• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Skepticism “lonely defenders of science and reason”?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Science should be questioned, as well. This is how you keep scientists in check. There are many ways that skepticism can be applied to science. You can question its metaphysics, like does an objective reality exists apart from perceptual reality? You can question its epistemology. Can science be used for anything, like art, history?
"Science should be questioned, as well."

I agree with one here.

Regards

night912

A skeptic should not be, yes. But we both know that when you say skeptic, what comes to mind is someone who is an atheist and one that tries to debunk superstition and religious claims. Atheists are not true skeptics even though they use skepticism. A true skeptic is willing to question all beliefs and philosophies, atheism and science included.

Thomas Huxley was a true skeptic.
You've been talking about eastern philosophy, yet you've just made an assumption. It's just like the western philosophy that you said shouldn't be so relied upon.

tayla

My dog's name is Tayla

Or, are they “self-appointed vigilantes”?
Do skeptics seek out and punish those who question science and reason? Is that your question?

And by the word "skeptic", are you referring to someone who doubts the claims of religions and spiritual paths regarding the supernatural and God? Someone who seeks evidence for the existence of these before accepting the claims?

JesusKnowsYou

All right then. You are using the fantasyland definition of science, and that does not help your case.
No skeptic is free of bias. The truths of science, just like the truths of religion, are instantly defiled when they come into contact with Man.

I would love it if the truth of science and religion were left pure and whole, but rather than living in "fantasyland" I'm accepting the reality of this life.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
No skeptic is free of bias.

That is why science does not expect absence of bias, you know, and developed methods to deal with its presence.

The truths of science, just like the truths of religion, are instantly defiled when they come into contact with Man.

According to which mythology exactly? Just for the sake of knowing what you are talking about.

I would love it if the truth of science and religion were left pure and whole, but rather than living in "fantasyland" I'm accepting the reality of this life.

Whatever floats your boat, I suppose.

MonkeyFire

Skepticism might be alright, but disbelief won't make it. I just wonder what will you be skeptical to when all is perfect... unless compassion tells God we have a divine/moral obligation to take care of the sick and needy who exist only in hell.

night912

Reductive materialism is one of the biggest errors of Western science. If you are a Buddhist, you should already see this error. In Western thought, everything (including consciousness) can be reduced to matter and its properties. In Eastern thought, everything can be reduced to consciousness.

Notice that consciousness has resisted any material explanation. There is a reason for this. There is also a reason why many scientists are consulting Eastern thinkers. Even Albert Einstein consulted Eastern mystics.
I don't know which Eastern thought you're referring to, but I've never heard of any Eastern thought that is like what you are describing.

Swami

I don't know which Eastern thought you're referring to, but I've never heard of any Eastern thought that is like what you are describing.
I am referring mostly to Hinduism. Buddhism and all other Eastern thought evolved from Hinduism.

In Hinduism, only Brahman (fundamental reality) is real. The world is an illusion.

Yoga Vasistha, Book III 7:39-43
39 In the beginning this world which appears so very vast and extensive was not in being. It resided in the pure spirit of Brahma. It has evolved from the mind of Brahma*. 40 The thing called the world was never produced, it is not in being, and it does not actually appear. It is like gold in the form of a bracelet. It is not difficult to alter and reduce to its gross metallic state.
41 I will explain it fully by other examples whereby this truth may appear of itself and impress itself irresistibly in your mind. 42 How can something be said to exist that was never brought into existence? How can there be water in the mirage, or the ring of an eclipse in the moon? 43As a barren woman has no son and a mirage has no water, and as the sky has no plant growing in it, so there is no such thing as what we falsely call the world.

Yoga VasisthaBook VI, ch. 31 vs. 1-3
1 Vasishta said:— He who has devoted his whole soul to the contemplation of Consciousness and feels it stirring within himself, knows in his mind the vanity and unreality of all worldly things. 2 By habituating himself to this sort of meditation and seeing the outward objects in his perceptive soul, he sees the external world like an appearance in his dream. 3 All this is truly the form of Consciousness represented in a different garb. Consciousness is more subtle than pure air, but collects and condenses itself as the solid world, then recognizes itself as such. The world is no other than the consolidated consciousness, and there is nothing beside this anywhere.

Last edited:

Swami

In materialism, everything is a manifestation of matter. In Eastern thought, everything is a manifestation of consciousness.

Swami

You're wrong. Hinduism, Buddhism, and other eastern thought is not just about consciousness.
Everything starts with consciousness. Consciousness is part of ultimate reality.

Hindu scriptures describe ultimate reality as Brahman. Brahman is non-dual pure consciousness, indivisible, incorporeal, infinite, and all-pervading like the sky. Brahman is of the nature of existence-knowledge-bliss-absolute-the ground of all existence, basis of all awareness, and source of all bliss. It is the reality of all realities, the soul of all souls, one without a second, the constant witness of the changing phenomena of the universe. From the absolute point of view, Brahman alone exists. Brahman has two aspects: transcendent and immanent. In Its transcendent aspect, Brahman is devoid of name and form, sex and attributes. But in Its immanent aspect, Brahman is endowed with them.
Hinduism: The Ultimate Reality

Our scriptures declare that creation is the play of consciousness. It differentiates itself into diverse things and in the end withdraws everything into itself for no apparent and specific reason because God does nothing with any particular aim or desire. Says the Yoga Vashista, "The world is nothing but a mere vibration of consciousness in space. It seems to exist even as a goblin seems to exist in the eyes of the ignorant. All this is but Maya: for here there is no contradiction between the infinite consciousness and the apparent existence of the universe. It is like the marvelous dream of a person who is awake."1
The Definition and Concept of Maya in Hinduism

Last edited:

JesusKnowsYou

That is why science does not expect absence of bias, you know, and developed methods to deal with its presence.
True religion also has it's methods.

Unfortunately, when dealing with both science and religion, we come across more bias than anything else.

The truth does not interesting headlines make.
According to which mythology exactly? Just for the sake of knowing what you are talking about.
I wasn't really talking about the mythology of any particular religion.

There is underlying and universal truths found in all religions.
Whatever floats your boat, I suppose.
I believe both you and I would prefer to live in reality.

Milton Platt

Or, are they “self-appointed vigilantes”?

How does one visualize the above, please?

Regards

Not everyone who claims to be a skeptic is one and not every skeptic is a good one. People are people

cladking

Not everyone who claims to be a skeptic is one and not every skeptic is a good one. People are people

Almost everyone on the net who claims to be a "skeptic" has swallowed the current beliefs hook line and sinker. Most don't do much critical thinking and can't recognize facts and logic unless it agrees with what they believe. They are vigilantes who shoot down anything that doesn't dovetail with current beliefs and the reasons for current belief.

Milton Platt

Almost everyone on the net who claims to be a "skeptic" has swallowed the current beliefs hook line and sinker. Most don't do much critical thinking and can't recognize facts and logic unless it agrees with what they believe. They are vigilantes who shoot down anything that doesn't dovetail with current beliefs and the reasons for current belief.

You will have to dispense with the huge generalizations.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Do they- the "Skeptics" and the like, usually take refuge behind "Scientism" (knowing not much of real Science) and the current trend ideologies? Is it so, please?

Regards

Last edited: