• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are the Dead....DEAD?

Are the Dead....DEAD?

• Total voters

atanu

Premium Member
Churchianity and the world religions teach otherwise.
What do YOU think?

Advaita Vedanta does not support either choice and the answer is bit complex.

As per Advaita Vedanta, for all of us, there are three bodies and the non-dual Seer of the three bodies. There is a physical flesh-bone-blood body (that we experience during waking when mind-senses operate). There is a mental body (that we experience during dreams when only the mind operates). There is the causal body (that we experience AS IF as non-existence in deep sleep when mind-senses do not operate). Connecting these three states is the Self-Brahman -- that is beyond time-place-objects and that constitutes the self of all of us. The Self is of the nature of existence-consciousness-bliss.

Death is the death of ego-self, the disappearance of waking state physical body. The mental body keeps on bringing up new dresses birth after birth until the causal body is cleared of all causes that give rise to new forms. When causal body gets divested of the false ownership of desires, all bodies are dropped. That will be Moksha. So, the three bodies: causal, mental, and physical are not eternal. But the Self (Atman), the seer of the three bodies is eternal in the sense that in it time-space-selves are born.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I believe a transition is one form into another. With decomposition form is going away.
But not substance. When we die, the elements that comprise our bodies don't "go away." They merely return to the earth and air. Matter and energy cannot be depleted -- merely take another form.

atanu

Premium Member
But not substance. When we die, the elements that comprise our bodies don't "go away." They merely return to the earth and air. Matter and energy cannot be depleted -- merely take another form.

I have a question. I understand that matter-energy take different forms. What of mental propensities, desires, memories etc.?

Cooky

Veteran Member
I believe there is churchianity. That is how I perceive Roman Catholics
I believe I don't respect...

"I believe I don't"...
This sentence strikes me as a person's inner conscience describing what their indoctrinated mind thinks.

...I believe that Sola Scriptura *replaces* the conscience with written "texts", and discourages personal contemplation as something dangerous, which is a kind of spiritual mutilation. I believe it's unnatural and does not come from God at all, but was invented by man.

Last edited by a moderator:

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".
So, it's just a shell game to you.
Where are Adam & Eve?
Your icon of a ? mark is a good answer: while they may be awake now, as were the "spirits in prison", we cannot just assume we know their choice when Christ came. So there is less known than known about that (I'm suggesting some things people think they know aren't such a sure thing).