• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are the Scriptures the End of Revelations?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Yes or no, and what are the implications of that which you select? [iow, think it through c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y, minus a knee-jerk reaction]

BTW, this discussion is open to all theists in any religion, plus atheists and agnostics are welcomed as well-- just tell them "metis" sent you.;)

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Yes or no, and what are the implications of that which you select? [iow, think it through c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y, minus a knee-jerk reaction]

BTW, this discussion is open to all theists in any religion, plus atheists and agnostics are welcomed as well-- just tell them "metis" sent you.;)
Revelation from G-d continues, I understand. Who can stop G-d from conversing with humans? But Revelation to humans cannot be against the verses of Quran- the complete and final Revelation from G-d. Right, please?

Regards

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I interpret the OP as asking about all the extant scriptures from all religions.

My answer is that as the Avatar comes again and again, the form and the focus of the teachings will change to reflect the nature of the future ages. The teachings that are part of the coming Sat Yuga (golden age) will be very different from the details of the teachings appropriate to the concluding Kali Yuga (dark age) that we live in.

exchemist

Veteran Member

Well I think you know I am going to say "no". Religion is not just the study of old manuscripts.

Jedster

No, of course not.
We gain more knowledge every day, thanks to people, especially devoted scientists, pursuing knowledge.

MNoBody

Given the confusion that has come from it [and that the devil is depicted as being the Author of confusing tales] It is seriously in question as to whose stories those really are.
the evidence is not supportive of the expectations people hold to

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Yes or no, and what are the implications of that which you select? [iow, think it through c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y, minus a knee-jerk reaction].............
I find that Revelation (singular) is the end or last of the 66 Bible books.
However, Gospel writer John wrote Revelation then after Revelation he wrote 1st, 2nd, 3rd John and his gospel account.
I suppose with Revelation being placed last implies that Revelation is set for our day or time frame and Not the 1st century - Revelation 1:10.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I interpret the OP as asking about all the extant scriptures from all religions.
My answer is that as the Avatar comes again and again, the form and the focus of the teachings will change to reflect the nature of the future ages. The teachings that are part of the coming Sat Yuga (golden age) will be very different from the details of the teachings appropriate to the concluding Kali Yuga (dark age) that we live in.
Interesting ^ above ^ and yes there are people who do live in a ' spiritual ' dark age: Those who reject the spiritual preferring the material.
In Scripture, the coming ' Golden Age ' is referred to as Jesus' coming Millennium-Long Day of governing over Earth for a thousand years.

Jedster

Yes, gain more knowledge every day.... but Scientific knowledge is Not the teacher of morality.

Increasing knowledge can increase or decrease morality. as can our own living experiences, depending how said knowledge is used.
Limiting our selves to ancients writings, which are pretty much deified by many people, is stultifying.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Increasing knowledge can increase or decrease morality. as can our own living experiences, depending how said knowledge is used. Limiting our selves to ancients writings, which are pretty much deified by many people, is stultifying.
Yes, increasing knowledge can either: increase or decrease morality.
And that can be true of Scripture.
Depending on 'how' said scriptural knowledge, scriptural education, is used can increase or decrease one's morals.
False 'weed/tares' ministers show decreasing morals allowed even among members in good standing.
Whereas, genuine 'wheat ' ministers show No biblical morality change as mentioned at 1 Corinthians 5:11-13; 1 Corinthians 6:9-11 A.

74x12

No ... Jesus said I am the beginning and the end. That should tell us what the final revelation is. It's Jesus. Too many people think the scriptures are the ultimate; when Jesus himself claimed the scriptures are talking about him.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

When do the scriptures end? Jews thought the canon was closed, but Christians came along and added the New Testament. Then the Mormons want to add on to the New Testament. the Muslims say the Quran supplants the Bible, but the Bahai come along and say they have something even newer, and Jewislanity is so much newer than Bahai that it doesn't even have a wiki writeup yet, just building on what came before and adding new "revelation" to it. So where does it end?

For me? It ended back with the Tanakh. No improvement was necessary.

metis

First of all, thanks for the responses.

My question in the OP was generated by an article I read about the Upanishads, whereas in the Hindu tradition revelation is considered on-going, thus not static, and therefore the various Hindu scriptures are not viewed as being the "final answer". Matter of fact, Hindu scholars generally do not adhere to the concept of scriptural inerrancy.

Therefore, the practitioner is to be open to further inspiration through study, lifetime experiences, and meditation, also including newly-acquired scientific evidence. Thus the scriptures are not an end in and of themselves but a means to an end, even though our "end" and our conclusions are not really the end of it all as this process continues on.

Thoughts?

metis

To the above, let me just add a Christian perspective [mine], in that the authors of the New Testament must have believed in something along this line, probably believing that they were being inspired by the Holy Spirit to write that which they understood to be true, and making modifications along the way based on what they were exposed to and came to better understand. To put it another way, the Holy Spirit preceded the writing of the New Testament and the selection of the canon, thus not the other way around.

Thus, if we truly believe in the Holy Spirit and Jesus' promise of It's power of guidance, then I must assume that This is still at work today, thus is not only on-going but also everchanging.

Therefore, some items may contradict some specifics in the New Testament but without gutting it. An item that comes to mind is how our universe started, and another is how homosexuality is viewed by many in a different way than what was believed in the early Church.

Again, thoughts from other Christians?

MNoBody

bibliolatry is a huge thing apparently, but it is not as revealing as one thinks at first glance.
1226nswbible14122215h30.jpg