• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are the religionists all hypocrites?

If you believe in religious tolerance, it also follows that you have to accept the equality of all religions. Therefore, anyone who actually believes that his own religion is "the truth" automatically believes that there must be other religions which are false. If you believe that something is true and something else is false, then you believe that one set of beliefs is better than another. Therefore if you are a religionist and identify with a religious belief, you are not only a hypocrite to claim to be tolerant, but fundamentally intolerant. I am primarily referring to Christianity and Islam; the more exotic religions are far more tolerant such as Buddhism, Hinduism, or Wicca do not discriminate in the same way as the Christians or Muslims. It is thus important to know the difference between the reactionary religions and the ones which promote spiritual tolerance and communal well-being.

Only the most primitive and backwards of people place dogma, ideology, and abstract notions of reactionary morality in front of the all-important, concrete present-day concept of human rights. In a true democracy, equality of all religions and beliefs (including atheism and secularism) must be enforced to protect the human rights of minority religions, and should be enforced through any means. As any reasonable person who embraces change and progress already knows, people having the arrogance and audacity to believe that any religion in particular is "better" than any of the other religions, and is still promoting such outmoded claims, is a force against progress and civility. World peace in large part automatically follows on our project of moving the pragmatic goal religious tolerance.

horizon_mj1

One of the reasons I have never chosen one particular religion to be a part of my life is due to how the people within the religions all claim that their's is right and everyone else is wrong. I enjoyed reading your post and agree with what you have said.

horizon_mj1

Except not all religious people believe that. :rolleyes:

You're right not all do, but most that I have met in my life are. I have had several difficulties just trying to learn things from people about their religion because they would get offended when I would ask too many questions or ask their point of view on something that may shadow their beliefs. When I look back through history and see how many people have lost their lives due not non-conformity to a religion, it makes me mad. It just seems that now instead, people make themselves the judge and jury of one's soul and condemn them if there is a conflict of belief.

Poisonshady313

If you believe in religious tolerance, it also follows that you have to accept the equality of all religions. Therefore, anyone who actually believes that his own religion is "the truth" automatically believes that there must be other religions which are false. If you believe that something is true and something else is false, then you believe that one set of beliefs is better than another. Therefore if you are a religionist and identify with a religious belief, you are not only a hypocrite to claim to be tolerant, but fundamentally intolerant. I am primarily referring to Christianity and Islam; the more exotic religions are far more tolerant such as Buddhism, Hinduism, or Wicca do not discriminate in the same way as the Christians or Muslims. It is thus important to know the difference between the reactionary religions and the ones which promote spiritual tolerance and communal well-being.

Only the most primitive and backwards of people place dogma, ideology, and abstract notions of reactionary morality in front of the all-important, concrete present-day concept of human rights. In a true democracy, equality of all religions and beliefs (including atheism and secularism) must be enforced to protect the human rights of minority religions, and should be enforced through any means. As any reasonable person who embraces change and progress already knows, people having the arrogance and audacity to believe that any religion in particular is "better" than any of the other religions, and is still promoting such outmoded claims, is a force against progress and civility. World peace in large part automatically follows on our project of moving the pragmatic goal religious tolerance.
Why doesn't anyone understand that there's a difference between tolerance and acceptance?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I think it is actually a bit naive to be "tolerant" & "accepting" of all religions, although it is so very PC these days. I much prefer to call a shovel a shovel, and call it a day. Sue me.

Aside:
Green Amy said:
:snowflake:Happy Yule!:snowflake:
Don't you find it fascinating how quickly we change our words, to become so neutral in regards to "Merry Christmas" and yet remain hung up on ones like "marriage".
Strange isn't it?

That is so gay,
... methinks.

Last edited:
No, that is not what religious tolerance is. Religious tolerance is the idea that all people should have the right to practice their beliefs in their own lives. It makes no judgment on the validity of those beliefs
That is merely recognizing freedom of religion or putting up with them. "Putting up" is merely a grudging, unaccommodating feeling implies a rejection that person's individual subjective reality as they see it, and therefore a subconscious intolerance of the other person's beliefs. For example x-tians believe that Jesus is the only way to heaven. It logically follows that they will see non-Christian faiths as being untrue and thus "inferior". This is subconscious intolerance. However, as I pointed out before, religions such as Hinduism, Buddhism, and most neo-pagan faiths do not have this problem with intolerance and are generally open-minded.

The only path to true religious tolerance is to abolish all distinction between separate religions. Some communities, such as Unitarian Universalists, have already done this. When we do this, it is essential that people accept all religions as completely equal in validity, doctrine and theology. Religion, like race is merely a social construct created by the ruling religious elite to profit from conflict and indoctrinated hatred.

Hyperborean

Cultural Conservative
the more exotic religions are far more tolerant such as Buddhism, Hinduism, or Wicca do not discriminate in the same way as the Christians or Muslims.
To be fair, Buddhists do discriminate, even against their fellow Buddhists. Those people in the Tibetan community who worship the Dorje Shugden are severely discriminated and even persecuted by other Tibetan Buddhists, all with the Dalai Lama's consent by silence.

