• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Some People Just Born Bad?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Case in point...

My dad. He had a good upbringing; his parents disciplined him, he had food, clothes, holidays and yet...

...he has a temper like a badly behaved child. The patience of a hungry cat. The ego of a tyrant. He actively claims he knows everything, has contempt for all forms of authority and is abominably lazy. We are thinking of moving out and one reason being just to be away from him.

He had everything and was disciplined thoroughly.

Why are some people bad?
I think it's evoultionary hardwiring. Bad and tough people tend to survive longer and retain control and power. Basically a genetic disposition towards survival of the fittest.

The first part of your question is my own.

Please don't waste time with semantics.

The second part, for me it is objective. Being lazy and throwing temper tantrums is bad.

I dispute the idea that a person can be intrinsically "good" or "bad" and I believe these assessments are based purely on subjectivity.

Hypothetical: perhaps it is you who is intolerant of your father's completely reasonable behavior and that it is you who is at fault.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
I'd only repeat what others said already, it's tough to tell. There may be experiences that shaped him this way and/or something wrong with his body. I kind of have some personal experience with this (both as the person in question and also some family members) but honestly, I don't want to share that publicly. I could tell you in private if you want to know my thoughts and experiences about it.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
Please don't waste time with semantics.

I dispute the idea that a person can be intrinsically "good" or "bad" and I believe these assessments are based purely on subjectivity.

Hypothetical: perhaps it is you who is intolerant of your father's completely reasonable behavior and that it is you who is at fault.
I'm not wasting time with semantics. The first part of your question is my own. Read my title.

No, my father's behaviour is bad. If you think I am being intolerant, there's not much I can do for you. If you think laziness, uncontrollable rage, egotism and impatience are alright, then I'll leave you in your bubble.

I'm not wasting time with semantics. The first part of your question is my own. Read my title.

I didn't dispute that but it is a question of semantics which is a waste of time. Who cares if the wording of part of my post is the same as your OP? Apparently you, which is pretty lame.

No, my father's behaviour is bad. If you think I am being intolerant, there's not much I can do for you. If you think laziness, uncontrollable rage, egotism and impatience are alright, then I'll leave you in your bubble.
I think the ceiling for any intelligent discussion has been reached here due to your lack of understanding.

Hint: Look up "Hypothetical"

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
I didn't dispute that but it is a question of semantics which is a waste of time. Who cares if the wording of part of my post is the same as your OP? Apparently you, which is pretty lame.

I think the ceiling for any intelligent discussion has been reached here due to your lack of understanding.

Hint: Look up "Hypothetical"
"Are some people born bad?" is hardly a waste-of-time to ask, since you also asked it, and definitely not semantics.

Of course I know what hypothetical means, but the idea that hypothetically, somehow, laziness can be good and I'm just not tolerating it does not and never can enter my mind. I am interested only in the reality.

"Are some people born bad?" is hardly a waste-of-time to ask, since you also asked it, and definitely not semantics.

Of course I know what hypothetical means, but the idea that hypothetically, somehow, laziness can be good and I'm just not tolerating it does not and never can enter my mind. I am interested only in the reality.

You've completely missed my point.

Tabu

Case in point...

My dad. He had a good upbringing; his parents disciplined him, he had food, clothes, holidays and yet...

...he has a temper like a badly behaved child. The patience of a hungry cat. The ego of a tyrant. He actively claims he knows everything, has contempt for all forms of authority and is abominably lazy. We are thinking of moving out and one reason being just to be away from him.

Why are some people bad?
Our understanding (Brahma Kumari) , is that the weaknesses or strengths in people operates through their accumulated values ( sanskaars) , which can be of this birth or from the previous birth , nevertheless both can be changed if that person decides to do so.
" sanskaar ke parivarthan se samaag ka parivartan" , " By changing values we can change the society "
People are good or bad depending on the values they have chosen for themselves , and very obviously good ones spread peace , happiness and love and bad ones are those which disturb oneself and others.
We are told that when interacting with people with bad temper , have in mind that you are dealing with a child who is found of toying with sharp objects , you need to be very careful in pulling out that dangerous toy from that child lest he hurts himself or you with it , so one has to deal very tactfully and patiently with lots of love and also need to educate him with more peaceful ways of getting things done ,that the child himself no longer feels the need to play with the dangerous toy of anger.
Hopefully this video will help

Seven headed beast

Awaited One
The answer is positively yes, some people are born "dark"'.

