• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are some stereotypes more equal than others?

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Is there really a difference between saying Christians are Bible-bashing loonies who do nothing but pray 24/7, gays and lesbians are limp-wristed drama-whore sluts, and black people are lazy and just want to live off welfare?

If so, what's the difference? Other than the subject of the stereotype, obviously.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I have never met anyone who fits a stereotype. Generalizations are wrong on a very high level, and it also immoral. It can even be bearing a false witness- which is one of the ten commandments (although I don't expect any nonbeliever to follow those laws)

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Is there really a difference between saying Christians are Bible-bashing loonies who do nothing but pray 24/7, gays and lesbians are limp-wristed drama-whore sluts, and black people are lazy and just want to live off welfare?

If so, what's the difference? Other than the subject of the stereotype, obviously.
No, there's no difference. Is there something else you really want to debate? What got you going on this may I ask?

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
No, there's no difference. Is there something else you really want to debate? What got you going on this may I ask?
It's mostly stuff that's been going on IRL for me; I notice people react differently to each stereotypes. Some are met with fury, some a nod, and others ignored. Why approve of some and pretend they have merit while shouting down others, even though they're all stereotypes at heart?

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Why approve of some and pretend they have merit while shouting down others, even though they're all stereotypes at heart?
Ahhhh, ok. Don't you think it is mostly personal opinion or ignorance? I understand what you mean though....some people propagate certain stereotypes gladly yet shoot down others all the while not realizing their hypocrisy. I'm sure I've done it before. :(

Aqualung

Tasty
Some get closer to actually describing "reality" than others. Like you might stereotype pit bulls in general as smart, when occaisionally you'll get a really dumb pit bull. Seterotyping is just a good way to deal with any certain population as a whole before you have actually gotten know a substantial portion of the actual individuals.

Of course, some stereotypes are outright lies, and nobody fits that, but stereotypes are not automatically wrong or negative just by virtue of the fact that they are stereotypes.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
It's mostly stuff that's been going on IRL for me; I notice people react differently to each stereotypes. Some are met with fury, some a nod, and others ignored. Why approve of some and pretend they have merit while shouting down others, even though they're all stereotypes at heart?

I have noticed that a lot of people only seem to react to prejudices including stereotypes only when affect themselves or someone close to them. That isn't right, but it is the truth.

Booko

Deviled Hen

In some cases it seems worth reasoning with a person. In other cases it seems time would be better used vacuuming the rug. ;)