Hindus have attacked Christians in India: Christians Face Hindus' Wrath - washingtonpost.com
"Babita Nayak was cooking lunch for her pregnant sister when a mob of Hindu extremists wielding swords, hammers and long sticks rampaged through their village, chanting "India is for Hindus! Convert or leave!"

Anyhow, if you believe in everything (as you suggest would be ideal) you really believe in nothing, because some religions hold contradictory beliefs to other religions, and no sane person can believe both to be true. The idea that people should hold all religions to be equal is absurd political correctness, and an attack on Muslims and Christians that anybody can see. Instead of saying that one has to believe everything at the same time, we should let people live their own lives and do their own thing without the government interfering.

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
That is merely recognizing freedom of religion or putting up with them. "Putting up" is merely a grudging, unaccommodating feeling implies a rejection that person's individual subjective reality as they see it, and therefore a subconscious intolerance of the other person's beliefs. For example x-tians believe that Jesus is the only way to heaven. It logically follows that they will see non-Christian faiths as being untrue and thus "inferior". This is subconscious intolerance. However, as I pointed out before, religions such as Hinduism, Buddhism, and most neo-pagan faiths do not have this problem with intolerance and are generally open-minded.

I agree with Green Gaia's point. Tolerance of a belief does not necessarily imply validation or acceptance of that belief. It merely implies respect for the right of others to hold opinions that differ from one's own, even if one doesn't really respect the content of those opinions.

I also think that you hold an uninformed opinion about Buddhists and Hindus for the reasons that Hyperborean cited. Hindus can be extremely intolerant and opinionated, as can Buddhists. If there were a community dominated by Wiccans, I suspect that they, too, would manifest intolerance against those they disagree with.

The only path to true religious tolerance is to abolish all distinction between separate religions. Some communities, such as Unitarian Universalists, have already done this. When we do this, it is essential that people accept all religions as completely equal in validity, doctrine and theology. Religion, like race is merely a social construct created by the ruling religious elite to profit from conflict and indoctrinated hatred.
I still think that you err in taking tolerance to be some kind of validation of opposing points of view. Intolerance is an unwillingness to put up with ideas that one opposes. Tolerance is the willingness to put up with them. And I certainly do not share your cynicism on why religion exists. Some people do use religion to oppress others, but I think that it fulfills other purposes in the lives of people than to create profit and inflict oppression. It is also a powerful mechanism for coping with life's difficulties.

Tolerance is the willingness to put up with them. And I certainly do not share your cynicism on why religion exists. Some people do use religion to oppress others, but I think that it fulfills other purposes in the lives of people than to create profit and inflict oppression. It is also a powerful mechanism for coping with life's difficulties.
Well looking at the atrocities inflicted in the name of religion -- from the Inquisition, the Colonization of the New World, the Holocaust, the Taliban, and terrorism, to those right here in the US who voluntarily oppress others because of their views, religion is a double edged sword. No doubt, when properly applied, it can provide a sense of comfort and protection. However there are certain things religion cannot handle. For example, the Qu'ran has some verses which impart subtle racist attitudes subconciously to Muslims. Coping with life's difficulties - racism, in this case - can be done just as effectively, if not more, through the careful application of psychoanalysis and psychiatry, for example.

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
JL, I'm no apologist for religion, and I agree with you that much of the violence throughout human history has been connected with religion. However, I still maintain that it is simplistic to see religion as just an evil that needs to be eliminated to make humans behave better. Somehow, I think that people would find other means to oppress each other if they did not have religious motives handy for that purpose.

abhimanyu

As any reasonable person who embraces change and progress already knows, people having the arrogance and audacity to believe that any religion in particular is "better" than any of the other religions, and is still promoting such outmoded claims, is a force against progress and civility. World peace in large part automatically follows on our project of moving the pragmatic goal of religious tolerance.

Truly well said. I believe that the true greatness in any religion is the humanism, non-violence,unselfishness , acceptance of all and unconditional compassion and love it manifests.

If a religion cannot claim these , then it has no right to call itself as a superior religion, or even a religion for that matter.

FyreBrigidIce

Returning Noob
I don't beleive any relgion is better or worse than another. Each religion has things about it that someone may call negative, whether it be history of violence, or pushing others to beleive that theirs is the only way to get to heaven (or whatever afterlife said religion may believe in), to trying to force people to change who they are because it is against that relgion's rules, and each religion has things that are beautiful to the practitioner of said religion.

Live and let live without forcing your own religious beliefs on another human being. No I am not saying this to anyone in particular it is just a general saying that I agree with. It is one thing to give information about your religion to someone who asks for it. It is entirely another to try to make someone understand that their way of believing is wrong and immoral.

FBI

belever

One of the reasons I have never chosen one particular religion to be a part of my life is due to how the people within the religions all claim that their's is right and everyone else is wrong. I enjoyed reading your post and agree with what you have said.
-__________________________________
that doesnt mean u cant find the thruth

belever

Live and let live without forcing your own religious beliefs on another human being.

-___________________________________________________________________
please read matthew 24:14,if now is the last days som one will tell u the good news wether u wont it or not

think you mean :
.When you understand why you dismiss all the other gods you will understand why I dismiss yours." ~ Stephen F. Roberts