The cosmic "law of laws" to which all things are bound, is the yin and yang.

Actually, this is the "job" of the God that hears people's prayers. The Old Man is the keeper of the cosmic balance and for every light, there is a counterpart that is dark.

The yin and yang are dynamic, and are spinning like a gyroscope or a top. There is aan equilibrium that must be maintained constantly. If it goesout of balance than it will begin to wobble and soon the wobble will become irredeemable.

So, there is a dark for every light, that is exacting. It is about keeping the thing moving smoothly.

I need to add that "dark" is not "evil" but the dark individuals are more inclined that direction.
i

Last edited:

rusra02

Premium Member
Scripturally, I believe all people are bent toward badness. Genesis 8:21 says that "the inclination of the heart of man is bad from his youth up." Of course the choices a person makes ultimately determines whether he is evil or relatively "good". Also, I think our environment, parents, and associates can also greatly affect our conduct, attitude, and actions. But good people can become bad, and bad people can become good. We have free will to choose, IMO. Many choose badly.

I don't believe it, Ms communication having communication problems again and plagerizing again! Then engaging in name calling again!

Here's a nice test of how that GRE is working out for you:

- where did I engage in name calling in this thread?

And you don't know what plagiarism is. So stop accusing people of it.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The answer is positively yes, some people are born "dark"'.

I suppose it's possible, but is there any way for anyone to know this about a person at birth? I ask this because every so often, I come across news stories of parents who either kill or torture their own child because they think the child has been possessed by Satan or some other "evil spirit."

Even setting aside extreme cases like that, if someone is thought to have been born "dark," and is treated that way by their family and peers, then couldn't it become a self-fulfilling prophecy? Not because they were actually born that way, but because they were treated during their formative years in such a way that may bring out more bitterness, anger, and resentment later in life.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
The first part of your question is my own. The second part, for me it is objective. Being lazy and throwing temper tantrums is bad.
Y'know I saw this thread and was expecting something more than just "childish bad". I had this whole thing prepared about how some people are born with defective empathy centers, and others are made that way by trauma.

But your description is not so much "born bad" as much as it is someone being a childish prick. That's, yeah.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
Y'know I saw this thread and was expecting something more than just "childish bad". I had this whole thing prepared about how some people are born with defective empathy centers, and others are made that way by trauma.

But your description is not so much "born bad" as much as it is someone being a childish prick. That's, yeah.
"Are Some People Just Born A Bit Crappy?" didn't make for such a catchy title :D

J2hapydna

Why are some people short? In anti-social behaviour psychology there may be several underlying causes.

So would you say that just as some are very short and others extremely tall, there are some who are extremely kind and some who are extremely wicked but most of us lie somewhere in the middle and lean more to one side rather than the other? Do you think the distribution mimicks a bell curve?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
So would you say that just as some are very short and others extremely tall, there are some who are extremely kind and some who are extremely wicked but most of us lie somewhere in the middle and lean more to one side rather than the other? Do you think the distribution mimicks a bell curve?

Yes, I would say it most likely does. Autism, for example, is on a spectrum. One of the named conditions is Asperger's Syndrome, and looking at stuff like that can give a person with observation or interest in human behaviour great aid in understanding a person.

Anger related issues have quite the foray of possible causes, like abuse that has been repressed, chemical imbalance, etc. Gone are the days when we just labeled people good, or wicked. (Really dislike that word) That's far too simplistic. Personally, perhaps because I was a teacher, I look for underlying causes. 'Delusions of grandeur' is another one that can be quite overwhelming, even the unthinkable degree of an absolute belief that they themselves are God, or infallible.

Even on these forums there are people who left due to their own anger.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Case in point...

Why are some people bad?
My view is that what is good or bad is subjective to one's personal view as we compare one person with another.

An example would be that decades ago my wife and I would have verbal argument. I would say "I don't like fighting!" and she would retort, "WE ARE NOT FIGHTING!".

The reason why is that she came from a home where fighting was with fists, kicks and hair pulling.

However, in the Christian perspective, the plumb-line is God. Therefore, with that comparison, everyone is bad (in varying degrees).