were baptized and are comfortable in a Christian setting, but don't think too hard on it. I suspect the Simpsons fall into this category. Atheism isn't uncommon anymore, and you'll get no flack for it around here.

Flander's version of Christianity exists, but its a minority. Sometimes, its a loud minority, making it seem like a bigger thing than it really is.

But again, this is just my Urban Midwestern experience. My husband grew up in the south, and it was a lot different there.

Yeah, I would say rural areas are significantly less tolerant, especially in the south. Many don't take too kindly to anyone who's not white, strait, or Christian in those parts.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Bart must be a believer. He is so much into good church music:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

Regards
Incorrect. Rejecting Christianity is not the same as rejecting the concept of god entirely.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah, I would say rural areas are significantly less tolerant, especially in the south. Many don't take too kindly to anyone who's not white, strait, or Christian in those parts.

I think in rural Iowa, there's more specifics than just white, straight, and Christian, even... no one will hurt you over it, but you won't be treated real well.

From what my husband expressed, its the same in rural south, only people might hurt you over it, if they feel they can get away with it.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
There are a number of Simpsons episods that show them in church and are actually very pro-Christianity and pro-religion in general.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
cfd651ad-e460-424e-ab96-035beea38a62_text.gif

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I think in rural Iowa, there's more specifics than just white, straight, and Christian, even... no one will hurt you over it, but you won't be treated real well.

From what my husband expressed, its the same in rural south, only people might hurt you over it, if they feel they can get away with it.

Jesus was about loving and forgiving thy neighbor, turning the other cheek, etc. yet many who proclaim to follow him embrace hatred and malice.