• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are the modern Bible translations reliable?

Are modern translations of the Bible reliable?

• Yes, modern translations of the Bible are reliable.

Votes: 15 60.0%
  • No, modern translations of the Bible are not reliable.

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • I don't know.

Votes: 5 20.0%

• Total voters

ZooGirl02

Hey everyone. Would you say that the modern translations of the Bible are reliable or unreliable? Please debate and discuss but also vote in the poll!

Marie75

Liberal
Well how do we know? I mean, were we there when the biblical authors wrote the versus? We will never know unless we were there! Now if it rings true to our heart, then maybe if we ask the holy spirit for guidance he/she will speak to us.

Last edited:

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Hey everyone. Would you say that the modern translations of the Bible are reliable or unreliable? Please debate and discuss but also vote in the poll!

Some modern translations of the Bible are reliable. The New Revised Standard Version, and New Jerusalem translations are quite reliable. The study versions of each are quite a bit better as they give alternative readings, and some very helpful notes.

Now, there are still problems as the translators do have biases, and sometimes those shine through.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
That quality of the translation is quite good. Specifically, they employed a number of experts, used what has been argued the best sources, and remained true to those manuscripts used.

You're digging yourself a hole here, but we'll let it pass ... ;)

Marie75

Liberal
That quality of the translation is quite good. Specifically, they employed a number of experts, used what has been argued the best sources, and remained true to those manuscripts used.

That doesn't make any sense? I'm sorry. "Argued the best sources and remained true to those manuscripts." Um I'm sorry but if there is any argument when it comes to something important as the quality of a translation and putting it in a manuscript...you have to be 100% sure without argument.

I'll be back, I have a pain in the **** that I have to deal with. Pray for me. PLEASE pray for me!

Btw, I said a.r.s.e. without periods, is that a bad word???

Last edited:

Marie75

Liberal
Ask who? If you say God speaks to you, well I'd like him to speak to me, too. It's the only way we could know for sure, right?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
It's a complicated question, secondarily because we often have divergent textual witnesses but primarily because it is often extremely difficult to understand intent. The meaning of words can change. Idiom changes. Vernacular changes. What we end up with at best is exceptionally well informed approximations and, at worst, theologically driven interpretation. As I've noted elsewhere, the most repeated comment found in the recent Torah translation offered by the Jewish Publication Society is: "Heb. meaning uncertain."

Marie75

Liberal
It's a complicated question, secondarily because we often have divergent textual witnesses but primarily because it is often extremely difficult to understand intent. The meaning of words can change. Idiom changes. Vernacular changes. What we end up with at best is exceptionally well informed approximations and, at worst, theologically driven interpretation. As I've noted elsewhere, the most repeated comment found in the recent Torah translation offered by the Jewish Publication Society is: "Heb. meaning uncertain."
Wow, I need to check the online dictionary for some of these words...lol.:run: See it's all about learning about diversity...which I accept without prejudice or something like that. Although I may have some arguments to propose if something doesn't ring true to me.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Give me the "reliable" translation of Deuteronomy 26:5 - specifically "arami oved avi" (אֲרַמִּי אֹבֵד אָבִי).

ZooGirl02

Ask who? If you say God speaks to you, well I'd like him to speak to me, too. It's the only way we could know for sure, right?

I was asking the people on the forums.

The reason why I have asked this question is because it is important to me. I am once again considering Islam and Islam teaches that the Bible that we have nowadays is not accurate to what the original Bible said. That is why I am asking this question.

Shermana

Heretic

The reason why I have asked this question is because it is important to me. I am once again considering Islam and Islam teaches that the Bible that we have nowadays is not accurate to what the original Bible said. That is why I am asking this question.

Islam is likely quite accurate in that regard, the texts have likely seen radical changes, edits, interpolations, and other mangling since they were first compiled. The fact that we have so many manuscript versions and textual variants is a chief witness to that.

Does this mean we can't have a decent idea what was said originally? Not necessarily for the most part. But those who insist on "Biblical inerrancy" are ignorant at best of what's actually available. We have to be willing to accept that many "critical" (and non critical) verses and passages may in fact be Theological coloring added by later scribes.

Marie75

Liberal

Sorry I misinterpreted you, I assumed you were talking about Christianity primarily because of your avatar. Well to me Islam is not a religion I believe in. I guess I'll keep the comments on why I don't believe in it to myself.

Gotta go for a bit, even though I don't want to, I could see this forum being very addicting! Uh oh...

Sculelos

Give me the "reliable" translation of Deuteronomy 26:5 - specifically "arami oved avi" (אֲרַמִּי אֹבֵד אָבִי).

I looked at that verse from KJV and this looks close enough.

"And thou shalt speak and say before the Lord thy God"

If I was going to translate it myself I might say.

"And I was told to go and speak and pray to my lord my God."

I'm not sure exactly what is overly complicated about that part.

Shermana

Heretic
I looked at that verse from KJV and this looks close enough.

"And thou shalt speak and say before the Lord thy God"

If I was going to translate it myself I might say.

"And I was told to go and speak and pray to my lord my God."

I'm not sure exactly what is overly complicated about that part.

He's talking about the "Wandering Aramean was my Father" part.

ZooGirl02

Sorry I misinterpreted you, I assumed you were talking about Christianity primarily because of your avatar. Well to me Islam is not a religion I believe in. I guess I'll keep the comments on why I don't believe in it to myself.

Yes, let's please stay on topic Marie75. We could always start a separate thread about Islam in another forum if you would like. Feel free to do so if that is what you would like to do.

That said, I did just read an article which states that the modern translations of the Bible which we have are very accurate. You can read that article here:

How Accurate is the Bible? | Bible.org - Worlds Largest Bible Study Site

I am possibly going to do some more research on the accuracy of the Bible. I think that I still believe in Catholicism but I am just not sure. I am really confused to be honest.